L618 fixes The Beast in 1080p!

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
So last night I turned my 722 "off" around 9PM. Abound 20 minutes later it gets really loud for a minute and then gets quiet again. I thought that was odd ... never did that before ... did some sort of update get pushed? Off to SatelliteGuys and sure enough they report that L618 got pushed to more receivers.

So, I turn the receiver on, and sure enough L618.

I immediate go to my recordings of The Beast in 1080p that I have downloaded prior and play episode 107 that I had downloaded using L617 ... sadly 1080i :(

So I delete episode 106 that I still had and download it again ... hmmm ... it is different this time ... I am usually always prompted to the effect ... your TV might not work with 1080p, so you might be downloaded a version that will work for your TV ... again, no such prompt this time ...

My 722 is set to do its normal reboot at 5:30AM ... at 7AM I check to see if my download had completed ... surprise, surprise ... it was done! :eek:

I go to my download and hit play ...

... drum roll ...

IT WORKED!

:bounce

@party

Another interesting thing I noticed ... I went to play episode 107 that I had downloaded using L617 as noted above ... it even played in 1080p! I am not sure why it did not work last night however when I tried it. The only thing that I can think of is that my 722 did its morning reboot thing ...

There were rumors that L618 fixed some 1080p issues ... I can confirm this. :up

Is anybody running it through your hdmi connection via home theatre reciever? I cannot get my sound to work on my downloads no problems with picture at 1080p just sound going through to reciever....can hear it okay via optical and via t.v. but not hdmi?

Hmmm ... that would be a good test ... won't know until I get home unfortunately ... if someone else wants to test and report in the mean time, that would be great!

Well, I just tried playing The Beast ... I confirmed that my TV said 1080p ... I then went to my TV2 ... I could change channels, do the guide without any issues!

Is it safe to assume that the 1080p still only works for 24fps sets and not 60fps sets? I have the 60 (if you couldn't tell). Is there any hope that they will ever make it so my set will show 1080p as well?

Thanks!

Is anybody running it through your hdmi connection via home theatre reciever? I cannot get my sound to work on my downloads no problems with picture at 1080p just sound going through to reciever....can hear it okay via optical and via t.v. but not hdmi?

I am running it through a Denon 3808ci via HDMI and get 1080p picture to my Pioneer 6020 and DD sound.

Is it safe to assume that the 1080p still only works for 24fps sets and not 60fps sets? I have the 60 (if you couldn't tell). Is there any hope that they will ever make it so my set will show 1080p as well?

Thanks!

If you have a 60hz display there is no difference if you get the VOD at 1080i60 or 1080p24, there is no PQ loss.

Well, I just tried playing The Beast ... I confirmed that my TV said 1080p ... I then went to my TV2 ... I could change channels, do the guide without any issues!

Cool, thanks for checking that out! That issue has sort of 'delayed' me from running the cat5 cable to get this going.

For my TV ... I prefer "p" content. The OTA channels that are "p" seem to "pop out" more and be more "sharp" to me. The "i" channels seem a little soft.

When I had played The Beast where it finally played in 1080p, I remember thinking even before I had checked the TV settings ... " ... there we go ... " ... and sure enough, the TV reported 1080p.

Yes you can throw out the bit rates and all of the other stuff that can basically say that there is no difference between "i" and "p", but as for my eyes and my television, I prefer "p" content. :up

To get back on topic ...

As to when Dish will open it up to other 1080p formats ... you need to ask them. For every episode of The Beast, I sent in an email to Dish support saying it does not work ... that has been at least a half a dozen emails. I think others from this group have as well ... if enough people complain ... maybe Dish will listen.

Note I just came over here to report on the L618 changes. It is not quite working for me yet. I had previously downloaded a episode for beast and watched it in 1080i. I now find that the same episode attempts to show in 1080p24 but mostly it doesn't show (blinking in every once in a while and then blinks out). I am in the middle of trying to download another episode as originally it gave that message about downloading a copy that is compatible with your TV.

Yes ... correct.

In addition however, for my eyes and my TV ... I could tell the difference between The Beast 1080i and 1080p ...

That's got everything to do with bitrate and nothing to do with the format of the signal between the STB and your TV (unless your TV has a really awful deinterlacer). If your TV's deinterlacer is good, then you've already been watching 1080p24 from both Dish and OTA for as long as you've owned your TV, despite the fact that you're receiving a 1080i signal. Scripted TV shows and movies are almost all 24p, and that's what a decent deinterlacer will recover and reconstruct from 1080i60.

I downloaded episode 7 last night on my 722k... unfortunately the 722k still only displayed the show in 1080i.

It took 7 hours to download it. I wonder how big each episode is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)