Latest Model of a Solo Receiver?

The 512 is basically a 522 locked in Single Mode, which makes it a dual-tuner Solo receiver with 8PSK and PIP but no MPEG-4 or ethernet. It is already in production.

I thought only the 501/508 was not 8PSK compatable. So if the 510 is not 8PSK compatable either then it sounds like a replacement to all of the single tuner MPEG-2 DVR's on the market.

I would think that it would be cheaper for them to provide a 612 instead of coming out with another new model.

So it looks like it would have the same fee as a 612, $10 per month, but good for those that do not want to pay the $17 for a 522.

I asked why not start providing MPEG-4 boxes like the 612 now and avoid having to revisit those customers when the conversion comes, and was told the 612 is much more expensive to produce and they didn't want to make that investment in customers who on average have much cheaper programming. Being a variant of the 522, the 512 isn't really new.

E really could probably save money by dramatically reducing the number of receivers.

make them all DVRs, cripple DVR after a few months for people who refuse to pay extra. might as well make them all dual tuner too, and high def.

economies of scale and training saved since with few models everyone would be far more familiar with them

E really could probably save money by dramatically reducing the number of receivers.

make them all DVRs, cripple DVR after a few months for people who refuse to pay extra. might as well make them all dual tuner too, and high def.

economies of scale and training saved since with few models everyone would be far more familiar with them

Now that would be logical........and highly unlikely considering we are after all talking about Dishnetowrk and how they are managed.

The churn is so high that they do not want to have to put the money into the customers that don't need/want HD. Dish Network owns these receivers anyways so they just recycle them all.

I asked why not start providing MPEG-4 boxes like the 612 now and avoid having to revisit those customers when the conversion comes, and was told the 612 is much more expensive to produce and they didn't want to make that investment in customers who on average have much cheaper programming. Being a variant of the 522, the 512 isn't really new.

That's odd. It doesn't have much to do with each customer - it has to do with getting better use out of available satellite bandwidth. Lot's of savings to shift to MPEG-4. Putting more non-MPEG-4 boxes out just delays the shift and wastes money over the long run. Whether the customer has the family pack or AEP, must pale in comparison to long run savings from MPEG-4 (which is and will ever more be for more than just HD).

Nah, the 512 seems to be the 522 in single user mode from what was said earlier. They wouldn't make it a 612 in SD only. They want to use up those 522 receivers they have left over.

Keep in mind that it is going to be a $17 monthly fee if you are adding this on as an additional receiver on your account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts