Latest chat with Tech support

bobrap

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Estill Springs, TN
Just got off the phone with tech support about my signal strength on 129. Was told that my home transponder, #17, had low signal strength of 68. Rain fade inevitable. Asked about the two dish setup and was told that I should leave 129 on the dish 1000 and move 110/119 to a dish 500. Make sense to you guys? She didn't know about a release date for the audio problems fix and said that the USB setup is ready for download, just didn't know if they are going to use it.:eek:

So there's my info contribution for today. Just wish I could get my setup to not quit when moisture's in the air.:D

Any chance you could get a LOS to 61.5?

Adding a 500 for 110/119 will do nothing to improve the 129 signal.

On edit, after reading link from above post: I suspect the improvement on 129 was due to the 1000 being aimed better when the change was made.

On second thought, adding a 500 for 110/119 would free up the 1000 to be aimed better for 129, rather than making tradeoffs for signal strength between 3 satellites, so there could be some improvement. But I'd still recommend going with 61.5 if at all possible. Maybe in a year or 2 129 will be replaced and be a "good" bird. At least until then, 61.5 is the better bet for signal quality for those with a good LOS.

Last edited:
I just called my local installer (so he calls himself) and when it rains, everybody loses sat he says. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with him to do any service calls for 90 days, unless I want to pay for the call. Gonna try and get him out to realign my dish again.:haha

Last edited:
It's not necessarily the installers fault. It is (nearly?) impossible to peak out all three sats on the 1000. The two dish suggestion is best. If he is a retailer I don't know why he didn't just do that, but I wasn't there so I'll not judge him.

I"m not goin HD until they MAKE me. Hopefully by then it will actually work right.

Roadwarrior said:
It's not necessarily the installers fault. It is (nearly?) impossible to peak out all three sats on the 1000. The two dish suggestion is best. If he is a retailer I don't know why he didn't just do that, but I wasn't there so I'll not judge him.

I"m not goin HD until they MAKE me. Hopefully by then it will actually work right.

SOMETIMES, the Dish 1000 drives me nuts trying to get the 129 to come in at all.

Here's hoping Dish comes up with a better solution.

They say the elevation for the 129 in my area is 29 but I think that's wrong. From now on I want at least clearance at 25-26.

The one thing I know is that although Dish swears that you can peak the D1000 using the 119 satellite and everything will be fine, I have never been able to do this. I always first find the 119 and then peak on the 129. Yes you have to give a little on the 119/110 but it is a must that th dish be peaked on 129. Signal of 80 or so is about max on it. I always recomend a two dish setup with the 61.5 instead of 129 but some people can't deal with 2 dishes.

Additionally the DPP Twin is a bit flakey anyway for peaking. Anytime I have a Dish500 or D1000 using the DPP twin, I always use an older DP or Legacy twin to peak and then put the DPP twin on after it is peaked. And then it will be dead on.

rich88 said:
They say the elevation for the 129 in my area is 29 but I think that's wrong. From now on I want at least clearance at 25-26.

I have found that the elevation is always a couple of degrees off of what dish quotes. Don't understand it but even will all other parameters correct The elevavation has to be different. A minor inconvenience once you know where to set it in your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)