LASIK to be able to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experiance with the "Bladeless" operation ? Is it as good? and as far as the option with the blade, are you awake during it? I dont think I could sit through watching someone cut my eye :) I get skittish just having that "air" blow into my eye during the exam.. :)

I had the bladeless operation. They gave me the choice and from what I have read online both of the procedures are very safe, and actually the blade is a little more comfortable (just because its quicker, the laser took about 30 seconds).

Won't lie to you. For me the procedure was uncomfortable and about half way through I wondered what I got myself into. But it never got into the "hurt" stage. The most uncomfortable part for me was the bladeless cutting of my cornea, but not because of the cut, because of the vacuum they put on your eyeball...Scared yet? Don't be. They give you several eye drops and your eye is completely numb and you dont' feel anything and the sensation to even blink is pretty much gone. Or it was for me anyway. Email me if you have any more questions about it, as I could give you a much more detailed account of what goes on!

I had it a year ago this month, best decision I every made.

The vaccum part is very scary, you do feel more pressure on the eye, like nothing I've ever felt before, but still not to the point of significant pain.

Just had my 1 yr exam and 20/20 in both eyes. I wanted it for convience, no more contacts, can watch tv in bed, etc.

Very happy with the results, I paid $3000 but was highly selective of the doctor. I paid a little higher price, but I wanted to be VERY confident in his experience.

I had the bladeless operation. They gave me the choice and from what I have read online both of the procedures are very safe, and actually the blade is a little more comfortable (just because its quicker, the laser took about 30 seconds).

Won't lie to you. For me the procedure was uncomfortable and about half way through I wondered what I got myself into. But it never got into the "hurt" stage. The most uncomfortable part for me was the bladeless cutting of my cornea, but not because of the cut, because of the vacuum they put on your eyeball...Scared yet? Don't be. They give you several eye drops and your eye is completely numb and you dont' feel anything and the sensation to even blink is pretty much gone. Or it was for me anyway. Email me if you have any more questions about it, as I could give you a much more detailed account of what goes on!

thanks for that , Looks like when I get this done , I will light up a blunt right before , so that along with my eyes , my body & mind get "completely numb"
:):):)

I had 20/400 vision. The procedure costs me about $2,200. They took me to a room and gave me Valium (I think it was that) and then I had to wait for about an hour for it to kick in. Then they took me into the surgery room, took my glasses and had me read the clock on the wall. Of course I was like "what clock?" Then I had to lay down in the chair and they put drops in my eye. The drops stung a little but then it quickly went away. Then they placed something on my eye and this blade cuts the top layer. It was automatic, not done by a doctor. This was the part I was most bothered with, needless to say I was gripping the armrests tight. Then he lifted back the flap and went to work with the laser. All you see is this flickering laser light. Then they did it to the other eye. After that, they washed my eyes, put these plastic discs over them and had me look at the clock. Although hazy, I could read the time. The wife took me home and I went to sleep. She went out and got the eye meds which was a wetting solution and a cloudy cleaning solution. That night I could see things quite clearly but still had some halos around lights. Had to sleep with these eye discs on for a week. Went back and they tested my vision, it was 20/15.

My whole reason for finally doing the procedure was because we were going to Australia in a couple of months and I wanted to swim the reef and see it all.

Just make sure to donate your glasses to Lion's Club afterward as they use them for kids who can't afford eyeglasses. The LASIK center will probably even have a donation box for them. Mine did.

Had mine done last August, custom LASIK using a traditional microkeratome. As others have said, the pressure of the vacuum rings feels funny, and the spring clips to hold your eyelids open aren't the most comfortable things in the world. While the surgery was the best thing I could have done, my biggest mistake was NOT taking the Valium. If you have the procedure, take the drugs. The microkeratome (blade instument) sounded like a power saw, which I wasn't expecting by any means. The excimer laser process will also create some smells you probably don't want to smell (think "burning flesh"), since that's basically what's happening. I had both eyes done at the same time, and the second eye was easier since I knew exactly what was going happen - no death grip on the table.

I had the LASIK procedure done in Sept. 2000. As others have said, it was the best money I have ever spent. I had been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 8. Right after the procedure, I told my wife that I could see the difference already. The next morning, I could read the clock radio without glasses for the first time in 34 years. I tested out at 20/20 in the right eye and 20/15 in the left. No problems except for some dry eye and a slight halo effect at night. My suggestion is to check several LASIK centers and find a doc that has many LASIK procedures under his belt. An experienced doc should have 100's if not 1000's of successful procedures. Choose experience over price.

I have read claims that lasik may only last 15-20 years. Any comments on this?

Any doctors say one way or the other?

The procedure itsself will last forever. Your Cornea will not start growing back the removed tissue after 15-20 years. However, the doctors make it clear that after age 40 you may need reading glasses as your eyes slightly change shape and stop focusing as well as they used too. Just a fact of life. That cannot be prevented, yet.

The reason I never had LASIK done is because I have an astigmatism. The docs said if I had the procedure, I would never be able to read again without glasses. I couldn't fathom the thought of always having to have glasses around to read; especially the Sunday paper in bed.

The reason I never had LASIK done is because I have an astigmatism. The docs said if I had the procedure, I would never be able to read again without glasses. I couldn't fathom the thought of always having to have glasses around to read; especially the Sunday paper in bed.

That's not true. He's not telling the complete truth. My eyes were -4.25, with around -2.25 astigmatism's in each one. Yes, they are quite oval, like asian eyes. That seems to make you more prone to astigmatisms'. Anyway, If you read earlier in this thread you will see my story. I had problems with Lasik, but still love it. I ended up with unintended Mono-vision, and the wrong eye ended up being the "close eye" Monovision and at age 49, I can do anything without glasses, including reading fine.

I do notice that focusing from distance to very close can take longer than it did before, but it works. In other words, if I'm reading something for a bit of time that's close to me, then suddenly look away into the distance, I can see it, but it takes longer to come to a sharper focus than it used to as I age. It still beats wearing heavy glasses all the time.

IF you decide to check out mono-vision, I suggest you have your doctor simulate it using contacts, with one eye being slightly UNDER corrected, (say around -1.00 ) and see if you can get used to it. If you do, then have Lasik. Not everybody can tolerate mono-vision, but if you can, it's wonderful. Give it a fair test though, which means a couple months at least.

Custom Wavefront will take your astigmatism away in most cases. If you haven't had a consultation in a few years, find a good doctor with new equipment and have one done. You will be surprised what they can do now.

Quite honestly, I've heard enough negative stories to be happy wearing glasses. I'm glad that many of you have had good success; but the alternative is not a road upon which I'd care to travel.

Heya everyone, I did a research about LASIK thing since im planning to compact to the procedure next month ( im a little nervous about it) that is why i decided to rummage around facts as I can in regards to its advantages and disadvantages outcome. And I found out that the disadvantages of it like the healing of the eye thing involves a careful regimen by the patient and close monitoring by your surgeon for several months following the procedure. Also, depending on the size of the patient's pupil, "night glare" may occur in low light, especially in the days immediately following your procedure. Furthermore, each patient has individual healing characteristics so it means that not all people done this had or have the same effects after or same healing experience after but in the long run I also found the advantages of it, the entire procedure is painless and very fast - less than ten minutes, during which use of the laser beam lasts about 15 - 40 seconds, 98% of typical patients achieve 20/40 or better vision, which enables the patient to drive and participate in sports without the need for glasses or contact lenses, corneal strength is preserved and vision remains stable years after LASIK, it corrects myopia with or without astigmatism, and hyperopia with or without Astigmatism . So I do believe that this will serve as I guide to everyone who plan to have it. BTW wish me luck for my surgery next month im 102 % sure that I will go for it. I want to see and do things without those glasses and contacts. Wish me luck. Ohh BTW here’s a link my2020 in case you want to have a wide understanding about LASIK.

I actually had a Lasik surgery a couple of months ago in the US and the result to me was amazing with their financing deals for my lasik surgery . I save up to $1,350 with the 20/20 Freedom Special. don’t need to wear glasses anymore, I had an eye surgery in my2020 by Dr. Stephen B. Wiles one of the leading eye surgeons today. The healing process was fast because they used an advanced technology and state of the art facilities. I feel good and look good now without those thick glasses that I wear before. My2020 is my life saver.

I'm glad it worked out for you so well. However, reading "I save up to $1,350" just brings to mind worry about how much it costs!

I'm glad it worked out for you so well. However, reading "I save up to $1,350" just brings to mind worry about how much it costs!

A lot of it depends on your eyes. I was offered $2000 for both eyes, but I wasn't reall confident in the eye doctor. I got a 2nd opinion from a Dr. Samuelson who actually teaches it at the University of Minnesot. It cost me $2500. to have him do it for me(one eye was 1500 beause of a major stigmatism). But I felt a lot more confident in having him do it, so it was worth it to me.
I figured why have one of his students perform surgery on my eyes, when I could have the teacher:)

Best $2500 I ever spent. Had the procedure at 2;00 pm, got a valium, wife drove me home, woke up at 6:00 and it felt like I had sand in my eyes for about an hour or so, so they were watery. Then perfect vision. Drove myself to the eye doctor in the morning and my vision was 20/15 in both eyes.

One of the best benefits is how much better I can see when I'm hunting. although the pheasant, ducks, and deer don't like it:eek::eek:

Both of my parents have stories similar to those on this thread. (The best money they ever spent). I'm only 25 (will be 26 Sunday) and I went and they actually told me I'd be better off waiting until I was a little older. Oh, and they found damaged nerves around my nose and we wound up doing a surgery of another type. (I had a line-drive come back and hit me when I was pitching in little league). Now that was the best money I have ever spent (for surgery at least). :up Gone are the days of tightness and numbness in my face, upper shoulders, and neck. I went to the emergency room with the same symptoms the night I got hit... The same emergency room sent my Dad home after a heart-attack and he wound up seeing another physician the next day. :eek::eek::eek:

I recommend Lasik, though. I'm planning on going back shortly.

Cade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts