LAPTOP NEEDS SEVERAL HITS OF "ON" BUTTON TO STAY ON

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
I have an HP/Compaq laptop that is approx 4-5 years old. For the last several months I have had to press the "on" button several times to get it to stay on and boot up. Any help or suggestions for me guys? Or is it just failing and it's days are numbered. Hope that's not the case, as everything else about it works fine.:help:

Perhaps CMOS battery is dying?

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Is it a dv6000 or dv9000? These are notorious for the video chip solder coming loose and it needs to be reflowed. Do a google search with your model number and video chip or one of the other words I've used in the search. You will find videos with a few different ways of fixing this. None are guaranteed to succeed. The replacement boards all have the same problem. As the others have said if you can get it to start and run then backup your data.

Thanks for your input guys. Will save my data and start looking for a replacement. Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the refurb units on ebay?

If you were a little closer to me, I would offer to replace the power button for you. It looks like the fix could only be a few dollars if you have the dv6000. Is your HP a DV6000?

HP bought out Compaq several years ago.

It sounds like a short with the power switch. I echo those that say to back up all of your personal data and look for a replacement. I would stay away from HP. If you are looking for another Windows based laptop look at Dell. If you don't care what operating system it runs and have a budget to support it look at a Mac. :)

Thanks again for the info guys. Would still like to hear from anyone with experience with refurb units on ebay.

I would imagine it all depends on particular sellers (check their reputation and waranty terms).
I wouldn't buy a computer without a good waranty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)