Latest 211 Upgrade

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
If E* is going to "hide" the duplicate SD channels in the new and improved guide..Why not just drop them completely (from the eastern arc) and use the bandwidth for more productive uses such as more HD? ..or better yet..improved bit rate on existing channels?

I'm sure there are still a lot of people who have not upgraded their SD tv's to HD. In order for them to get full screen they still need an SD feed.

Just checked, I've got L563 . Guide is now similar to l676 on my 722. However, I also got the partial signal loss. Had it happen yesterday.

Last edited:
God 211 is soooo old school ,i got the rid of it long time ago!

Does exactly what I want. It's in my comnputer room, next to the computer desk. With an ehd, it gives me what I want. And the 722 in the living room, feeds the coax input of thetv. I can watch in HD live or recorded from the 211 and what I've recorded on the living room dvr in SD.

I'm sure there are still a lot of people who have not upgraded their SD tv's to HD. In order for them to get full screen they still need an SD feed...

They don't need an HDTV to watch HD channels, just an HD receiver (which the 211k is). As far as full screen on a square SDTV... that's what the "Page Down" button is for.

I watch HD channels on my SD CRT all the time. If it's a movie or normal TV show, I just let it have the black bars. If it's football or basketball, I go full screen with the page down button. Football (and most other sports) tend to keep the action in the SD safe zone.

In any event, most SD versions that are full screen are pretty much the same thing as what you can get on the HD version with the page down button. Only the HD version is better picQ (yes, on SDTVs too). So the only real reason to keep the SD feeds is for the remaining SD receivers that are still in service.

Cheers

Does exactly what I want...

Same here. As far as I'm concerned, a 211k is the best overall value that Dish offers. If you own your own equipment, the 211k is definitely the best bang for the buck.

Calling a 211k "old school" is not accurate. The number of internal satellite tuners has nothing to due with whether or not the technology is up to date.

Cheers

do you mean the 811?

The 211 is still a new receiver Dish sells. Just activated one a month ago

No he means the 211. Previously, he has declared the 612 and 722 Old School. He's entrenched in the 922 camp.

I guess I'm an "old school" kinda guy then. Loving my 211k :)

At times I miss the speed/symplicity back when I got my 3000.
And the 4700 was great till they started screwing with the encryption. Then the guide became harder to use, and the picture in the guide became unusable (too minutes for it to come up).

Three 211k receivers arrived today to join the existing 211k and replace the 501, 301, and 311.

my 211 with an EHD does exactly what I need it to do...and there are no DVR fees on my bill each month :) I did have a one time $40 activation fee...but if I remember correctly I think DISH has waived the activation fee now.

my 211 with an EHD does exactly what I need it to do...and there are no DVR fees on my bill each month :) I did have a one time $40 activation fee...but if I remember correctly I think DISH has waived the activation fee now.

Not for the 211. It was eliminated in Feb for the for the VIP dvr's.

I really like my personally-owned 211 and not having to pay rental or DVR fees, but the penalty seems to be not having the Sling Adapter available to me. Also, the iPad app won't work. Is there some technical reason why the 211 can't work with the Sling Adapter, or are we just second-class customers? Please forgive me if this has been answered many times before.

OP makes a VERY good point!

I'm sure there are still a lot of people who have not upgraded their SD tv's to HD. In order for them to get full screen they still need an SD feed.

You DO realize they are doing this very thing with the HD (only) locals on EA, right? The OP is asking why they do not do the very SAME thing for all the national channel HD feeds - as there is NO need for SD feeds of those same channels.
So, you would do the VERY same thing on the national channels as you would on the local HD feeds - use PAGE DOWN... ;)

So the only real reason to keep the SD feeds is for the remaining SD receivers that are still in service.

While that is true on WA, you do realize that there are NO SD receivers at all on EA, right??? That's why E* requires ALL HD receivers on EA since day 1, as there are NO MPEG4 SD-only receivers made... ;)

I really like my personally-owned 211 and not having to pay rental or DVR fees, but the penalty seems to be not having the Sling Adapter available to me. Also, the iPad app won't work. Is there some technical reason why the 211 can't work with the Sling Adapter, or are we just second-class customers? Please forgive me if this has been answered many times before.

It's not that your second class (I also have a 211 and a 722). Very simple. The 211 is not a true dvr and does not have the built in hardware to support the Sling. If you want to be able to use a Sling, you need to upgrade your receiver to one that does support it.

dwarren2 said:

Just checked, I've got L563 . Guide is now similar to l676 on my 722. However, I also got the partial signal loss. Had it happen yesterday.

I have an sd tv on my 211.I just watch the hd version. No big deal having letter boxed image.I agree since you are on eastern arc and need a vip receiver no reason to send sd for channels that are hd.My tv uses rf cable for the connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts