Latest iphone 5 runors 4/20/11

And here is what was said a few moments ago regarding the question at the Apple earnings call qtr report.

5:50 p.m. There's a good question about whether the next iPhone will be coming later than expected. Usually Apple announces new iPhones in early summer, but there have been reports that it will be later this year. But Apple is having none of that: They don't comment on products that haven't been announced.

Read into that what you want. :)

Should this be called a rumor or not? The source is pretty official.

Verizon CFO: Next IPhone To Be Global Device

By Roger Cheng
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The next version of the Verizon Wireless iPhone will be a global device, according to the financial chief of the carrier's parent company.
Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo said he expects Verizon Wireless to be on equal footing with AT&T with the next version of the iPhone. He didn't, however, disclose when the device would launch and whether it would be able to tap into a 4G connection.
AT&T often touts the advantage that its iPhone can work in many more countries than the Verizon version, which runs on a wireless standard that isn't as commonly used throughout the world.
Shammo, speaking to analysts on a conference call on Thursday, also said he expects a more significant margin impact with the introduction of the next iPhone.
"The fluctuation will come with the next iPhone," he said.
The current version, which launched in February, has already driven customer growth at Verizon Wireless. The company activated 2.2 million iPhones since the launch, with 22% coming from new customers. He said 54% of the carrier's new customers signed up for an iPhone or a Thunderbolt.
Beyond the Thunderbolt, Shammo said he expects one 4G smartphone each from Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (SSNHY, 005930.SE) and LG Electronics Inc. (066570.SE), implicitly confirming that Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI) was delaying its own device.
Shammo also backed the company's target of getting a smartphone to 50% of its base this year. Roughly a third of its customers currently use a smartphone.
Shammo also reiterated that Verizon would move to tiered pricing for both its 3G and 4G services by the middle of summer.
Verizon Wireless is jointly owned by Verizon and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD).

-By Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2153; roger.cheng@dowjones.com

Should this be called a rumor or not? The source is pretty official.

It is probably more than a rumor but it does not actually say much. No word on release date or features. No word on LTE vs. CDMA--although calling ita glbal device implies it might be LTE.

No word on LTE vs. CDMA.

LTE is apart from CDMA. Adding that radio does not automatically eliminate CDMA. Verizon phones will have CDMA with or without LTE for the next several years.

Dodgerking- He didn't say No 4G. He didn't say anything.

Personally, I do believe Apple is having trouble with their testing of 4G and battery life. The more radios they add to these phones and more power in the processor, the more we use the battery. The LiIon battery chemistry is pretty much a fixed AH capacity for a given size so unless the phone gets bigger in size, the run time will get lower as we add functions. As I was explaining to Ramy yesterday, I like the idea of all the power and accept that it requires more battery to run that power. So I have a spare battery. Iphone design doesn't permit the swap of the battery so they have to make the phone bigger or explain to their fan base that its OK to have a 3 hour smartphone. :( A good way for Apple to get around this is to design an OS that triggers the radios to be on only when needed and go into a sleep mode when not needed. In other words, a user should be able to turn on and off each function manually and be able to have the phone wake up when a call comes in. I can control some of this but newer phones do global shutdown, not partial. Say I want to shut down LTE but just use the CDMA EVDO radio. ( 3G) Can't do this now. ( Note- Ramy told me of an app that permits this however) Bottom line- the software needs to be smarter in battery conservation or we will have to get used to swapping batteries or larger phones with bigger batteries.

Agreed I should have been clearer that I meant CDMA only or LTE-----my bad.

Plenty of jailbreak apps give you flexibility to turn radios on and off but many iphone users just leave everything on all the time even Bluetooth and wiFi ----which is fine if you don't mind recharging it constantly but I never quite saw thje point.

I leave WiFi on because I used WiFi about 95% of the time. As for BT, I leave it on because I forget to turn it off. When I do turn it off, I forget to turn it back on when I need it. It is just easier to leave everything on. I charge my phone each night but can probably get away with charging it every other day.

iPhone 5 Features Spilled By Verizon Exec

This article insists that Apple has said it won't have LTE.

BTW I turn off WiFi and BT and i don't think i could ever go 2 days without charging. YMMV I guess. But DK's post confirms what Isaid----most iPhone users leave everything on even when those features are not in use. I find it easier to turn the radios on and off than to keep recharging the device. But that's just me.

Geronimo- Sorry I missed the conference call Wednesday as I got side tracked. Currently I'm long on Apple anyway and have decided to ride out the bumps on a daily basis, continue to buy on each pull back. But for technical reasons, I want to see where they are headed on this. I do know that the Chinese began testing an LTE / CDMA iphone earlier in the month but haven't heard how that turned out. Maybe that testing failed??? I do believe that Apple is having trouble with the battery run time with these new radio chips. Anyway the webcast of the conference call that was streamed live will be posted in a couple weeks. I haven't seen a transcript of it either. If you find something, please post it.

Don Landis said:
LTE is apart from CDMA. Adding that radio does not automatically eliminate CDMA. Verizon phones will have CDMA with or without LTE for the next several years.

Dodgerking- He didn't say No 4G. He didn't say anything.

Personally, I do believe Apple is having trouble with their testing of 4G and battery life. The more radios they add to these phones and more power in the processor, the more we use the battery. The LiIon battery chemistry is pretty much a fixed AH capacity for a given size so unless the phone gets bigger in size, the run time will get lower as we add functions. As I was explaining to Ramy yesterday, I like the idea of all the power and accept that it requires more battery to run that power. So I have a spare battery. Iphone design doesn't permit the swap of the battery so they have to make the phone bigger or explain to their fan base that its OK to have a 3 hour smartphone. :( A good way for Apple to get around this is to design an OS that triggers the radios to be on only when needed and go into a sleep mode when not needed. In other words, a user should be able to turn on and off each function manually and be able to have the phone wake up when a call comes in. I can control some of this but newer phones do global shutdown, not partial. Say I want to shut down LTE but just use the CDMA EVDO radio. ( 3G) Can't do this now. ( Note- Ramy told me of an app that permits this however) Bottom line- the software needs to be smarter in battery conservation or we will have to get used to swapping batteries or larger phones with bigger batteries.

I think this makes sense, good explanation. Still, I don't think a 3 hr phone will sell. Hard to market that.

I hope VZW also continues to put out Android global devices. Given a forthcoming trip to Europe next summer, I will need one.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

There are LTE phones out there. Is the batter life this ad on them as well or is there some reason why it would be worse on iOS.

Inability to swap batteries has been my biggest complaint from day one with iphone. I can't recall the high number of times when I have been out and about and iphone users got caught with a phone that has a dead battery. I'd be in the same boat but ever since I began using a PDA with an hp IPAQ, I have always carried a spare. I always said it goes with the territory.
I use a Thunderbolt now and sure, if I use the LTE with display on the battery only lasts about 2.5 hours. But if I use it like a normal phone with these LTE features as necessary, and talk on the phone as needed, one battery lasts me between 7-8 hours. IF I decide to watch a TV show with sling player, sure the life is much less, but then I have that spare to swap out. I don't really think the LTE causes one to have short battery life, its more like when an average user gets a broadband speed that can watch sling media or as Ramy said he does, stream music until the battery goes dead. you're not going to get the same life as you get when just using 3G for a quick e-mail download or a quick lookup on your browser.

BTW- if I put the phone in Airplane mode as in all radios off, and watch a couple of movies stored on the SD card, the battery lasts just about the same time as when using sling player. Its more the fact that you have the screen on constantly as opposed to using LTE for internet. The screen is the biggest drain on the battery, not the speed of your internet connection be it LTE or EVDO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)