Lawn Installation questions

Joebada

Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
New England
Hello,

I am thinking of getting the dish, but will be unable to put it on my roofdue to a line of oak trees that block the southern sky several months out ofthe year.

If I want the dish installed on my lawn:

1. Will I have to prepare the site myself and what would be required?

2. Do I have to dig the trench to my house for the cable to be laid?

3. If the installer is willing to do this, will it cost me anything? If so,how much?

4. Has anyone had an installation company do a job like this? Did they do agood job - I have heard many do very sloppy work when doing roof installations.

Thank you very much.

What about southeastern skys Dish Network has two different arcs one is the Western Arc which you probably cant get the other is Eastern Arc which i am pretty shore you can get.

Joebada said:
Hello,

4. Has anyone had an installation company do a job like this? Did they do agood job - I have heard many do very sloppy work when doing roof installations.

Thank you very much.

This is a very sad thing to be noted. While there are some very sloppy installers, there are many out there that actually take pride in thier work. I personally take offense to this statement as i am very conscious of aestetics. I do installs as if it was my own house. And honestly, i can be anal.

But to answer your other questions, yes dish installers can do this, but expect them to need to make 2 appointments, the first to determine best place to install everything, and possibly set you up with a temporary install, and then the second to come out and finish the install due to the requirement to call USA dig to mark utilities on your property.

If you want to save some time, and you know exactly where your line of sight will be, dig the trench yourself to the appropriate lication, especially if it over 100' (i believe) since thats the limit to the distance a standard free install will allow. And make sure you inform dish ahead of time of a pole mount breing done so thye can bring the appropriate cable, since not all cable is designed to be burried.

Hope this helps somewhat.

According to our system here, the "custom" amount of a burial is anything over 50'. Anything over that is a "custom" work order, and that runs about $50. That is really the only correction I have.

No prep work is needed on your part as far as trenching for the drop, or setting a pole. Having someone come out and mark utilities is a great idea if you can do it beforehand. This is more to save time on your part.

My suggestion is to always disclose your intention on the installation, again just to save time for you and hassle for the tech.

DISH will do this directly for you, btw. One thing to make note of: First, have the tech tell you what it is he is going to do as far as the installation before any drilling. Discuss any changes you would like to make before the first hole is drilled. He will tell you what can and cannot be done, not to mention go through any work order modifications that are necessary. Some w/o modifications cost additional. Each "custom" mod runs about $50, and so long as you understand that things will go smooth. The modification will be either due at the time with a direct DISH rep, or possibly the next bill. Also, at the end of the job, make sure that it is to your liking before signing saying the job is complete. This insures that you have the installation you want and you say that the job is neat and tidy. Once you sign saying the w/o is complete, any changes come at a cost to you.

I've had two pole mounts in the yard over the past 5 years. The pole was about 80 feet from the house. They did everything in one trip for me and buried the cable even though I offered to do it. Before the last install for HD, I ran PVC from the house to the pole position to thread the cable through and had the fish line waiting at the pole end for them. I have my wireless internet antenna mounted out there as well so having the PVC for conduit makes running new cable painless.

If you get an in-house tech, either a) dig the hole for him and offer to bury the cable or b) expect the dish to be put on a non-pen mount for about a week while the utilities are marked. After the utilities are marked, dish will return to complete the pole mount and bury the cable.

Company policy is nothing breaks the ground without utilities being marked.

I've had two pole mounts in the yard over the past 5 years. The pole was about 80 feet from the house. They did everything in one trip for me and buried the cable even though I offered to do it. Before the last install for HD, I ran PVC from the house to the pole position to thread the cable through and had the fish line waiting at the pole end for them. I have my wireless internet antenna mounted out there as well so having the PVC for conduit makes running new cable painless.

My preference would be one inch black 100 PSI black polyethylene water pipe, available for about $30 for a 100 foot coil at Lowes or Home Depot. Most all low voltage cable and fiber optic companies have switched to polyethylene over PVC. It has no joint and is incrediblely smooth on the inside. The utilities use orange or brown, but black is just fine for you.

I'd purchase a 100ft fish tape, just in case the tech does not have one.

If it makes you feel better, I when I upgraded to HD the only place to see 61.5/72 was placing the dish in my yard. (In addition I needed to keep 119/110) Installer was great. The installation was great, he had the cement and everything he needed. (And he went through two or three people to explain why this was a mixed arc set-up) So ya, there are good ones out there. This was in CT.

This is a very sad thing to be noted. While there are some very sloppy installers, there are many out there that actually take pride in thier work. I personally take offense to this statement as i am very conscious of aestetics. I do installs as if it was my own house. And honestly, i can be anal.
I'm sorry.. but exactly how can you take offense at this when 1) the OP didn't say "I heard dishman was a sloppy installer" and 2) *YOU* admit there are some very sloppy installers out there??

I'm busting yer balls because *you* need to direct such offenses back toward your bosses and Dish ... give a report of everything you found wrong with an install you found after the fact.. make a point to the bosses you want someone to start checking up on those other installers work so that they stop giving *you* a bad name..

nutz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)