Lcd Or Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugzze

Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I am looking at High Definition Televisions and cannot make up my mind about purchasing a tube HDTV television or an LCD television. Could someone please help me? My Sony Trinitron XBR Tube Televison that I have had for 14 years is going bad, but has been an excellent television. Thanks for any help and a reply will be greatly appreciated.

I am personally planning on LCD (going to buy one at the end of the year or early next year after remodeling is done). Tubes are just too heavy now.

Just make sure you get to demo and LCD set. All technologies have their pros and cons. I still like the big balky HDTV CRT RPTV's best of all the really big set technologies. So preference can go a long way for you to decide for sure.

I just bought the Panasonic 34" widescreen.

I feel I got the most "bang for the buck" and wow factor with a CRT.

If you are going to buy an LCD (or for that matter a high end HDTV) make sure to get it from a dealer with good money back guarantee. LCD suffer from stuck pixels that are sometimes visible from 10 feet. This is quite a viewing distraction. I am not saying stay away from it but be careful about the purchasing them. The same applies to the other Technologies - plasma, DLPs, Projectors. Make sure you understand the pros and cons. It could save you a lot of headaches.

I have both, an HD LCD and HD CRT. The CRT has much better PQ, as it can reach 1080i, as lots of LCD's can only do 720p-which starts to blur on fast motion on most LCD's. Bottem line, if you have space go for a higher end HD CRT, such as Sony's XBR line, and please get a widesceen.

Response time is important, be sure to get under 20ms response time for LCD to avoid blurring on fast motion. Many of the new ones are 16ms, which minimizes blurring. There are some 1080i LCDs, but most of the large panel ones are currently 720p.

I have a Wega XBR Sony tube, it does a very nice job with HDTV, but I probably would not buy another one since the tube TV is way too heavy.

Sugzze said:
I am looking at High Definition Televisions and cannot make up my mind about purchasing a tube HDTV television or an LCD television. Could someone please help me? My Sony Trinitron XBR Tube Televison that I have had for 14 years is going bad, but has been an excellent television. Thanks for any help and a reply will be greatly appreciated.
DLP is the only way to go!

Sorry guys a 9" crt front projector is the only way to go if you want the ultimate in hdtv. LCD has poor contrans and dead pixels. Someday it might get there but I suspect that other technologies are goin to replace it. DLP is getting better but Texas Instruments has not come out with a true 1920*1080 chip and the black level detail is not there yet and the rainbows are still a bother to some people and the only way to avoid the rainbow effect is to by a 30,000 dollar 3-chip unit. To be fair a crt front projector is more complex to set up and may not seem as bright as a dlp (actually for small areas a crt is actually brighter but can't do full screen as bright) but once set up there is nothing else like it. To sum it up, the old reliable crt in whatever form is still the best so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts