Landlord forcing us to remove dishes from patio/balcony

I agre. the installer had no business using an antenna at an adjacent unit.
He should have installed a new antenna inside the OP's exclusive space.
The OP may have a gripe big enough to get Dish out there ro properly install his antenna.
Good thinking.

I already called Dish, at first they said they would charge 99.00 then I called back and was going to cancel and they said they would waive the fee.

I already called Dish, at first they said they would charge 99.00 then I called back and was going to cancel and they said they would waive the fee.

Excellent..
Here's a link to what I recommend .Yes it is a bit pricey. But it sure beats the crap out a bucklet mount that will tip over every time somebody sneezes...
You'll need 4 cinder blocks for weight to hold the mount in place.
Use the one with the 1.66" OD mast...
Antenna Mounts

Oh..This device is called a "non penetrating roof mount"..
If you buy it yourself, you'll save an expected markup in the retail price...For example we sell a similar mount for $125.00

Excellent..
Here's a link to what I recommend .Yes it is a bit pricey. But it sure beats the crap out a bucklet mount that will tip over every time somebody sneezes...
You'll need 4 cinder blocks for weight to hold the mount in place.
Use the one with the 1.66" OD mast...
Antenna Mounts

Oh..This device is called a "non penetrating roof mount"..
If you buy it yourself, you'll save an expected markup in the retail price...For example we sell a similar mount for $125.00

When I moved the Dish installer had to make a temporary mount and just drilled the arm mount into two cinder blocks. It might not be as ugly as a bucket and is a little more stable in my opinion.

Wait a minute here, the landlord gave you written permission in Febuary to install on the Balcany, and inturn you went ahead and signed a 2 year committment with DISH Network.

One of three things need to happen here for that Dish to be removed...

#1 Your lease expires and your land lord renews it, at which point he could require the Dish be mounted in a bucket.

#2 You move

#3 Your committment ends with Dish

Unless your lease renewed between now and Febuary, your landlord either pays to have the Dish moved to his desired location, or he pays the cancellation fee for you to cancel your account with DISH.

As far as the Dish being used on another tenants unit, thats kind of your fault you let the installer get away with doing that. You need to really go back to the installer and get him to bring you out another Dish and to do the installation he never performed!

Not on HIS balcony

The landlord agreed that he could have it install on HIS balcony. It isn't on his it is on another balcony. So he is not doing what was agreed upon. I've used non-pen mounts in the past but if the guy wants to have room on it to do other things then I have another suggestion. Go get the tripod and pole of the right diameter. Spread legs of tripod and attach it to 2 pieces of treated 2X4 which are in a T shape with lag screws. The wooden T is secured together with a heavy duty steel T from hardware store. Place one bag of dry ready mix onto the T. It won't likely be going anywhere then. As it rains the ready mix hardens so it will not shift from it's location short of winds in which he isn't going to want to be there anyway.

OTARD gives no limit on number of antennas for desired service!

Are you sure about that? So does that mean that all of the customers that require a second dish to receive their programming aren't covered by OTARD?:confused:
dishcomm is mistaken on that one.

Q: Can a restriction limit the number of antennas that may be installed at a particular location?
The Commission’s rule covers the antennas necessary to receive service. Therefore, a local rule may not, for example, allow only one antenna if more than one antenna is necessary to receive the desired service.

Just move to a house.......

I wish it was that easy. I am in my 30s and this is the first time I have ever lived in an apartment. I have always owned my homes but this past February got divorced and let her have the home. So I am kind of in a transition period. I definitely miss owning my own place that is for sure. Even if I rented a home, I could run into the same problem.

The tripod sounds like a great idea--the cinderblock idea seems good too or at least cheaper...But I am worried that in his letter he stated it could only be installed in a bucket so that is what I am going to do. I am going to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket to the balcony. That way it shouldnt move or tip over.

I never signed a commitment with Dish, I paid up front for the install. The Dish installers though kind of limited my ability to fight but like I said I honestly don't have a lot of fight in me right now.

Are you sure about that? So does that mean that all of the customers that require a second dish to receive their programming aren't covered by OTARD?:confused:
I read the rules. On this issue the rules are a bit vague.
They really do not say anything about it. But I have been to many properties where the owner or mgmnt company has limited each unit to one antenna.
To be very blunt, an apartment owner can completely ban antennas and get away with it. They may be in violation of the law but someone has to file complaint with the FCC and then wait for them to act which could take God knows how long.
I once went into an apertment complex that had just been purchased by a new owner. All of the buildings and grounds were beiing renovated. The place was going upscale.
I went to the office to ask what the restrctions were. Thye basically told me not to bother because new dishes were banned. They had written into all new leases that this was ther case. So when leases came up for renewal, the dish ban clause was in there. If the tenant refused to sign based on that clause they were no longer under a lease and were free to relocate. Under the law ,that is illegal. But who's going to fight them?

The tripod sounds like a great idea--the cinderblock idea seems good too or at least cheaper...But I am worried that in his letter he stated it could only be installed in a bucket so that is what I am going to do. I am going to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket to the balcony. That way it shouldnt move or tip over.

I never signed a commitment with Dish, I paid up front for the install. The Dish installers though kind of limited my ability to fight but like I said I honestly don't have a lot of fight in me right now.

How are you going to remove the bucket when you leave? If you screw it to the deck and the bucket is filled with concrete you will have to tear the deck up to get the bucket out. That will leave you responsible for repair to the building structure and that will get expensive.

I would go around and find all of the tennants that have a sat dish on the balcony and organize them. Then look at some sort of MDU maybe?

DISH Network - 1.800.454.0843

That way you can tell the landlord that you would also like to see fewer dishes and think this is a win for everyone. :)

That is a good idea! Just wonder how willing the landlord would be to pay for that?

I think you should get the tripod and a cinder block or 2. The you will be mobile!

That is a good idea! Just wonder how willing the landlord would be to pay for that?

I think you should get the tripod and a cinder block or 2. The you will be mobile!

I have no idea how much something like that would cost, but it would probably be the best solution for the owner.

Maybe they could see if more people would be interested in signing up and work something out with Dish? Just a thought.

The passive aggressive in me says: Find the ugliest rustiest and beat up bucket you can find, make sure it’s highly visible from the common areas and go for it! Don’t forget to paint your dish some obnoxious fluorescent color.
That's funny.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I move I had just planned on taking a sledge hammer to the bucket--I wasn't going to put large screws in, just basic deck screws that would provide some security. But I had not thought of that--I may just end up putting screws in on the outside (at an angle) of the bucket after the concrete is drying.

I am pretty sure he wouldn't do a MDU--there are only about 10 Dish Network dishes--and about 20 directv ones.

It really must be nice for people to be able to sit around all day and see what type of stupid things they can come up with to occupy others' time. I just have received a letter from my landlord. I live in a 3 story apt building. It says we have 60 days to have our dishes removed from any part of the building/balcony. All dishes now have to be placed on the balcony in a bucket of sand or cement.

Effective in 2 months, all dishes connected to the building will be removed and disposed of. I did call Dish who informed me of "my rights" but this really isn't going to help anything. I know what my rights are but how can I go about fighting this?

Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice is to seek the help of your local "rent board" agency. If you don't have one, then legal aid can assist. Without the government (rent board) nor a letter from an attorney, you really have no choice but to comply, even though the law may be on your side. Of course, comply and follow-up, the gov can make the landlord follow the law.

We sell Business accounts all the time and unless its Free for the landlord or management company, then you can forget about it.

All these landlords and management companys have this bug up their ass that they think we are making money on the monthly service, and are getting rich off of it.

Fact of the matter is that a commerical installation costs money, and we can't afford to wire an entire building without the guarantee we will sign up anyone. Most of these land lords want people to have a choice leave the cable company in their complex also. When the owners decide to keep cable, we can't make no money period!

The best type of accounts for a small apartment would be a bulk account, where everyone gets the same programming and then the land lord can include it in their rent.

Americas everything package is about $40 per month in bulk, so raise the rent $50 per tenant and everyone is in a win win situation!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)