Laptop recommendations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have been playing with the touch smarts at the local BB and they seem very cool. THe reviews though have been kind of mixed. In that they appear to be kind of slow and run hot. I used to have a HP years ago and it was a furnace.

But it is on the list of contenders. Thanks.

Anyone have experience with Samsung laptops, or the ASUS full-powered ones? We have two ASUS netbooks and they are pretty good for their purpose.

I have an Asus 1000H NETbook and I love it. (It's what I'm using right now) It doesn't Fold worth a crap, but it does most everything else great. My other laptop is an older Dell Latitude.

I have an Asus 1000H NETbook and I love it. (It's what I'm using right now) It doesn't Fold worth a crap, but it does most everything else great. My other laptop is an older Dell Latitude.

I have an asus netbook,and for its purposes, it is good.

I went back to Best Buy and checked out several other machines; I hate that so many of the laptops today have those flat-toy-like keys (like on the netbooks). I looked at a Toshiba E1805 Duo Core that I am thinking very seriously about as well. I decided to sleep on the whole thing and keep doing more research. It is tough that all of these new machines are brand new, and thus there are no real reviews.

My goal is 5lbs or less, 14" or smaller, 4GB of ram.

I can recommend the Dell Studio XPS 13 ... watta nice lappy that I got to replace a totaled m1210 beyond repair.

BTW: Loaded Mac OSX Snow Leopard fine, along with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (dual boot)

The Studio 13 looks nice; it is a bit more money than the Toshiba I am looking at. Both have duo cores with 1066MHz front-side buses, but the Toshiba has 4GB and the Dell has 3GB of ram; and the Toshiba has 250GB more hdd storage.

They look like similar machines though.

This is the toshiba: Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor - Mocha - E105-S1802

It is a best-buy exclusive model. I am going back to play with it when I am out later this morning.

The Studio 13 looks nice; it is a bit more money than the Toshiba I am looking at. Both have duo cores with 1066MHz front-side buses, but the Toshiba has 4GB and the Dell has 3GB of ram; and the Toshiba has 250GB more hdd storage.

Starting systems come with 3GB.. and go to 4GB like mine did.

Here is the specs I got from Dell with my "complete care"replaced XPS Studio 13.

Studio XPS 13 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P7350 (3MB cache/2.0GHz/1066Mhz FSB) MJP73UN
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
System Color Obsidian Black with Leather Accent BLKSV
MEMORY 4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms) 3G2D
LCD Panel Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD with 2.0 Megapixel Camera DXGAP
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G NV79XB
Hard Drive 250GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 250GB72
Internal Optical Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) 8XDVDRW
SOUND CARD High Definition Audio 2.0 IS
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1397 802.11a/g Half Mini-Card DW1397
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 6BAT
LCD and Camera Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD in Obsidian Black w/ 2 MP Webcam CFCXGAT
Processor Branding Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor

Nope, no hackintoshing for me. This machine will be running a lot of specialized Windows only software (SPSS 17, QSR Data Analysis; askSam; etc.. . I intend to use it for work to provide me with a way to be a bit more mobile.

I am trying to be smart with the setup; creating the restore discs. 5 DVD worth. Pain in the butt, as I really want to be playing with it. But I am pretty sure this is going to be a good purchase.

I am trying to be smart with the setup; creating the restore discs. 5 DVD worth. Pain in the butt, as I really want to be playing with it. But I am pretty sure this is going to be a good purchase.

Look in to Acronis True Image. I REALLY like it. I bought a new netbook (no CD or DVD built in) this week. First thing I did was boot with my Acronis USB key. Fifteen minutes later I had a full image backup (up to my NAS) of the original software. I then installed Windows 7 and all my apps. Before I joined it to my domain, I once again, booted from my Acronis USB key and took a full image backup again. Once you do that, you can even have Acronis keep incrementals if you want.

Once you have your images, restoring is as easy as booting from the USB key and clicking a couple of buttons.

I have 3 or 4 Acronis images of every computer in my house.

Look in to Acronis True Image. I REALLY like it. I bought a new netbook (no CD or DVD built in) this week. First thing I did was boot with my Acronis USB key. Fifteen minutes later I had a full image backup (up to my NAS) of the original software. I then installed Windows 7 and all my apps. Before I joined it to my domain, I once again, booted from my Acronis USB key and took a full image backup again. Once you do that, you can even have Acronis keep incrementals if you want.

Once you have your images, restoring is as easy as booting from the USB key and clicking a couple of buttons.

I have 3 or 4 Acronis images of every computer in my house.

Thank you, I will look into that today!

Yeah, I come from OpenVMS and love the Standalone Backup feature of VMS (boot a smaller version of the OS and make an image backup of the system disk without worrying about open files). Acronis is the easiest PC product that I've found that does the same thing. Boot from CD or USB, doesn't matter. Backup to NAS, server, external USB drive, tape device, or create a TIB file on another hard drive on your PC. It will also clone a disk, too, allowing you to change the partition size. And the Workstation price is right, about $30-35.

I saw your complaint about the lack of a VGA out. Does your Toshiba have any external video at all? If not, you can find a USB-->VGA dongle. The last HP notebook I had was equipped with a DVI-out, but I never could find the special cable that fit the connector that HP used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts