Later model Traxis receviers and AC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, most everything is above my price range.:)

What's a good amp for this? I asked at a couple of stores here and they didn't have a clue. They got that deer in the head light look.

Amazon.com has for $150 incl Free Shipping:

Onkyo TX-SR304S 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver

(I have used the TX-SR500 for several years, and will likely buy another Onkyo next time around. Amazon also has slightly higher models as well.)

5.1 Channel A/V Receiver

Since this thread has gone so far, I feel it necessary to post this info:

A lot (but not all) of the low cost 5.1 receivers come with speakers.
Life is so much easier if it all comes in one box.
Some also come with color-coded speaker wiring, too.
We're not talking about high-end equipment here, so don't be influenced by small speakers - they're so much better than two.

Four or five years ago, I got a little DVD player + 5.1 receiver combo at Radio Shack.
It had an optical connection on the rear.
I figured one day, I'd plug my sat receiver into it.
The DVDs I made sure did sound good in surround...;)
Then, I discovered the optical connection was an OUTput for the DVD player!
It had no input at all. :eek:

Well , for $120, what did I expect?

Thanks for the advice on amps, one last question and it's the big one. If I get the proper amp with the right inputs , will the audio from my Traxis 3500 work or do I need a better satellite receiver?

Called the guy at Rick's Satellite and he said the 3500 would be fine for AC3 audio. All I needed to do was to run a regular RCA cable from the S/PDIF port on the back of the 3500 to the port on the audio amp. Got a bunch of amps around here but none have the S/PDIF port. Going to look for one of those Onkyos.

Just because the Traxis 3500 will pass PCM (uncompressed) audio from the digital port does not necessarily mean it will pass AC-3 (compressed audio).

Look for an audio amp/receiver with a digital input that can decode Dolby Digital (more common name for AC-3).

If you do a blind scan with the 3500, it will not pick up the audio pid. It just remains at 0. You can input it manually, but even after entering it manually, I did not get AC3 from it on Ku.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What is DVB?

Help the Dummie....What's My True South Satellite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)