late afternoon signal drop

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
I've been noticing a signal drop in the later afternoons affecting all satellites. I suspect that it is new tree growth but was wondering why that might only affect me in the 5-8pm slot.

I went up and re-peaked the dish and can get low 40s to mid 50's now as shown on my 722.

Should I just bite the bullet and relocate my dish to the other side of the house (lots of coax to run though)?

What kind of dish? From your levels, I suspect a 1000.4 EA. If you have anything else, that's pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've been noticing a signal drop in the later afternoons affecting all satellites. I suspect that it is new tree growth but was wondering why that might only affect me in the 5-8pm slot.

I went up and re-peaked the dish and can get low 40s to mid 50's now as shown on my 722.

Should I just bite the bullet and relocate my dish to the other side of the house (lots of coax to run though)?
Washington state should be Western Arc not EA something in your install is affecting signal strength. I would suggest a professional reinstall. It would be nice if you posted all equipment instead of our trying to second guess what might be connected.

I had that problem about 4 years ago with a dish 500. It turned out that the afternoon sun was heating up the LNB, causing the signal strength to drop. Replacing the LNB fixed it.

Sorry about the incomplete post. I am on a dish 9 month old 1000.2 now. I get break up on all three satellites more and more often. I think that the pm effect was due to the fact that the wind picks up more in the afternoon. When I look across the yard toward the trees that the dish faces, i think that I have my answer. Wind in the upper reaches of the trees are causing signal blockage. I'm losing LOS.

bxl4,

I sounds like you may need to relocate your dish since you stated that when the winds pick up in the afternoon you lose your signal on all satellites. As foliage comes in during the spring and especially during the summer it can cause signal loss. The 1000.2 is our WA dish. I don't know how far away these trees are but would trimming some of the branches be an option?

For papalittle - I've used a satellite signal meter and rechecked the dish alignment twice so I think I've gotten all I'm going to get.

For Ray C, the tree in question is a big maple some 80' tall and in my neighbor's yard, so trimming would require a big boom crane or helicopter. But other than that....

Thanks to all for your thoughts and questions.

Bill

bxl4,

You said you lose signal more in the afternoons. What is the temperature at that time? MrDogDad could be right with his assessment of the sun heating up the LNB. If you would PM your account number, I can setup a technician visit for you.

bxl4,

You said you lose signal more in the afternoons. What is the temperature at that time? MrDogDad could be right with his assessment of the sun heating up the LNB. If you would PM your account number, I can setup a technician visit for you.
He's in Bainbridge Island, WA highs aren't that high there. 80's at the most. Sounds like repoint or move the dish time.

Thanks for the offer Ray but as whatchel1 said, my daytime "highs" are depressingly low - so far, i think we broke 70 degrees only once this year. :-(

When the Dish guys installed it some years ago, that tree in the neighbor's yard wasn't yet a problem. Now it would seem to be.

If it was an tree, then it seems the signal loss would be consistent thru the day. Even though it's not getting that hot there, and if the OP is correct in that it seems to happen after going thru the warmest part of the day, then it's still possible it could be the LNB.

And then again, it could be both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts