Latest Model of a Solo Receiver?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
What is Dish Network's latest model of a solo (single tuner) basic receiver? Is it the 311?

Thanks,
Eric

I don't see why the 211 wouldn't be just as good for WA. The 311 has been out of production for many years, and is not MPEG-4 capable.

Last edited:
The 311 has been out of production for quite some time now. However, I believe they have a huge number of them still in use, and are still shipping them out to some customers. It does not do MPEG-4.

I believe the only receivers currently in production are the ViP series.

Dish will move to 8PSK across the board in the foreseeable future. The 311 can handle that. The 301 and certain others cannot. Eventually they will move to MPEG-4 only, but that is probably years off.

Today, for a new customer, I would suggest only the ViP series, as they are HD capable and a bit more "future proof." Dish no doubt wants the bandwidth savings that are to come from 8PSK and MPEG-4, but they also would no doubt like to reduce their code base. Got to be costly to keep updating software for a wide variety of receivers.

Any new customer subscribing that wants a basic single receiver will be installed with a 211. Doesn't matter on western or eastern arc. So I would say the 211 is now the basic single receiver unless you are signing up as a DHA TOO customer.

I want to see some specs on the upcoming 512. Reputedly it's a Solo SD DVR receiver like the 612 Solo HD DVR receiver. But is it a VIP? Does it have USB? How about an OTA tuner?

I want to see some specs on the upcoming 512. Reputedly it's a Solo SD DVR receiver like the 612 Solo HD DVR receiver. But is it a VIP? Does it have USB? How about an OTA tuner?

I bet its a 510 with a larger hard drive. E does that a lot.

7100 to 7200

522 to 625

etc etc

I'd say it is exceedingly unlikely that Dish is going to put out any non-MPEG-4 compliant new receivers. And it would hardly be worth putting out any more new SD only receivers.

211 is your latest model solo receiver.

The 311 is going to be the only other solo receiver once they do all the receiver swapouts to 8PSK compatable receivers. They may ship out a lot of 311's to those needing their legacy/301/50X receivers swapped out.

I'd say that the only change that they will make in the 512 vs the 510 is the hard drive size. They probably ran out of resources for the smaller hard drives that the 510 used and have no choice but to use the larger hard drives. I do not think 512 is really going to be a brand new receiver introduced to the market. It is just going to be a refurbished receiver that they are keeping on the market until they run out of supply just like the 311.

I wonder what Dish Network done with all the 301 guts? I am sure they used the 301 shells on refurbing the 311 receivers.

211 is your latest solo receiver

311 is not the latest. It has been around for a while.

512 is probably going to be 510 with larger hard drive since they cannot get any smaller hard drives to put into the 510. They are just recycling through their 510's like they do the 311/111/522/625 receivers until they have no more to refurb. They must still have plenty of those 510's left. I'm sure they will use the same shell from any 501/508/510 that comes in and just slap a new sticker on it and put larger hard drive in it.

512 is probably going to be 510 with larger hard drive since they cannot get any smaller hard drives to put into the 510. They are just recycling through their 510's like they do the 311/111/522/625 receivers until they have no more to refurb. They must still have plenty of those 510's left. I'm sure they will use the same shell from any 501/508/510 that comes in and just slap a new sticker on it and put larger hard drive in it.

nah they always use brand new covers on what are supposed to be new boxes. and since so few are owned it doesnt matter anyway

You know Gazer you can delete your other dups...
512 is probably going to be 510 with larger hard drive since they cannot get any smaller hard drives to put into the 510. They are just recycling through their 510's...
It will have brand new guts because the 510 is only a QPSK box, and they're trying to move the Western arc over to 8PSK ASAP.

I don't know anything, but I bet we see something closer to the VIP612 than a 510.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts