Landlord forcing us to remove dishes from patio/balcony

What you do if you want to fight it is simple. Find a GOOD lawyer, and have him notify the landlord that you intend to sue based on such and such statute etc. If they think you are serious they will back down. You don't have to wait for the FCC. A judge can read the statutes for himself and their is probably tons of case law on it. It is a pain in the arse, but if you want to do it on principle you can.

May be a violation

The tripod sounds like a great idea--the cinderblock idea seems good too or at least cheaper...But I am worried that in his letter he stated it could only be installed in a bucket so that is what I am going to do. I am going to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket to the balcony. That way it shouldnt move or tip over.

I never signed a commitment with Dish, I paid up front for the install. The Dish installers though kind of limited my ability to fight but like I said I honestly don't have a lot of fight in me right now.

The attaching the bucket by drilling holes into concrete may violate your rental agreement. So epoxy it to the concrete.

The attaching the bucket by drilling holes into concrete may violate your rental agreement. So epoxy it to the concrete.

It isnt concrete it is wood. Right now what I am thinking about doing is to put about 4 screws around the bucket. Get 3-4 inch screws and drill them around the bucket but leaving them up about an inch or so. This way the bucket won't move and it will be easy to remove.

I guess this just sort of touched a nerve with me. I have always owned a home until recently. I would buy another home but I am unsure if I want to stay in this area so I don't know. The landlord is just a jerk too, his letters are always condescending and full of threats. This isn't low income housing or anything like that. I consider myself a perfect tenant I guess--have had no complaints or requests, keep my outside area clean and I have corrected small problems myself (replaced faulty phone jacks, even corner tile that was not put down).

I really do appreciate the suggestions, initially I thought that he could not restrict attaching the satellite to the railing.

It would seem that if you have a signed document saying it is okay the way it is, you need to wave a copy in the property manager's face.

There's also some precedence supporting the idea that they let it go this long, they can't change their minds now.

Just to update--Dish network customer service--horrible. Local installers--awesome. The tech called me at 8am, had to clarify what was going on as the rep didn't document it. I told him I needed it in a bucket, he told me he would call his supervisor to find out what he could do. Well he called back and showed up with one of those mounts someone mentioned in the thread--basically it sits on my balcony and he used 4 bags of cement to weigh it down. Wasn't charged or anything.

Some lady did try to argue with him about it not being allowed. She kept yelling, "It can't be attached." He was cool about it but she just couldn't understand--so I came out on the balcony and said he took the one that was attached down--this ONE IS NOT ATTACHED.

Anyway, what number can I call to give a compliment? I always believe that good service has to be mentioned as much as bad.

If the signed install document allows installation ON the balcony, then using the railing would be installing/attaching it TO the balcony, wouldn't it?

If the signed install document allows installation ON the balcony, then using the railing would be installing/attaching it TO the balcony, wouldn't it?

Yeah but it wasn't attached to my balcony.

Yeah but it wasn't attached to my balcony.

Where I live, people have signed their own waiver forms and gotten the installs done. Many with holes drilled in the the walls of the building for the dish and cable runs! Little do they know that the owner will allow the dishes to be set on the roof or attached to a vent pipe and there is cable already installed in all units. Now if they only weren't trying to pull a fast one, and went the correct route, they wouldn't loose a good chunk of their deposits! :rolleyes:

Will never understand why there would be any issue with an install that isn't permanent or doing any damage (clamped to railing, etc). Guess they figure it's easier to say no to all buy stand alone setups.

Glad everything worked out for you.

Just to update--Dish network customer service--horrible. Local installers--awesome. The tech called me at 8am, had to clarify what was going on as the rep didn't document it. I told him I needed it in a bucket, he told me he would call his supervisor to find out what he could do. Well he called back and showed up with one of those mounts someone mentioned in the thread--basically it sits on my balcony and he used 4 bags of cement to weigh it down. Wasn't charged or anything.

Some lady did try to argue with him about it not being allowed. She kept yelling, "It can't be attached." He was cool about it but she just couldn't understand--so I came out on the balcony and said he took the one that was attached down--this ONE IS NOT ATTACHED.

Anyway, what number can I call to give a compliment? I always believe that good service has to be mentioned as much as bad.

I think you now are the proud user of a non penetrating roof mount. It's a sqaure rack like object with a mast protruding in the center. Usually weighted down with bags of concrete or preferably cinder blocks.
Congrats!!
One thing tho.. How the tech was able to give that thing away is a miracle.
Anyway..Good stuff. Glad you got to keep your system...
Now....."Some lady"... Ahh yes. the interloping neighbor.
Have dealt with them on occasion.
A townhome install. Guy cruises by in his SUV. Claims to be an HOA board member. Starts giving ME static about the dish being visible from the street. He got out of his vehicle and started down the driveway. I told him he needed to back off. He continued. Then my 6 foot 4 inch 230 lb customer walks out and the guy gets back in his SUV an drives off. Good move on his part.
I have other neighbor stories.
Heck I may start a thread on those. Stay tuned...

I think you now are the proud user of a non penetrating roof mount. It's a sqaure rack like object with a mast protruding in the center. Usually weighted down with bags of concrete or preferably cinder blocks.
Congrats!!
One thing tho.. How the tech was able to give that thing away is a miracle.
Anyway..Good stuff. Glad you got to keep your system...
Now....."Some lady"... Ahh yes. the interloping neighbor.
Have dealt with them on occasion.
A townhome install. Guy cruises by in his SUV. Claims to be an HOA board member. Starts giving ME static about the dish being visible from the street. He got out of his vehicle and started down the driveway. I told him he needed to back off. He continued. Then my 6 foot 4 inch 230 lb customer walks out and the guy gets back in his SUV an drives off. Good move on his part.
I have other neighbor stories.
Heck I may start a thread on those. Stay tuned...

Yeah that is what it is. I have no idea either but I really do appreciate it which is why I wanted to call someone to notify them of my good experience. I was thinking of perhaps using ceo@dish email.

Nobody seemed to mention the railing mount. If the railing of your balcony is sturdy enough there's a mount that has two steel plates that sandwich the rails and the mast attaches to that. It's a non-pen that is pretty common at some apartment complexes here.

Nobody seemed to mention the railing mount. If the railing of your balcony is sturdy enough there's a mount that has two steel plates that sandwich the rails and the mast attaches to that. It's a non-pen that is pretty common at some apartment complexes here.

Could you post a picture of it or URL to ? I would like to use it in a future.

The problem with that method is that it's not covered by OTARD since it would extend out over the balcony. While this may be allowed by the landlord now, that doesn't mean it won't change in the future and the OP would have to go through this process again.

Could you post a picture of it or URL to ? I would like to use it in a future.

The easiest way to do it is to take a second foot plate from another mast, then sandwich the railing between the two foot plates. Bolt the plates together with some long bolts and nuts.

If the landlord approve it, then you should not be having any problems. If not, they do have the rights to tell you to remove it. But, since you are living there and not moving out, I see they are being a bXtch trying to force you to move out or give you tons of nah nah nah issues.

For Apt/Condo, it is better to get cable or AT&T U-Verse. This way, they cannot do anything. But, always let the landlord know that you are getting SAT being doing so. If not, then they got their rights too.

Where does OTARD come up short there? As long as it is mounted somewhere under the tenant's exclusive use or control, it should be okay.

Otard does not cover parts of the antena that extend across into the common area. In other words, if any part of the dish extends beyond the railing, it is within the authority of the owner/management to compel the tenant to remove/relocate the dish.

It isn't particularly easy to support the idea that airspace is owned when your dealing with the FCC. Airspace would seem to supersede the concept of "common area".

If you don't own the property, you will have to remove the.

I sympathize with you, however, understand that the landlord may have other reasons than making your life difficult. If every tenant put up a dish, the building would not look very nice. I've seen apartment buildings that looked pretty bad due to all the dishes.

You might ask him how many people are affected and if the number is big, ask if he will install a single dish with a switch to allow everyone to feed from.

The problem with that method is that it's not covered by OTARD since it would extend out over the balcony. While this may be allowed by the landlord now, that doesn't mean it won't change in the future and the OP would have to go through this process again..

It doesn't have to overhand the railing. The dish can be mounted on the interior of the railing. There is an actual railing mount with adjustable slides and dedicated bolts for the mast but I can't find a pic. Another way is to get 2 fascia plates and sandwich the rails while bolting the mast to those. The purpose designed railing mount is pretty new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts