Last Week with Dish!

mboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Well, My stint (4 yrears or so), with Dish is over.
Cablevision is coming this Fri to install and HD-PVR and 2 digital boxes.
1st year I save about $50/60-month including Cable modem. After that, net is around the same, BUT I will have an HD DVR, anf roughly 16 HD channels.

I am going from the Dish AEP + HD pack to the Cablebision Gold package.

From some of my other posts, it is obviousl why I am changing (same reason many others are/have).

Just wanted to thank everyone and say goodbye at this forum.

I will check in periodically to see what is going on.
Good luck to you al. Hope Charlie can get his act and company together.
They really are offering an inferior prudcut now when once, they were right up their as a leader.

I agree - I just did the same thing. While the SA8300HD isnt everything I would hope for it is certainly satisfactory. I just got fed up for waiting for Dish to do something - and if the sat services end up being better in a year or two I'll switch back - but for now its definately the best move for anybody with a decent cable company

mboy said:
Well, My stint (4 yrears or so), with Dish is over.
Cablevision is coming this Fri to install and HD-PVR and 2 digital boxes.
1st year I save about $50/60-month including Cable modem. After that, net is around the same, BUT I will have an HD DVR, anf roughly 16 HD channels.

I am going from the Dish AEP + HD pack to the Cablebision Gold package.

From some of my other posts, it is obviousl why I am changing (same reason many others are/have).

Just wanted to thank everyone and say goodbye at this forum.

I will check in periodically to see what is going on.
Good luck to you al. Hope Charlie can get his act and company together.
They really are offering an inferior prudcut now when once, they were right up their as a leader.

Congratulations! WIshed I had options like you do, but I'm too far in the woods for cable to come here. So I'm stuck with either dish or direct. Cause neither have any good offers with HD DVR (what's the point of having an HD DVR anyway to record only a couple of HD Channels???). So, for HD content I went with ExpressVu (Canadian system). Unfortunately, they don't have an HD DVR yet.

I cant wait to see what you dow when the promo priceing ends and the price goes thru the roof..Good Luck any way

Normal pricing is the same as I am paying now with Dish + broadband.
When cable TV goes to normal pricing, then it will be exactly the same as I pay now for them both.
1st year promo saves me $60/mopnth.

What make su think Dish is so much cheaper?-Cablevision IO gold-$90/month
3 digital receiver lease fees-$15 combines
HD DVR fee$10
=$115/month

Guess what I pay Charlie now Juan? Yep $115 AND when cable comes out with better equip or changes technology, I won't be "blackmailed" into having to pay for new gear.
Oh yeah,if my gear breaks, I walk it in and swap it out at local center.

less HD, $$$$ DVR for HD and about same price.

Since I already know what my price will be when the promo ends (roughly), I know what I am going to do Juan. If Charlie doesn't offer a better service, I will stay with Cable.

Enjoy your "just as expensive" yet inferior service Juan!

don't feel like you can't visit often. i got rid of dish and enjoy coming on to keep up with what's going on with all the services and to try to help other out.

i got one of those sweet cable deals as well. i am loving my working hd dvr.

I've considered it but honestly I don't think the price is too bad for what we get. We get more channels than what Cox communications offers here and I think we get more HDTV channels as well. I don't think COX even offers HDTV here yet. We had Cox digital at the old house and the picture sucked, we got about 200 channels or so, I think it went up to 900 but everything past 200 was either ppv channels or it would skip. It seems like with DISH we get so many channels, a lot I don't watch I just watch HDTV, TechTV and spike really but my mother seems to like browsing the channels and she loves the movie channels. Our bill seems a bit high though I think its around 110-115 a month.

Man, that is too bad.

I'd be willing to put hard money up, however, that says in 12 months Cox will offer at least 50% more HD in your area than Dish. Here it's not even close.

Unfortunately, I can't begin to forecast when things like PQ might be improved in your area. Here, PQ seems a bit better via Cable than via Dish. That's only here, unfortunately. YMMV elsewhere.

A new example is a local (and extremely high end) home theater/sound business that does huge revenue in very upscale new construction (most homes in excess of 5000 sq ft with dedicated HT room). They've got an awesome HT demo room, and they've just had cable installed because of the lack of good HD from Dish. All their customers wanted to see major networks in HD and both HDNet and InHD. Cable is the only provider that could do it.

PILMAN said:
I've considered it but honestly I don't think the price is too bad for what we get. We get more channels than what Cox communications offers here and I think we get more HDTV channels as well. I don't think COX even offers HDTV here yet. We had Cox digital at the old house and the picture sucked, we got about 200 channels or so, I think it went up to 900 but everything past 200 was either ppv channels or it would skip. It seems like with DISH we get so many channels, a lot I don't watch I just watch HDTV, TechTV and spike really but my mother seems to like browsing the channels and she loves the movie channels. Our bill seems a bit high though I think its around 110-115 a month.

truthfully i think that cable and dish companies are quite the same, if you like cable, more power to ya well actually the same power to ya

richmondr
jdpower #1 csr

I know that dish and the cable co's sound the same but it really depends on what service is in your area for cable. In some areas the cable guys have little if anything to offer - but in some of the biggest markets (NY for me) I can get over 16 HD channels which does include networks...and yeah I could also get them from a satellite box OTA inpute but having to check the combiner status on the empire state building for power boosting constantly was a pain. The service is basically the same but if I can get more channels with cable for about the same price (for me cable was cheaper but it varies on package and location) than it made sense for me to switch. In the end I am quite happy having a HD-DVR for recording my network channels (LOST, Survivor, apprentice, west wing, etc.) and the fact that it is couple with my internet and phone service is just a plus.

For those outside a major DMA satellite is by far the best choice, but for those within the range of a decent cable co there isnt any competition in my mind

dcarpa, cablevision your provider? If so, I imagine you are enjoying it a lot over Dish?

Yeah - I've got cablevision. The biggest benefit (besides the HD-DVR) is just that it works for my wife. She was so fed up with dealing with Dish software problems and having to reboot the darn 811 that I had to do something.

I've just positioned my self as a simple end user - i don't care who provides what I'll take what fits my needs best. Cablevision for me does that - if I wanted some hard to get international channels or lived in a remote area than I would probably go back to sat service but even than i think it would be D* instead of E*.

Agree 1000% dcarpa altho I am the one who is fed up with crappy 811 (mine as bad as others0, but REALLY unhappy with 522 software. Can not watch a playback of recorded (or timeshifted for that matter) program without audio constantly dropping out.
Tons of lockups when just switching channels too.

Sadly, here in Fairfax County, VA we have Cox Cable - at least among the very worst in the entire USA, and so Dish really has no real competition.

I wish Charlie would get with it.

da Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts