Latest 522 Issues??

Ed_Roch

Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
It seems there aren't as many posts regarding problems with the 522. Does that mean the latest patch has improved things, or are people just tired of posting issues?

Am thinking of going with Dish and wantthe 522, but all the issues I read here have scared me off. Am wondering if things are really as bad as it sounds with 522??

Does anyone have a unit that works perfect??

Ed_Roch said:
It seems there aren't as many posts regarding problems with the 522. Does that mean the latest patch has improved things, or are people just tired of posting issues?

Am thinking of going with Dish and wantthe 522, but all the issues I read here have scared me off. Am wondering if things are really as bad as it sounds with 522??

Personally I just got sick of the 522 and I am enjoying my TIVOs. :D :D :D

It seems to depend on the person.

I didn't have much experience with it prior to L2.03 (the latest release). In fact, I have NO experience prior to L2.02 (just got it Aug. 2nd).

My 522 is perfect 90% of the time.

The other 10%, though, make me wanna through it out the window.

Stuttering, freezing, audio drop outs and lack of NBR ("Name Based Recording) are the only things that bother me. I have not had any "Guide of Death" issues <<knock on wood>>, and the DVR records every timer I setup.

Ed_Roch said:

Don't you think it odd that many of the malcontents continue to monitor the Dish 522 and other Dish threads merely to come back and tell you how happy they are with TIVO and how they continue to hate Dish? Do you actually find relevant the complaints from obsessive compulsive posters in this forum, some of whom repeatedly post 6 thousand word rants, and spend hours uploading absurd and meaningless images concerning Dish and the 522? Ask yourself why TIVO users feel compelled to come back and post negative things about DISH?

TIVO and DISH are great, but so is Dish. Neither works "perfectly."

If there are any forum members who are just tired of posting, perhaps they are like me, and have just abandoned this site entirely.

This is certainly my last post, and my last visit to this site. I recommended this site in many other forums, and I certainly regret doing so. I had also considered contributing.

However, after noting how Simon not only allows but apparently encourages forum members to put Bush avatars along with huge sigs and links to Bush campaign site soliciting contributions to the Republican party, I am out of here. Perhaps it is a Texas thing which I do not understand, but I find it extremely offensive at a site such as this.

It is not Dish and the 522 that is defective, it is the owner of this site and how he moderates this forum.

However, after noting how Simon not only allows but apparently encourages forum members to put Bush avatars along with huge sigs and links to Bush campaign site soliciting contributions to the Republican party, I am out of here. Perhaps it is a Texas thing which I do not understand, but I find it extremely offensive at a site such as this.
This is a republican party contribution solicitation site? :eek:

And all this time I thought I was reading and writing about Dish Network. ;)

ignition said:
If you're referring to me, you're bonkers.

There's nothing in my avatar or signature regarding Bush. Plus I am not a moderator, so can NOT allow or deny anyone else's avatar or signature.

In closing, last I looked, we still had a First Amendment. Although it does not apply to a privately run site like this, the concept certainly applies to how Scott runs this place. You are also certainly free to leave.

Oh - and BTW, Scott is from the northeast (Connecticut I think), and I'm from Colorado - neither of us is Texan.

Well I am from Texas and I find the Bush avatars offensive as well since I am a Democrat . But I come here for Dish and Directv information not political Bullsh!t. This is an election year and people do a lot more advertising for their respective candidates. I really think they need to drop that crap and get back to Satellite discussion.

Kay Sera , Sera what ever will be ,will be . The future is not ours to see Kay Sera ,Sera.
-Doris Day :D

I don't know why anone would be offended by an avatar or sig of a political candidate from any party. I don't know how anyone that gets offended that easily even makes it through life. I do get offended, but it's by murder, hunger, etc.

I do know that there is a wealth of information on this site and I have not seen politics even metioned here (although I have not looked for political discussions), except the hijacking of this thread for political reasons. I say kudo's to whoever runs and moderates this site. Thank you all.

My opinion, nothing more.

I had my first 2.03 glitch.

Single Mode:

Recording Stargate SG-1 (122) and TheScreenSavers (191).

Pressed GUIDE

Screen went black and machine rebooted for no apparent reason.

After reboot, both timers refired to complete recordings. Still can't get it to duplicate the problem.

Anywho, that has been the only problem in a long, long time.

Mark, that's called the dreaded "Guide of Death." It only does it when recording on at least one tuner, and pressing guide.' It doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed it usually does it in the evening. Odd!

As for the rest of you, come on! Are you kidding!?
I'm not a fan of Bush (except the band lol), and I live in Texas, but still... this is the INTERNET! There's no way you can get away from the name 'Bush' - it's an election year! I personally don't remember seeing anything in Simon's sig, but I don't really care. If it bothers you THAT much dude, go stick your head in the sand.
Sorry if I offended anyone... I just come here for the satellite convo, but had to put in my two cents on how ridiculous this thread is! 'Nuff said.

I have had my 522 since last Thursday (downloaded 2.03 when it was installed so 2.03 is my only experience to date) and the only thing that has bugged me so far is the Dolby Digital stream completely shuts down on my optical output to my receiver anytime TV2's tuner is shutdown in Dual mode.

I know that is documented in other threads and hope it gets fixed in a future update.

I came over from an Ultimate TV receiver and can say that DVR is OK for folks who don't know any better, but once you get a taste of how its done right you can sure appreciate the differences.

I can only hope that E* will take their cues from their cousin Dave and perfect the 522 and the other DVR lines and make the products all they should be soon!

--Dudleydog73

ignition said:
Don't you think it odd that many of the malcontents continue to monitor the Dish 522 and other Dish threads merely to come back and tell you how happy they are with TIVO and how they continue to hate Dish? Do you actually find relevant the complaints from obsessive compulsive posters in this forum, some of whom repeatedly post 6 thousand word rants, and spend hours uploading absurd and meaningless images concerning Dish and the 522? Ask yourself why TIVO users feel compelled to come back and post negative things about DISH?

TIVO and DISH are great, but so is Dish. Neither works "perfectly."

If there are any forum members who are just tired of posting, perhaps they are like me, and have just abandoned this site entirely.

This is certainly my last post, and my last visit to this site. I recommended this site in many other forums, and I certainly regret doing so. I had also considered contributing.

It is not Dish and the 522 that is defective, it is the owner of this site and how he moderates this forum.
anybody but bush

the MAJOR thing that bugs me if when watching a recorded program the audio drops and the "breakups" and a minor thing i wish they would fix is that it give lower signal readings like 10-15 points lower goes out a little faster in rain fade but i wish they would deal with the first problem

Ed_Roch said:

Well, I'm certainly tired of posting about issues with the 522. Also, there's not much more people can say. Since all the bugs are already "out there" on this board, there's a finite amount of new complaining left to go around. If you want to know if things have improved, I would have to say not really (but maybe just a little). Pretty much everything I've posted about in my complaint thread still holds true. Don't take my word (or anyone else's) for it; go read the thread, examine the pictures, watch the videos, and decide for yourself.

Do you want to know the bottom line from my point of view? Anyone who says they have a 522 that works as advertised is either lucky, lying, or not observant enough to realize when something's wrong.

ignition said:
...complaints from obsessive compulsive posters in this forum, some of whom repeatedly post 6 thousand word rants...

I know, right? I hate people like that. :mad:

ignition said:
...and spend hours uploading absurd and meaningless images concerning Dish and the 522?

Well, maybe people who engage in that sort of activity feel that they are doing a service to this community and to the many potential 522 customers that will turn to this message board for information. You do believe in the free flow of ideas and information, don't you? Wouldn't you agree that a picture is worth a thousand words?

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe people also engage in that sort of behavior for another reason. Maybe they feel they have to document their grievances because they are constantly being put on the defensive by people like...well, see for yourself and you tell me. When someone gets called a "cranky perfectionist" for complaining about such "niggling" issues as RANDOM REBOOTS, TIMERS NOT RECORDING, LOSING THE ABILITY TO REWIND, LOSING THE TIME DISPLAYS, ETC. ETC. ETC., maybe they feel the best way to retort is with cold, hard proof.

ignition said:
TIVO and DISH are great, but so is Dish.

You must work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

ignition said:
However, after noting how Simon not only allows but apparently encourages forum members to put Bush avatars along with huge sigs and links to Bush campaign site soliciting contributions to the Republican party, I am out of here. (emphasis added)

Wow, you really need to hire a fact checker, and an editor. First of all, you mean SCOTT, not SIMON. Second, SCOTT doesn't "encourage" anything in favor of Bush. He simply grants members here the freedom to say what they want in their signature. Everyone here is more than welcome to have an anti-Bush slogan in their sig. (just like I have ;)). Third, regardless of where anyone stands on political issues, it's really sad that there are still people in this country who are so intolerant that it makes their blood boil to see the "other side" expressing an opinion. I stand somewhere just to the left of Michael Moore, so that should tell you how much adoration I have for Bush, but I would never think of shutting up someone for their beliefs or feelings. And I feel bad for you that you would. Good luck with that.

