LASIK to be able to do

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

karaokeking

Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I'm a 37 years young gentleman, short-sighted about -8 each eye and that means I can't do see or anything without my glasses. I carry this condition for almost half of my life, so now I decided to put my condition and glasses in the box for life and since I dont like contacts so I'm considering LASIK. I already decided having it in a perfect surgeon and clinic for me in my2020.

For people who had it, any compunction? How long did it take after LASIK to be able to do you normal daily activities? Thanks in advance and wish me luck then.

Hi,
I had LASIK surgery 3 years ago on both eyes. No regrets at all. I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon. My wife drove me home and I went to my room which I made as dark as possible. When I woke up in the morning it was awesome to be able to see extremely well. I even ended up driving myself back to the doctor that morning to have the day after follow-up. I was back at work on Monday and felt great. The only issue I had was I had to put drops in my eyes for about a month afterwards to keep them from drying up.

You won't regret it! Enjoy

Hi,
I had LASIK surgery 3 years ago on both eyes. No regrets at all. I had my surgery on a Friday afternoon. My wife drove me home and I went to my room which I made as dark as possible. When I woke up in the morning it was awesome to be able to see extremely well. I even ended up driving myself back to the doctor that morning to have the day after follow-up. I was back at work on Monday and felt great. The only issue I had was I had to put drops in my eyes for about a month afterwards to keep them from drying up.

You won't regret it! Enjoy

My story almost to the "T"! :up

I went in with 20/80 in both eyes. Left with 20/20.
1 month later 20/15 in both.
Had mine 7 years ago next month. No regrets. Best $1500 I ever spent. :up:up

My wife and I had it 8 years ago and were back on our feet that night after our 4 hour nap. Went form 20/200 to 20/15 in my left and 20/20 in my right. Best damn money I have ever spent.

I had Lasik early, when it was new. Year 2000, I was 41. Eyes were like -425, and -225 something astigmatism in each eye. I was left eye dominant, and my left eye developed all sorts of problems because it didn't like the surgery even though the surgeon did nothing wrong. It took 20 MONTHS to heal! I finally ended up with what's called "mono-vision". My left eye is undercorrected, and my right eye is fully corrected. So, my brain uses my left eye for reading, or close things, and my right eye for distance vision. Trouble is, normally when you intend to do mono-vision, you undercorrect the NON dominant eye! Anyway, it finally healed, and the mono vision turned out to be a good thing at my age. I love having them corrected, and I'd still do it again! My eyes switched dominance twice before changing permanently to my right eye. That does wonderful things to your sense of balance.... I'm sure they have a lot better method of doing Lasik now, than they did then. But make no mistake, it is surgery, everybody handles it differently, and it is possible to have a bad result, so do your homework.

what is the norm for price on this , I see it as low as $1,000 for both eyes , my eye doctor wants an EYE Popping $4,800 for both eyes , which I think is way to much , just that there My eyes so not looking for wal-mart special , but reasonable Price ! any places to stay away from?

what is the norm for price on this , I see it as low as $1,000 for both eyes , my eye doctor wants an EYE Popping $4,800 for both eyes , which I think is way to much , just that there My eyes so not looking for wal-mart special , but reasonable Price ! any places to stay away from?

I went to Canada, and had it done for $1,000 American for both eyes, all inclusive. That was in 2000, when the exchange rate was $1.48 canadian. Since I had complications (see my post above) I ended up spending 18 months going back and forth from mid-michigan to Windsor to have the doctor watch my progress. That's 125 miles each way, every 2 weeks. No american doctors would touch me after a "foreign" doctor did surgery on me. They are scared *hitless for being on the sue hitlist if you decide to go after the docs with your lawyer.

Being from Michigan, we don't consider Canadians "foreign" ;). Now at the time, Lasik in the US was $5,000 each eye, (which I think is pure greed) but I could have had it done 20 miles from my house, and that would have been better if I had ended up with the same complications. Personally, I would never have been able to spend that kind of money, but I always wonder 'what if?' Would I have been better off? Who knows.

Ok, now after all that, basically it boils down to this: don't go to Canada to have it done if you are in the US, because if you do, prepare to have a lot of trips IF you should suffer from a problem, since a US doc won't touch you afterwards (unless you have a severe emergency, then they'll handle it). So, pick someplace that's convenient to you in case of any problem, don't go on the basis of strictly a cheap price. Check out the doctor well, and make sure you aren't his first! Let him practice on everybody else, and remember: they can't do full eye transplants yet, and you only have 2 in this world.

I was thinking of getting LASIK, but never felt confident about it, they screw up, you are screwed for life.
What is the unsuccessful rate of LASIK surgery?

Just recieved Lasik at the beginning of December. I did the Custom Wavefront procedure and paid a little extra for a lifetime committment though TLC, basically, if I need any corrections, they do it no cost. When I went to a consultation about a year ago at a different Lasik center, they stated any corrections would cost $1000 for the second procedure. So I put up the few extra hundred bucks and paid for the lifetime committment.

My eyesight was almost as bad as yours. If I were you I would expect a "haze" and "starbeam" patterns around all lights for the first week or so, and bright, intense lights (headlights) for at least a month afterwards. Driving at night will be interesting for a few weeks at least.

Saying that, the procedure is life changing! At my last exam at the beginning of January I was 20/20 in both eyes and I believe the haze i had around lights at that time blurred out the letters on the 20/15 line. I believe when I go in March I will probably test out 20/15.

I paid exactly $3790 for both eyes. Thats pretty much the top package that TLC offers with the lifetime committment and bladeless. You can get traditional lasik for much lower than that, I believe less than 100 per eye. With your prescription being as bad as it is, you may only be a canidate for the traditional. If I were you I would check out two or three lasik centers in your area and go from there. Almost all have Free Consultation.

Yea I think it maybe like $4,500 now , Does that seem like the going rate ? This Includes All follow ups & all that stuff , really the only thing that makes me hesitate on the price is the Damn flyers for Lasik with ads like $499 per eye , ( which is way to cheap ) or buy one Lasik eye get the other one free :rolleyes::eek: I guess what I'm asking is there different methods used , or do they all pretty much use the standard lasik procedures & do they use the same machines?

This is not an operation you want to purchase from the lowest bidder. At the very least make sure to check with the state medical board before going with a discount doctor.

I was thinking of getting LASIK, but never felt confident about it, they screw up, you are screwed for life.
What is the unsuccessful rate of LASIK surgery?

BTW my vision is not that bad :p.
Just don't like to wear glasses, can't see things far...

I had it done 6 years ago and have to agree with some others that it was the best money I ever spent.

Same story as many others. I got it done in the afternoon, wife drove me home. Slept it off and woke up being able to see.

I still use rewetting drops periodically but I attribute that to eye strain from computer work and not really the dry eye issue that some experience.

I went for my annual eye exam recently and am still right were I was after the surgery.

I had PRK in one eye and Lasik in the other. 20/10 in one eye, and 20/15 in the other. No complications. My PRK was done in 1993 and Lasik (experimental before the FDA approved it) in 1994. So going on 17 years for the procedures and my eyesight is still perfect.

Does anyone have any experiance with the "Bladeless" operation ? Is it as good? and as far as the option with the blade, are you awake during it? I dont think I could sit through watching someone cut my eye :) I get skittish just having that "air" blow into my eye during the exam.. :)

I had it done back in 1999, the wife had it done just last September, both of us very happy with it. When I had it done the blade was the only option but you don't see anything happening when they do it. The wife has the newer bladeless/laser option done for her procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts