Las Vegas OTA SUBCHANNEL GUIDE INACCURATE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Could be a contractual thing. Dish was paying "x" dollars for the NBC affiliate, not for Antenna TV.

Where did NBC go?

Sinclair swapped networks around on the channels when they took ownership of the station. Sinclair will have to dispose of one of three they own in Las Vegas so probably arranging what they want to keep on the stations they want to keep. Hence all the changes

Where did NBC go?
NBC is still on 3. OSU posted what happened
Basically My Network use to be on PSIP 21, they moved it to a subchannel of CW which is on PSIP 33 IIRC.

For OTA folks the NBC thing was more of getting NBC of RF2 which is TERRIBLE picking up. They moved it to RF22 (which is where My Network was)

Yes NBC is way better on RF22, I'm like 15 miles from the transmission towers and had issues with a REAL outdoor antenna, had to attenuate the signal, but not too much or else loose the 47.XX channels.
Still no updates, CES and the lackluster press releases came and gone, still no Vegas fix.

Yes NBC is way better on RF22, I'm like 15 miles from the transmission towers and had issues with a REAL outdoor antenna, had to attenuate the signal, but not too much or else loose the 47.XX channels.
Still no updates, CES and the lackluster press releases came and gone, still no Vegas fix.

My dad is at our Condo out there now and just rescanned all the tv's and Pal DVR today. We finally are getting the Big4 all steady with an indoor antenna now. Moving NBC to RF 22 was a huge help. The Big 4 is really all they will care about when they are out there.

Reactions: Mr Tony
We finally are getting the Big4 all steady with an indoor antenna now. Moving NBC to RF 22 was a huge help. The Big 4 is really all they will care about when they are out there.

note the bolded. I see that happening more where stations try and move the Big4 to UHF stations if possible. I know in Minneapolis since the DTV conversion the Fox station (RF9) has a SD counterpart on its co-owned My (RF29). A few months ago Fox (the owner) did some switching around so Fox is now carried in HD on BOTH RF29 (for indoor antenna folks) and RF9 (for the folks out of the metro with outdoor antennas)
Smartest thing they did too....use different PSIP so 9-1 is coming from RF29 and 9-9 is from RF9

Reactions: foghorn2
Considering Dish sells the OTA dongle, Dish ought to class it up a bit and truly SUPPORT the OTA feature. If tiny TiVo can afford to provide both cable channels and ALL OTA including sub-channels with current and correct data that they get from Tribune, than Dish can MORE than afford it, getting the very same OTA guide data from Tribune. There is probably some additional cost for complete OTA data from Tribune, and Charlie does not want to pay it. However, the OTA is a significant enhancement to some and Dish does sell the hardware to support it, and considering how a lot of the OTA content is stuff that USED to be on TV Land, etc. but can't be found on cable/sat, it provides additional programming for the sat subscribing audience that they demand.

After the cost issue, there is one other issue that has occurred to me: In Los Angeles (I don't know if this is the case in mid-sized and small cities), many of the OTA sub-channels air many of the same foreign language channels that are on Dish International via satellite. That may create a situation where some International subs might just cancel such services (possibly Dish World via OTT) and watch via OTA sub-channel. But most people don't have the OTA dongle nor do they use the OTA demod built-in some HD Dish boxes, so the numbers of potential losses can't be very large. I say, "FINE." Internationals part of the business is expensive and may not have a future with OTA sub-channels and on-line providing other, perhaps less expensive to the consumer, ways of watching International channels, and the can free up 118.7 for MORE CORE HD or 4K Dish programming that would be economical for Dish to provide a single reflector solution (for the WA which will NOT have the benefit of all MPEG4 for a really long time) with the appropriate change-out of equipment without the cost of launching a new satellite.

I would think that if you wanted to keep people from cutting the cord , you would want to support the ota and sub channels and give full guide support for all. As I have stated before, if not , at least allow PSIP data to be read by the receiver, if you don't want to support the sub channels. Even TIME WARNER CABLE has the digital ota channels over the analog cable with PSIP data coming through. It is in sd but you can get guide data for the ota digital channels. IF I was to cut the cord or shave it, I could go with the Welcome pack and still keep the hopper and pay $12.00 for the dvr fee and get all my locals and ota channels in hd. But if I can't get the full guide data then I could just cancel DISH and go with the $50.00 TIVO for recording 4 ota channels at a time, and pay $14.99 a month ,but I would get FULL guide data for all ota and sub channels. Then I would save the $19.99 a month just to get my locals in hd. But I guess DISH has decided to support the sat channels and not the ota. I would of never got the hopper in the first place, if I couldn't get the ota usb dongle to provide my ota and sub channels, that DISH doesn't have on the satellites. It's like there has been a shift at DISH in the last year or two , that they no longer want to support the ota guide data for any channel that they don't carry up on the satellite . It's a really sad and not a customer oriented policy shift.

Agree 100%. Dish appears to be arrogant in this matter.

Be arrogant towars the providers and play hardball with them in the name of saving customers money.
Most of us support you.

But when you play hardball and appear be arrogant to your customers for something that can be easily fixed, you can loose credibility on being on the side of the customer.

I want to add that my elderly mother LOVES the OTA feature on her Hopper and LOVES that Dish provides that option because it really enhance her Dish experience because she records CozyTV (4.2) and a few other OTA sub-channels. She would LOVE to record some content on GetTV (old movies) and Escape TV and Grit TV (at 46.2, .3, and .4), but Dish does not provide EPG data for those and other channels. Mom records mostly on the sat channels, but she LOVES that she has even more channels using the OTA that is integrated into the SAT EPG guide. So, Dish, please reconsider supporting OTA with guide data for all channels. It is one of those features that would make DISH better than the competition and keep mom on Dish and talkin' it up, too.

I would think that if you wanted to keep people from cutting the cord , you would want to support the ota and sub channels and give full guide support for all. As I have stated before, if not , at least allow PSIP data to be read by the receiver, if you don't want to support the sub channels. Even TIME WARNER CABLE has the digital ota channels over the analog cable with PSIP data coming through. It is in sd but you can get guide data for the ota digital channels. IF I was to cut the cord or shave it, I could go with the Welcome pack and still keep the hopper and pay $12.00 for the dvr fee and get all my locals and ota channels in hd. But if I can't get the full guide data then I could just cancel DISH and go with the $50.00 TIVO for recording 4 ota channels at a time, and pay $14.99 a month ,but I would get FULL guide data for all ota and sub channels. Then I would save the $19.99 a month just to get my locals in hd. But I guess DISH has decided to support the sat channels and not the ota. I would of never got the hopper in the first place, if I couldn't get the ota usb dongle to provide my ota and sub channels, that DISH doesn't have on the satellites. It's like there has been a shift at DISH in the last year or two , that they no longer want to support the ota guide data for any channel that they don't carry up on the satellite . It's a really sad and not a customer oriented policy shift.
Just FYI, as far as TiVo for a full OTA solution, I think that while the TiVo OTA offers the lowest entry price, the pricing structure for the OTA is bad because TiVo does not, and likely never will, offer the Lifetime option for the OTA. So, one is paying 19.99 for the first year and and then the standard 14.99 FOREVER and EVER. Also, with the TiVo OTA, you have the burden to notify TiVo after one year at $19.99 per month that you want the lower standard $14.99 per month for which you now qualify or TiVo will continue to bill you at $19.99 per month until you call in and request the change in subscription price.

I would suggest getting the Roamio (also referred as the "base model." It is the only TiVo other than the OTA model that can receive OTA channels) because it can be had at a discount at some retailers (like Amazon) of $50 or more. But let's say one pays $100-$150 for the Roamio box. Then we pay for the service. One is better off paying Lifetime (if they can) because that works out as the cheapest rate or greatest value in the long run (after 3 years, I think). BUT!!!! One can, at any time, take that Lifetimed TiVo Roamio (say even after some months or years down the road) and put it up on ebay and just undercut the full retail price of the box + Lifetime by, say $50, and you can get the difference back on the sale. In other words, you would get all but $50 of your initial cost for the TiVo box + Lifetime. So this route represents minimal loss if you decide you no longer want the TiVo box, but it is ONLY the LIFETIME boxes that fetch the top dollar and near full return of all your initial costs. One will NEVER get back any of the month to month subscription price back in their pockets if they choose to sell it. That $19.99 and $14.99 per month will be forever gone with no way to recoup it.

Unless someone just can't even think about affording the Lifetime and they really want a TiVo for its 4 OTA tuners and over all superiority over the Channel Master DVR+, then the TiVo OTA is a good option for those who only have the $19.99 per month to spare. Otherwise, go with the Roamio that has the better value in pricing. Of course, the best value that get you both satellite and OTA is Dish satellite with all OTA channels--with full EPG data for sub-channels, but that aint possible--yet.(?)

Here's hoping Dish changes their mind about OTA support.

IMG_20150119_080532_670.jpg

Car2 (cartoon) is ADULTS ONLY! Antenna TV is now NBC and the Today show now plays old B/W shows like McHale's Navy. COZI is now a spanish channel that duplicates Estrella according to Dish's guide but the programming is otherwise and now Dish through its satellite has enough bandwidth to beam 22-0 KVMY2 which is Estrella TV.

Thanks Dish for looking out for us!

Just FYI, as far as TiVo for a full OTA solution, I think that while the TiVo OTA offers the lowest entry price, the pricing structure for the OTA is bad because TiVo does not, and likely never will, offer the Lifetime option for the OTA. So, one is paying 19.99 for the first year and and then the standard 14.99 FOREVER and EVER. Also, with the TiVo OTA, you have the burden to notify TiVo after one year at $19.99 per month that you want the lower standard $14.99 per month for which you now qualify or TiVo will continue to bill you at $19.99 per month until you call in and request the change in subscription price..
Tivo monthly rate on the OTA is 14.99, not 19.99

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Car2 (cartoon) is ADULTS ONLY! Antenna TV is now NBC and the Today show now plays old B/W shows like McHale's Navy. COZI is now a spanish channel that duplicates Estrella according to Dish's guide but the programming is otherwise and now Dish through its satellite has enough bandwidth to beam 22-0 KVMY2 which is Estrella TV.

Thanks Dish for looking out for us!
reminds me of the Directv AM21 where you have to put in 19 zip codes to get the missing channels in the guide to view.....and then have programming listed on other channels just for the guide.

The intrusion of spanish channels into the guides of english channels reminds of when I'm trying to pick up distant AM stations from the SF Bay Area and a ridiculous loud spanish voice or song fades in and out loudly and disrupts my enjoyment :beaten

Tivo monthly rate on the OTA is 14.99, not 19.99
I May have confused the TiVo OTA pricing with the "free" TiVo offer that starts at $.19.99 Thank you for the correction. Once again you are correct. zOTA pricing is $14.99 per month. Thanks.

I'm starting to think they are leaving the non dish subs guide broken because of the last lawsuit with Aereo precedent. Now that that's over with maybe there is a chance Dish may fix all these issues. Crossing fingers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Fired up my HTPC and started WMC (win 7) that I haven't loaded for about 3 YEARS, Guide updated with no scan done-- PERFECT GUIDE!!

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU DISH!!?? :wtf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)