Launch day XBox 360 finally bricks itself...

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
26 months... better than most, but mine finally died. Not the three rings (just one, and an E74 error message). I've got the MS extended warranty, so no worries on the cost front.....

Anyone seen whether they are getting newer units with returned units, or the older styles. Would love to get an unintentional HDMI upgrade......

How long are the returns taking? Just waiting for my console coffin to arrive so I can send it to them....

Hey Bob try booting up without your hdd attached. One light is a hard drive error you may not have to replace the entire unit.

I did. It didn't work. He said the code was an internal console error. It looked like the video chip crapped out. The image was pixellating badly. It had the same look on the screen when one of my PC video cards died a decade ago.....

Yeah E 74 is HD. Your machine may be fine. Might be time to pick up the 120 gig one :)

I DO have the 120 GB one. I upgraded last year. I disconnected the HDD and it still had the same error code. It may be something on the console board that crapped out.

Sorry to hear that Bob. You can escalate the issue and demand live points. Just let them know that you have multiple I.D's in your home and that it will not be convenient to have to be on live to use all of your arcade titles. A friend of mine had to do this and received enough ms points to rebuy all of his arcade titles.

It looked like the video chip crapped out. The image was pixellating badly. It had the same look on the screen when one of my PC video cards died a decade ago.....

Yup that is exactly what happened to mine two months ago. No error codes or "ring of death" - different games would just freeze and show weird pixels all over the screen. I got the box and then shipped it to them and they sent me a replacement Xbox "to speed up the process". I believe I had the replacement within 2 weeks.

:( try using a different cable < hdmi < component etc.

Mine only had the HDTV/TV AV Cable... No HDMI on my unit as it was one of the originals.... Mine would get pretty hot, but I kept it well ventilated as I did with the power brick which I stood on its side to help it dissipate heat more readily (DON'T lay these things down on a rug as they cook when you do).

Sorry to hear that Bob. You can escalate the issue and demand live points. Just let them know that you have multiple I.D's in your home and that it will not be convenient to have to be on live to use all of your arcade titles. A friend of mine had to do this and received enough ms points to rebuy all of his arcade titles.

That's a good thing, as my son, daughter, and wife play the games as well, but they don't have XBox Live access, only mine does I believe....

I've got 32 arcade titles and about 40 TV programs (Robot Chicken, Looney Toons, etc.) that I would hope they would let me keep access to.....

Sorry to hear, hope mine is not soon to follow. It reads COD4 super loud, but that seems to be something I have seen a few times on the COD board. My manufacture date is 12-9-2005, I can't believe I have had this thing that long, lol.

Bill

Mine had a born on date of 10/2005, I believe.....

Supposedly, as much as 1/3 of the machines are having issues. Mine received heavy use, but still blew up in spite of the precautions I took to keep things cool.....

Still waiting on the empty box to show up. Two days since I called it in on Tuesday.... I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow so I can get it back out in themail before the weekend...

I take great care with keeping mine free of cat air and dust build up in general. We did have a power outage a few weeks back, well a few brown outs then a power outage I should say. During the brown outs I got one red ring on the box but I believe that was related to no A/V since the TV & receiver had shut off. The only other problem I have encounterd is that the USB door on the front no longer springs shut, I have all the pieces for it but no desire to fix it at this point.

The wife did comment on how it sounds like a buzzsaw with COD4. I told her that I think it may be time to think about getting a new one but I dont want to have to go through the hassle of trying to get all of my stuff moved to the new one.

Bill

My day one is still holding on strong. I have been making sure it gets good ventilation and stays clear of any dust.

I hate to say, but I wish it would kinda die so I can get an elite with the HDMI and bigger hard drive and pass this one down to the kids.

OK, the XBox360 is like my wife in one way...... It can inspire love, passion, anger, and frustration all in the same day.

Yes, I wish it were more stable, but it is just so much daggum fun when it is working....

I love my 360 and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's like a child in that it isn't perfect and when it does everything like it's supposed to it puts a smile one your face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)