Later model Traxis receviers and AC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a traxis 4550 that I have had about 2 weeks. It is my second receiver and so far I just have used it for blind scanning. I cannot check it out now because it is at home now and I am not, however this evening I will be. Just tell me what you want to check out and I will do that for you. I know that with my main receiver I don't get any voice on pbs. I have not checked it out on the traxis 4550 but I will tonight.

What I found with the 3500 is that it will not pick up the apids when audio is AC3. Even if you go back later and put the apids in manually, it will still not pass the AC3 stream through the spdif jack. Contrary to another post I read, it didn't matter if I was on C or Ku band, it never got passed through the port.

This was several months ago so I didn't know if anything had been fixed in that time. Excellent receivers for the money, but worth considerably less to me if it still can't do the AC3. The kids really like the PBS.

AC 3 passthrough works fine on everything that I have tuned on the C band side of 121 West....from both the optical connection as well as the SPDIF "coaxial" output (which looks like an RCA jack). The Traxis DBS-3500 is one of the only receivers that allows you to feed a stereo processor with both methods.
Most C-band signals with AC-3 work fine. At the present time, I have yet to find a Ku-band signal to do the same. A fix is in the works, but you'll have to talk to Tim about any updates.

My manual for the Traxis 4550 says that it has coaxial and optical S/PDIF outputs for digital audio AC3. I looked up the manual for the model 3500 on the DMS International internet site and that manual didn't say AC3 for the # 3500. So It would appear that Traxis made a design change on the #4550.

I tried out the Traxis 4550 AC3 digital output on the PBS audio and could get no sound on either my computer or my Sony stereo receiver both of which are AC3 capable. I am using a ku satellite system.

Man, that's a real bummer.

Sunelec, I'm not trying to say you did anything incorrectly, but I'm going to ask if anyone else has the same findings.

Such a nice receiver, but missing that one crucial element that I need.

The only Traxis Receiver That I have used that passes AC3 is the Traxis DBS4500.
I have tried both the DBS3500 and DBS4550 and had no luck with AC-3

So Das Hammer there's your answer . Two members got the same result with the Traxis DBS 4550. The DBS 4500 I think is about the same receiver but only has auto scan whereas the 4550 has blind scan in addition to the auto scan.

I was hoping Traxis would come out with a new firmware that would allow passthru of
AC-3 ,but in speaking with a tech at DMSI , I was told nothing he knew of was in the works.:(
I would really like to see the DBS3500 pass AC-3 since it is a blind scan. Right
now its setting on the shelve waiting.
When I first got the DBS4500, it did not pass AC-3, then after I did a firmware
update it worked and continues to work fine today

Shoot. I was looking forward to the possibility of a 4550 because I liked the blind scan on the 3500 so well.

Will anyone ever make a receiver that can please me?:D

I liked the blind scan on the Traxis 4550 so well that I bought it just for the blind scan. I have a dual standard lnb which feeds the 4550 and my main receiver which does pass AC3 and controls my motor. Each receiver is fed into different inputs on the TV. I also have it so that I can move either one to a different setup in my house if I want to. The 4550 was only $ 80 at Ivystoneplace. The 3550 is $70.

So the Traxis 3500 doesn't pass the AC3 audio but the Traxis 4500 will? I've got a 3500 and was wondering how to get the PBS audio. I was going to get a backup receiver anyway, so if I get the 4500 and it passes the audio, do I need a special audio amp? My amp only has analog inputs.

Thanks

so if I get the 4500 and it passes the audio, do I need a special audio amp? My amp only has analog inputs.

Thanks
Yes, it doesn't have to be Special, but it does have to be able to decode AC3. The new Coolsat 8000 will decode AC3 and pass it through to your analog inputs, the only DVB receiver I know of that will do this. May be above your price range though?

Al

Well, most everything is above my price range.:)

What's a good amp for this? I asked at a couple of stores here and they didn't have a clue. They got that deer in the head light look.

I don't know what to tell you. You just have to get out and look. The last Radio Shack sale paper I received in the mail had a Yamaha on sale. Don't remember what it was in the sale paper, but I was in there today and the only Yamaha I saw was $250. Maybe the sale is over? I did see a Kenwood on sale for $180. I think it was a floor model and they may be trying to unstock it. It looked to me like it was a better unit than the Yamaha. You should be able to find something at WalMart that should work and at a reasonable price?

Al

Thanks for your help, I will give Radio Shack a call and see if they have anything that will decode AC3 audio.

Bubba I bought a rad shack Yamaha model right after Christmas, prob similar to what they had in the recent sale paper. Mine is a HTR5920 Natural Sound A/V Receiver and it does the AC-3 sound very well. It has both the S/PDIF connection and the coaxial connection for inputs. (and a mess of other inputs, you can get gray hair figuring out how to hook up everything you have to it lol) It was the home theaer setup anyway, with 5 speakers , super subwoofer too. About 300 bucks then.
charles

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)