A (cautious) thumbs up!

LosingPatience

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2004
LaPaz, Indiana
Well, my 921 installed without a hitch. Hooked it up, ran a Check Switch, it downloaded L186 right away, I did a "Smart Card reboot," Dish authorized it and my programming showed up immediately. Sweet.

Then I changed the channel… big mistake. My video went all wanky (like a VCR with the tracking out of whack). The only way to get the picture back was to go back to the guide and then re-select the same channel (or cycle through the screen settings with the “*” key). Happens every time I change the channel. A power cord reboot did nothing. Ok, this sucks.

I tried recording something, from the guide, and it worked perfectly – started and stopped properly and the recording was actually there when I went to play it. Cool. But when I tried to play it, the same wanky video; on play, or pause, or skip, or hit any button on the remote. Ok, this really sucks.

Then Saturday night the Dish Elves apparently visited the thing because the problem went away. It worked perfectly all day Sunday as I played around with pausing live TV and recording one channel while watching another. Gotta say, this DVR stuff is da bomb. I feel like I just arrived in the 21st century.

My only issue (right now) is that the video from the 921 seems much harsher than my 6000: bright scenes seem overdriven, with everything looking like the daylight scenes in "Pitch Black," while dark scenes are way too dark. Switch back to the 6000 (using the same S-Video cable) and they look perfect. Hate to mess with the TV (a Pioneer Elite 610HD), because it's been balanced with the Avia DVD and looks perfect for DVDs and LaserDiscs. Anyone else seeing this?

So, I have a timer set to record The Daily Show rerun this morning. We'll see how that works. Right now I am cautiously optimistic.

You haven't really told us much about your setup - except it seems that you're hooking the 921 to your TV via an S-Video cable. That's no good - it's SD-only.

I'm hoping you're just using the wrong terminology. Quick way to tell - which of the 921's lights are on - blue (HD) or yellow (SD)?

The only way to get HD from the 921 is via DVI or component.

Sorry 'bout that. My PQ concerns are in SD mode, which is S-Video from the 921 to a JVC JXS555 A/V switch to the Elite 610. I have this setup to keep the bundle wires runing to the TV to a minimum. I also use the JVC to feed whatever I'm watching to a TV in another room and, on occasion, to the ol' reliable SVHS. With the 6000, this setup has always looked great (well, as great as Dish SD can look on a 58" screen).

In HD, which is component from the 921 directly to the monitor, the picture seems to be fine.

LosingPatience said:
Well, my 921 installed without a hitch. Hooked it up, ran a Check Switch, it downloaded L186 right away, I did a "Smart Card reboot," Dish authorized it and my programming showed up immediately. Sweet.

Then I changed the channel… big mistake. My video went all wanky (like a VCR with the tracking out of whack). The only way to get the picture back was to go back to the guide and then re-select the same channel (or cycle through the screen settings with the “*” key). Happens every time I change the channel. A power cord reboot did nothing. Ok, this sucks.

I tried recording something, from the guide, and it worked perfectly – started and stopped properly and the recording was actually there when I went to play it. Cool. But when I tried to play it, the same wanky video; on play, or pause, or skip, or hit any button on the remote. Ok, this really sucks.

Then Saturday night the Dish Elves apparently visited the thing because the problem went away. It worked perfectly all day Sunday as I played around with pausing live TV and recording one channel while watching another. Gotta say, this DVR stuff is da bomb. I feel like I just arrived in the 21st century.

My only issue (right now) is that the video from the 921 seems much harsher than my 6000: bright scenes seem overdriven, with everything looking like the daylight scenes in "Pitch Black," while dark scenes are way too dark. Switch back to the 6000 (using the same S-Video cable) and they look perfect. Hate to mess with the TV (a Pioneer Elite 610HD), because it's been balanced with the Avia DVD and looks perfect for DVDs and LaserDiscs. Anyone else seeing this?

So, I have a timer set to record The Daily Show rerun this morning. We'll see how that works. Right now I am cautiously optimistic.
What are you using for the HD connection? Perhaps the SD connector is bad or the amplifier for the SD output is overcharged.

boy921 said:
What are you using for the HD connection? Perhaps the SD connector is bad or the amplifier for the SD output is overcharged.

A Monster composite cable for HD, Monster S-Video for SD. If I just unplug the SD cable from the 921 and plug it back into the 6000, the picture is great. It's definitely the 921; I just wanted to know if I have a bad one, or if this is just how they are. Actually, if this is how the 921's picture is, then I'll be shipping it back - all the cool DVR stuff isn't worth a dime if the picture is this lousy.

LosingPatience said:
A Monster composite cable for HD, Monster S-Video for SD. If I just unplug the SD cable from the 921 and plug it back into the 6000, the picture is great. It's definitely the 921; I just wanted to know if I have a bad one, or if this is just how they are. Actually, if this is how the 921's picture is, then I'll be shipping it back - all the cool DVR stuff isn't worth a dime if the picture is this lousy.
I think you have a bad 921.

Well, it took some arguing with an "Advanced Tech" but they're swapping out my 921. Initially, she tried to say that she'd report the issue to the engineers and they would fix both problems with a software update. I said riiiiiiiiiight... how can software fix a problem that only I seem to have? She finally saw my point.

I can't wait to see how this next box performs. I can only assume that it will be a "reconditioned" lemon that they swapped out for someone else, right? Old one = perfect DVR, wanky picture. New one = ?????

LosingPatience said:
Well, it took some arguing with an "Advanced Tech" but they're swapping out my 921. Initially, she tried to say that she'd report the issue to the engineers and they would fix both problems with a software update. I said riiiiiiiiiight... how can software fix a problem that only I seem to have? She finally saw my point.

I can't wait to see how this next box performs. I can only assume that it will be a "reconditioned" lemon that they swapped out for someone else, right? Old one = perfect DVR, wanky picture. New one = ?????
Odds are that when you get your swapped 921, it won't have the same problem.

Just to update this thread. I received a replacement 921 (L186, Flash 053, Boot F150) on Friday. It didn’t correct either issue. In fact, ISSUE #2, the Video Overdrive, was much, much worse. In the end, I put my old 921 back (L186, Flash 052, Boot F140) and shipped the replacement box right back to Dish.

As for ISSUE #1, I did a little experimenting and discovered that, when you switch to HD, and then switch back to SD, the Component Video jacks on the 921 are still outputting a signal (even though *only* the yellow SD output light is on). It’s the fact that a mismatched signal is coming from both the Component and the S-Video inputs that was giving my monitor fits. No amount of switching between HD and SD corrects the problem – in SD the HD outputs continue to both emit a signal.

After an overnight reboot, when the 921 is left is SD mode, this “phantom” signal on the Component Video jacks is gone and all is well, at least until you switch to HD and then try to go back to SD.

My workaround is to connect the HD cable to Input 2 on the monitor… which makes me sad because, with the 6000 receiver, I was able to let the TV automatically switch Input 1 between S-Video or Composite input (and I had one less button to push).

LosingPatience said:
Just to update this thread. I received a replacement 921 (L186, Flash 053, Boot F150) on Friday. It didn’t correct either issue. In fact, ISSUE #2, the Video Overdrive, was much, much worse. In the end, I put my old 921 back (L186, Flash 052, Boot F140) and shipped the replacement box right back to Dish.

As for ISSUE #1, I did a little experimenting and discovered that, when you switch to HD, and then switch back to SD, the Component Video jacks on the 921 are still outputting a signal (even though *only* the yellow SD output light is on). It’s the fact that a mismatched signal is coming from both the Component and the S-Video inputs that was giving my monitor fits. No amount of switching between HD and SD corrects the problem – in SD the HD outputs continue to both emit a signal.

After an overnight reboot, when the 921 is left is SD mode, this “phantom” signal on the Component Video jacks is gone and all is well, at least until you switch to HD and then try to go back to SD.

My workaround is to connect the HD cable to Input 2 on the monitor… which makes me sad because, with the 6000 receiver, I was able to let the TV automatically switch Input 1 between S-Video or Composite input (and I had one less button to push).
Ok, I'm not an expert here but perhaps there is a wire configuration issues specifically between the 921 and your monitor. Can you try the 921 with the S-video on another monitor and determine if it is problematic? Experience has shown that sometimes the wiring configurations in the monitors will cause major problems when there is poor isolation!

I don't see how it can be a cable issue. First thing in the AM, turn on the 921 in SD mode. TV has a picture. Unplug the S-Video cable. TV goes dark. Now, reconnect the S-Video cable, then switch the 921 to HD mode, then from HD back to SD mode. Completely disconnect the S-Video cable between the 921 and the TV and... there's still a picture. Either it's magic, or there is still a signal coming through the HD outputs of the 921.

The issue is that the 921 is outputting a signal from the HD output when it is in SD mode. If I connect just the S-Video output then everyting is fine because there would be no competing signal coming from the HD component (which is what I had to do to get around this problem - move HD to "Input 2" on the monitor).

LosingPatience said:
I don't see how it can be a cable issue. First thing in the AM, turn on the 921 in SD mode. TV has a picture. Unplug the S-Video cable. TV goes dark. Now, reconnect the S-Video cable, then switch the 921 to HD mode, then from HD back to SD mode. Completely disconnect the S-Video cable between the 921 and the TV and... there's still a picture. Either it's magic, or there is still a signal coming through the HD outputs of the 921.

The issue is that the 921 is outputting a signal from the HD output when it is in SD mode. If I connect just the S-Video output then everyting is fine because there would be no competing signal coming from the HD composite (which is what I had to do to get around this problem - move HD to "Input 2" on the monitor).

Ok, this is a very interesting circumstance that you have described. Just a couple of questions:
1. Are you running in SD/HD mode? Are both amber and blue lights illuminated?
2. Do you have more than one connection to the monitor for SD? are you using component cables for the HD? The yellow connector for the composit input on your monitor may be bridged, thus causing the problem. There may exist a poor ground issue too. If you are using a DVI cable, bridging of signals shouldn't be a problem. I admit, it's strange. Wish I could see it.
As I recall, you replaced the 921, the second was worse?

1. Nope - SD only, only the amber light is on.

2. Nope again - SD connection is an S-Video cable, HD connection is a COMPONENT cable (I know, I've been saying "composite" like a total loser) . No DVI and no RCA. Noting else running to the monitor except audio. The monitor automatically switches between the VGA/Composite/S-Video/RCA inputs, in that order, depending on where an active signal is. It is not happy at all when the 921 send it the same signal on two different inputs - it doesn't seem to know which one to pick, so it seems to select both at once. Again, I never had this problem with my 6000 - it always switched between Hd and SD, composite and S-Video, cleanly.

The second 921 had this "phantom signal" too, and it also had a horrible fan noise and overdriven video. I sent it back and kept by original box.

Just out of curiosity but why are you running the S video cable to the monitor at all? Why not run the SD and HD through the component output to the monitor and the S video to your switch only? Perhaps I'm just not understanding your setup.

I don't like the look of SD after it's been upconverted by the 921 and fed through the HD component output. SD looks much better when it enters my monitor via S-Video; probably because the line doubler in my monitor is disabled when the set is fed an HD signal.

Has anyone talked about transfering the data from the internal HDD via a IDE cable to another HDD within a computer or at least looking at the contents of the HDD to see how the files are stored/labeled and the extension?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts