Win7 RC to Full version.

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Do I need to format and install the full version of Win7 so my computer doesn't start shutting down sometime next year? I am currently running the Win7 Release Candidate. Or can I just buy the upgrade or full version and change the product key. I am very happy with my computer at the moment and don't want to reformat the whole thing and start over! Just confirming pretty much what I already know, that I will have to reinstall and start fresh.

Makes you wonder why they put that restriction in, in the first place. Just GP or maybe there is a genuine reason not to go that route.

I am surprised the upgrade versions let you do a full install (and it does not ask you to verify that you had an earlier version of Windows)

You also need to note that in order to do an upgrade update of RC to RTM Windows 7, the RTM version of Windows 7 needs to be Ultimate as all RC versions of Windows 7 are the Ultimate version.

How To Upgrade Windows 7 RC To RTM

Simple file edit makes the upgrade possible

Yes, you can fix the install files to do it, but it is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. "Upgrading" from RC to RTM does not clean out all the 'beta' files because some are replaced by other named ones and you can end up with more problems than you may want. There are horror stories from those that chose the "upgrade" route and then had lots of problems.

Ok, well I have decided on going ahead and redoing everything from scratch. Here is a question. My laptop that is running Windows 7 RC used to run Windows Vista Home Premium. If I buy the Windows 7 upgrade, can I reformat and install a clean version of Windows 7 from it or do I have to reinstall Vista first? If I have to reinstall vista first, I think I might just buy the full version as it has always seemed in the past that the upgrades never run as well as a clean installed full version.

Ok, then, how come they sell a upgrade version and a full version? Just curious. Don't want to buy the upgrade and get screwed when I can't install it. on a formatted drive.

Also, final question, I have three PC's, I would like to upgrade them all to 7. They all have LEGAL copies of Windows 7. But, like I stated that I am going to format the laptop and probably the others first. From what I understand, all i need is the Windows 7 family pack for $150 correct?

One of the computers the only disk I have for it is the Vista upgrade DVD. the others the HP OEM disk. With this information, I should be able to format and do fresh install on all machines, right?

Ok, then, how come they sell a upgrade version and a full version? Just curious. Don't want to buy the upgrade and get screwed when I can't install it. on a formatted drive.

Upgrade is intended for a machine with XP or Vista already installed on it. Full version is for a new PC, such as a custom built. From what I read, the OS files are the same on each version. Kinda would havta be, don't you think? Not much would be reused in the new OS, left over from Vista or even XP.

The upgrade costs less since you are supposed to already have a windows license to use it. You are not supposed to use upgrade on a new machine - either full version or OEM. OEM is tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved, full version you can move (you will have to call MS up during the activation).

thats what I am asking, I have vista on all my machines, except for my Laptop, which has 7 RC. I want to upgrade them all to a legal copy of 7. I guess I just need to know if I buy the upgrade version will I be able to start fresh with a formatted drive. Then, in the future, will I be able to format and reinstall with the upgrade disk?

thats what I am asking, I have vista on all my machines, except for my Laptop, which has 7 RC. I want to upgrade them all to a legal copy of 7. I guess I just need to know if I buy the upgrade version will I be able to start fresh with a formatted drive. Then, in the future, will I be able to format and reinstall with the upgrade disk?

Yes you will be able to do what you are looking to do with the upgrade version.

anybody know if you can download a copy of windows 7 professional 32 bit anywhere? I have been looking as I have a key just no installer yet..any help would be apperciated ( and yes the key and dvd were bought by me, I am just trying to maybe get the windows 7 up and running early!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)