Layer3 TV?

I read that it is only available in four cities, but then I read a review of someone who was in a different market using the service over their Spectrum Broadband connection so maybe they've expanded beyond where they can provide fiber service.

Note also that T-Mobile was/is making a play for the company.

Maybe I'm missing something, but pricing seems comparable to cable with packages starting at $75/mo. + $10/mo box rental after the first.

Maybe I'm missing something, but pricing seems comparable to cable with packages starting at $75/mo. + $10/mo box rental after the first.
And it appears the $75 price is a promo price for the first year.

Not really seeing the draw here.

Not really seeing the draw here.
Same here, I don't see it. Unless, the general population sees the no SD and 4K channels as a thing to grab it.
Been like that since T-mobile acquired them in January.

Yeah, even though this is internet streamed, I don't know this thread belongs in the Cord-Cutters Club area. It's just another form of cable TV (like U-verse), including a required box rental. In fact, when I chatted, the CSR referred to himself as a "cable concierge."

In fact, when I chatted, the CSR referred to himself as a "cable concierge."
Yeah, that is what the guy called him self that popped up to chat with me, on their website.

I read that it is only available in four cities, but then I read a review of someone who was in a different market using the service over their Spectrum Broadband connection so maybe they've expanded beyond where they can provide fiber service.

Note also that T-Mobile was/is making a play for the company.

I do not have their fiber service. I’m in Chicago. I have XFINITY for internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do not have their fiber service. I’m in Chicago. I have XFINITY for internet.
It looks like either way you do Layer3, you'll still need an Internet connection for your regular Internet activity. The advantage to the fiber service being that it doesn't take a big bite out of your Internet connection.

It looks like either way you do Layer3, you'll still need an Internet connection for your regular Internet activity. The advantage to the fiber service being that it doesn't take a big bite out of your Internet connection.

As is the case with all streaming services. You have to have internet. I don’t see a big jump in my data usage using Layer3 so far. They seem to be able to stream at a relatively low bandwidth, yet with great PQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As is the case with all streaming services. You have to have internet.
The difference from cable being that if you have their fiber service, it doesn't appear to offer broadband Internet. Until not too long ago, Layer3 wasn't an OTT service.
I don’t see a big jump in my data usage using Layer3 so far. They seem to be able to stream at a relatively low bandwidth, yet with great PQ
I read speculation that they're using HEVC. Perhaps not obviously, this would make their service incompatible with many (if not all) third party DVRs.

It would be interesting to hear if there's a significant time delay versus other delivery mechanisms due to the more complex compression.

The difference from cable being that if you have their fiber service, it doesn't appear to offer broadband Internet. Until not too long ago, Layer3 wasn't an OTT service.I read speculation that they're using HEVC. Perhaps not obviously, this would make their service incompatible with many (if not all) third party DVRs.

It would be interesting to hear if there's a significant time delay versus other delivery mechanisms due to the more complex compression.

Time delay compared to other services? Meaning how far back they are from actually being “live”?

Meaning how far back they are from actually being “live”?
That is the definition of time delay. The electronics definitions are misleading as they only delay triggers and not the entire timeline.

I most frequently notice this when talking to someone on the phone that is watching the same TV program from a different carrier.

That is the definition of time delay. The electronics definitions are misleading as they only delay triggers and not the entire timeline.

I most frequently notice this when talking to someone on the phone that is watching the same TV program from a different carrier.

It’s definitely delayed. Compared to DirecTV which I also have it’s about 5-10 seconds behind.

It’s definitely delayed. Compared to DirecTV which I also have it’s about 5-10 seconds behind.
Thanks for the benchmark. DIRECTV is typically a few seconds behind (the HD channels being somewhat further behind than the SD channels) so that's quite a lag.

As is the case with all streaming services. You have to have internet. I don’t see a big jump in my data usage using Layer3 so far. They seem to be able to stream at a relatively low bandwidth, yet with great PQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If it's coming through your cable line,should it even use data?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)