Studebaker driver
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
My Acer is starting to beep, the beep you hear when you unplug the power cable. Thing is, it's still plugged in. Wiggling the cable doesn't make it beep, but sometimes it does when I pick up it up. The other day the power button light started flashing. Sometimes the screen dims like when you disconnect the power cable. I think there is a bad connection inside, not the power cable jack. Any other ideas? I think it may be time for a new laptop!

My personal opinion, its the internal jack.Seen so many of them go bad.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Which would be an easy fix.

BTW if it dies, would a tablet be a good replacement?

Now it does beep sometimes when wiggling the cable. That may be it. Got any idea what it would cost to fix? I suck at soldering.

Its a pita to get to them, have to remove nearly everything.Once your to it though even a novice can solder it.Just guessing 25 to 40 if paying to get it fixed.

Maybe I'll give it a try. It's all your fault if I screw it up though!

In this day and age of tablets, I still think I would go with a laptop to replace a laptop. I almost went with a tablet with a pc processor like an i5 or i7 and was going to connect it to a monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse so that I could have portability like a laptop. Most of my laptops are connected to monitors and keyboard/mouse now anyways. The future is a device such as a phone that you can connect to a monitor and use it as a computer as well without the need of a separate computer.

In this day and age of tablets, I still think I would go with a laptop to replace a laptop. I almost went with a tablet with a pc processor like an i5 or i7 and was going to connect it to a monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse so that I could have portability like a laptop. Most of my laptops are connected to monitors and keyboard/mouse now anyways. The future is a device such as a phone that you can connect to a monitor and use it as a computer as well without the need of a separate computer.

I decided to replace one of my old failing laptops with a Surface 3, it does not come out until the 20th, but reviews have been good so far.

I fix a lot of laptops and the most common issue is the connector.

If you take it to a computer place they will tell you its $175 to fix it. But I am always able to fix it for under $10. Just take it apeart and look for the part number on the connector and type it into google. Order it and then install it. It's not that hard. :)

Tablets are nice for those who move around allot in the office so forth but I still prefer the laptop. But again that's why there are plenty of options to choose from due to everyone needs are little different. :)

I would recommend fixing it as well. One thing that I use is a pill organizer to keep track of all those different screws. Also there are many how to articles on how to solder on youtube. Sometimes depending on your model laptop there are even videos on how to take it apart too.

Good luck with it!

Reactions: Teehar
I haven't fixed it yet, but there is no soldering involved, just a lot of little screws! The jack comes prewired, so it's just a matter of removing the old one and plugging in the new one.

Fortunate that the power jack on your laptop is not soldered directly to the motherboard. On the ones that are, frequent damage occurs to the soldered connections, or even damage to the circuit board itself because of frequent pulling or sudden accidental strong jerking of the power cable. I do not know the model number of your particular laptop, but the video below should give you some idea of the work involved. In this video you will see a smaller pill organizer than the the one I provided a link too. I like the larger number of bays to segregate the screws in groups and order they were removed, no matter if they are perceived as the same size or not. That way when replacing the screws in reverse order you will be aware of how many should go back to that particular part or area. Also keep in mind that basic circuit boards and other parts are used in different products and that your laptop may have additional mounting screw holes that are not used. A good way to keep track of what is not used (if present) is to mark those holes with a black marker or felt tip pen. Another suggestion that might be helpful is to photograph the different stages of disassembly. That way if you are unsure how something is to be placed you can refer back to your images. Mark all cables and their specific connections with a unique mark.

Some or most of this friendly advice you may not need, but believe me you don't want to be putting your laptop back together and realize you are unsure what goes where or which way. (left right top or bottom)

Finally got around to replacing the dc power jack. A pia to remove everything, but not difficult. It took about 45 minutes I'd guess. The jack was $13 on eBay.

Finally got around to replacing the dc power jack. A pia to remove everything, but not difficult. It took about 45 minutes I'd guess. The jack was $13 on eBay.
I recently had to replace a seal in the steering column on a 1963 Ford 4000 tractor.Actual seal replacement,about 10 minutes,taking half the tractor apart to get at the steering column,2+ hours,longer to put it back together :biggrin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)