Laptop 802.11 connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how to disable encryption on my laptop. I use XP Home BTW. As for the pop up blocker that is not the situation here. The networks involved do not use pop ups.

BTW I am already allowing infrastructure hookups---which is how I get on at home.

I will report on other settings this evening. Thanks for trying to help guys. We may not be getting anywhere but I appreciate the effort.

charper1 said:
What O/S and version are you using? What wireless adapter? I use this method below with ZERO hassels anywhere I go; open free net or paid.

Get to it how you like: Right click 'Network" on the desktop and select properties. Right click the adapter and select properties. Do you see any of the below settings/tabs?

In the wireless adapter's TCP/IP general properties tab, make sure both Obtain IP and Obtain DNS are set to AUTO.

In the Alternate Config tab (if you have it) also AUTO private IP.

On the wireless network tab; is "USE WINDOWS" selected to handle your wireless settings? Make it so, if not.

In the preferred networks field look at the networks your adapter has seen: click the network in question and select properties, and correct the options to your needs. (do that for any other networks as well).

Click the advanced button, select ANY AVAL and decide if you want the AUTO connect.

OK or back out and reboot to see if you are better off/working.

It is a Broadcom internal 801.11 adapter.

allelse is and was set as you describe. It mut be something else.

Well thats the exact same internal wireless adapter I have in my HP laptop. Can you connect at the local library or any other open (non-WEP/WEP encrypted) and free (non-subscription or login needed) network?

If so, the issue must be with that particular network and how your laptop authentication is interacting with it.

If not, then there is a setup issue, being slightly overlooked.

Since you know others that are connecting to said network, if they have similar hardware, just look/ask what their setups are.

You can go here and search some additional free WiFi spots in your area:

http://www.jiwire.com/

http://www.wifi411.com/

http://www.hotspothaven.com/

OK here's one. Is it a B or G adaptor. If it is a B adaptor and the place you are trying to sign on is G only it will see the router but will not connect. More than likely the place is going to be set for mixed.

EDIT :Well I read more and you said it was new so it should be G.

Does this network's admin (be it pro or amateur) know you are trying to connect to their network? If so, it seems they should be able to provide the BEST help, as they know exactly what they have and how it is setup and will have access to your laptop on site and can see exactly what you have and how it is setup.

Geronimo- I had asked about the IP assignment to try to decypher where you were at in the connect process. As a matter of fact, you do get an IP assigned as soon as your computer accepts it. If you are in auto scan and you are on the right system (as mentioned earlier B only or G only, B or G, Infrastructure, etc, then the IP is assigned after just a few seconds in an open system. From that point, depending on the way their wifi lan is designed you may or may not have to "sign on" As for the discussion, it does seem peculiar that you know about all these others who are on it with no problem yet you don't give too much detail on the way this lan works, nor do you offer details on how you have your system configured.
I'm at a trade show in Las Vegas, If I turn on my wifi I can see over 50 wifi systems, nearly all are secure. But a few are public service requiring a sign in page with credit card etc. Then there are some that are wide open. I have my adapter set to auto configure, so the step by step process is simple- The wifi signal at the top of the list will make an attempt first, if encrypted, it will move to the next one and so forth until it finds a public one which is open but may be subscription. These, while open require login but before I join these I will receive an IP. IN a completely open and no join requirement, all I get is the IP assigned and then I can open IE and surf the web. When the wifi is encrypted, you have to exchange the keys before the router will issue you an IP. Thus the process for an encrypted wifi is slightly different than the steps in an open wifi.

The Tate said:
OK here's one. Is it a B or G adaptor. If it is a B adaptor and the place you are trying to sign on is G only it will see the router but will not connect. More than likely the place is going to be set for mixed.

EDIT :Well I read more and you said it was new so it should be G.

My adapter isa G adapter. Even if it was not B adapters can connect to G they are compatible both ways----at the slower speed.

Last edited:
Don Landis said:
Geronimo- I had asked about the IP assignment to try to decypher where you were at in the connect process. As a matter of fact, you do get an IP assigned as soon as your computer accepts it. If you are in auto scan and you are on the right system (as mentioned earlier B only or G only, B or G, Infrastructure, etc, then the IP is assigned after just a few seconds in an open system. From that point, depending on the way their wifi lan is designed you may or may not have to "sign on" As for the discussion, it does seem peculiar that you know about all these others who are on it with no problem yet you don't give too much detail on the way this lan works, nor do you offer details on how you have your system configured.
I'm at a trade show in Las Vegas, If I turn on my wifi I can see over 50 wifi systems, nearly all are secure. But a few are public service requiring a sign in page with credit card etc. Then there are some that are wide open. I have my adapter set to auto configure, so the step by step process is simple- The wifi signal at the top of the list will make an attempt first, if encrypted, it will move to the next one and so forth until it finds a public one which is open but may be subscription. These, while open require login but before I join these I will receive an IP. IN a completely open and no join requirement, all I get is the IP assigned and then I can open IE and surf the web. When the wifi is encrypted, you have to exchange the keys before the router will issue you an IP. Thus the process for an encrypted wifi is slightly different than the steps in an open wifi.

Don, 110% correct and exactly what I have been trying to dig at with this problem.

Don Landis said:

No. I do NOT get an IP address. I cannot connect in anyway.

Geronimo said:
B adapters can connect to G they are compatible both ways.

Some systems, like mine, can be set to ignore, or not allow anything other than G adapters. AND in fact I am set to do this, along with being 128-bit WEP encrypted and requiring all users on my home network to have a username/pswd combo that is assigned by me. Before I went WEP, my network was wide open (as you say) but still needed the username/pswd. AND being a home network, is non-payment. I have my assignment of IPs limited to a range of 20 IPs.

What is the purpose or use of this network you are trying to access? Have you contacted the owner or admin as I suggested earlier? If you are not getting an IP auto assigned, MAYBE that network has a limited number of IPs. I don't know because we are all still digging to get some details about what this network is.

Last edited:
Perhaps but I have a g adapter. And is at least one case a b adapter can connect. So that can't be it.

As for the other network I have told you from the beginning that the one and only network I can link to is my home one. When I travel I can't connect to ANYTHING. I see it. But I cannot connect and therefore no IP is assigned. I agree that it must be a function of an improper setting ----but where?

But wea e not getting anywhere. I do thank you all for trying but it is time to move on.

Last edited:
"But wea e not getting anywhere. I do thank you all for trying but it is time to move on."

Sounds like a plan. Best of luck. The information contained in this thread will get you connected, You just need to follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)