Lame PC World Story about HD DVRs

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I was catching up on reading an article from PC WORLD, August issue (I misplaced it and just found it). To my surprise, they had an article about HD DVRs, talking about how few there were, and how lame they were. What irritated me about the article was that they completely ignored the vip622; they talked about D*, and cable, but complained that none of the receivers they saw had more than 15 hours of storage. And they really wanted something with dual tuners....

They seriously missed the boat in ignoring the 622, IMHO. :rolleyes:

So email them

I was catching up on reading an article from PC WORLD, August issue (I misplaced it and just found it). To my surprise, they had an article about HD DVRs, talking about how few there were, and how lame they were. What irritated me about the article was that they completely ignored the vip622; they talked about D*, and cable, but complained that none of the receivers they saw had more than 15 hours of storage. And they really wanted something with dual tuners....

They seriously missed the boat in ignoring the 622, IMHO. :rolleyes:

So email PC World and maybe they will do a follow up. In fact it would be really good if they compared the lame HR20 and working Vip622.

Wired magazine (gadgets) issue just gave it (the 622) the same number of stars as thier winner box the new Tivo deal...

Last edited:
The problem with PC World and, for that matter, PC Magazine, and other as well is that it takes them many months to publish an article that someone submits. I wrote a few for a couple of magazines and it took them six months after they accepted the articles for them to publish them. The article on HD DRVs may have been written before the ViP622 came out in February.

that's why i don't subscribe to magazines anymore. everything is obsolete by the time you read about it.

that's why i don't subscribe to magazines anymore. everything is obsolete by the time you read about it.

It does depend on the magazine. Widescreen Review had extensive coverage of stuff that happened at the Denver CEDIA in the November issue which came out about a month after the show.

It does depend on the magazine. Widescreen Review had extensive coverage of stuff that happened at the Denver CEDIA in the November issue which came out about a month after the show.

I good magazine that I subscribe to. But there own site has the same info 2 weeks to a month earlier. E.g. the CEDIA coverage.

I checked the issue of PC WORLD. It was dated August (meaning it was on the stands in July); and had statistical data in one story as of May 22, 2006. About 2 months..

That said, I suspect the article in question was written BEFORE that day. Three months probably is about right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)