Bizzach said:
Mark, that's called the dreaded "Guide of Death." It only does it when recording on at least one tuner, and pressing guide.' It doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed it usually does it in the evening. Odd! (emphasis added)

Bizzach, that was always my experience, too. But last week I saw it happen with only TV1 on and no recording taking place. I was in Live TV, hit the button, and boom!

Ed_Roch said:

Well, I'm certainly tired of posting about issues with the 522. Also, there's not much more people can say. Since all the bugs are already "out there" on this board, there's a finite amount of new complaining left to go around. If you want to know if things have improved, I would have to say not really (but maybe just a little). Pretty much everything I've posted about in my complaint thread still holds true. Don't take my word (or anyone else's) for it; go read the thread, examine the pictures, watch the videos, and decide for yourself.

Do you want to know the bottom line from my point of view? Anyone who says they have a 522 that works as advertised is either lucky, lying, or not observant enough to realize when something's wrong.

ignition said:
...complaints from obsessive compulsive posters in this forum, some of whom repeatedly post 6 thousand word rants...

I know, right? I hate people like that. :mad:

ignition said:
...and spend hours uploading absurd and meaningless images concerning Dish and the 522?

Well, maybe people who engage in that sort of activity feel that they are doing a service to this community and to the many potential 522 customers that will turn to this message board for information. You do believe in the free flow of ideas and information, don't you? Wouldn't you agree that a picture is worth a thousand words?

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe people also engage in that sort of behavior for another reason. Maybe they feel they have to document their grievances because they are constantly being put on the defensive by people like...well, see for yourself and you tell me. When someone gets called a "cranky perfectionist" for complaining about such "niggling" issues as RANDOM REBOOTS, TIMERS NOT RECORDING, LOSING THE ABILITY TO REWIND, LOSING THE TIME DISPLAYS, ETC. ETC. ETC., maybe they feel the best way to retort is with cold, hard proof.

ignition said:
TIVO and DISH are great, but so is Dish.

You must work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

ignition said:
However, after noting how Simon not only allows but apparently encourages forum members to put Bush avatars along with huge sigs and links to Bush campaign site soliciting contributions to the Republican party, I am out of here. (emphasis added)

Wow, you really need to hire a fact checker, and an editor. First of all, you mean SCOTT, not SIMON. Second, SCOTT doesn't "encourage" anything in favor of Bush. He simply grants members here the freedom to say what they want in their signature. Everyone here is more than welcome to have an anti-Bush slogan in their sig. (just like I have ;)). Third, regardless of where anyone stands on political issues, it's really sad that there are still people in this country who are so intolerant that it makes their blood boil to see the "other side" expressing an opinion. I stand somewhere just to the left of Michael Moore, so that should tell you how much adoration I have for Bush, but I would never think of shutting up someone for their beliefs or feelings. And I feel bad for you that you would. Good luck with that.

Bizzach said:
Mark, that's called the dreaded "Guide of Death." It only does it when recording on at least one tuner, and pressing guide.' It doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed it usually does it in the evening. Odd! (emphasis added)

Bizzach, that was always my experience, too. But last week I saw it happen with only TV1 on and no recording taking place. I was in Live TV, hit the button, and boom!

ChrisCoop said:

Yeah, I know there are oddities out there. Just like sometimes it's NOT in the evening. I should have said "most of the time!" lol

But then again, it could have been just yours.... we all know that your box is f**kED! :p

I just experienced the guide of death... I was going to record star trek and hit the guide and BOOM it crashed.... If this happens one more time Im calling dish network and ask for a stand alone box.

itsonthedish said:
I just experienced the guide of death... I was going to record star trek and hit the guide and BOOM it crashed.... If this happens one more time Im calling dish network and ask for a stand alone box.

mine does it too...every two or three days...INCREDIBLY annoying!

The major new issue for me on 2.03 is a new twist on audio dropout. While watching a recorded program, sound will drop out completely and the skip forward and back trick will not bring it back. The only thing I've found that will bring it back when this happens is to change to a live show, then resume watching your recorded program. This has only happened to me three times since I got 2.03 4 or 5 days ago, but it is highly annoying.

I've also noticed brief but very intense bouts of audio "popping" on occasion -- where the audio will pop every 5 seconds or so for a minute. I'm watching more live stuff than usual with the olympics though, so maybe this has been an issue previously.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Guide of Death has also returned for me in 2.03 after not being an issue since the 1.6x era. Incidentally, I think you can avoid guide of death by getting to guide through menu button then hitting one. I've never experienced guide of death that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)