Learn Spanish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Anyone aware of any Cband or KU band shows daily or weekly that teaches Spanish for kids and/or adults?

Plaza Sesamo (Latin American's co-production of Sesame Street) is probably a good start -- I think it's on V Me on 125 West. I've seen it on Univision, Telemundo, and Azteca 7 in the past as well.

Reactions: iBoston
If you find a Spanish show that is interesting to watch without having to know what is being said, you may pick up some from that. Me and my daughter watch a show in Spanish that is similar to Wipeout and have picked up a bit of Spanish from it.

A friend of mine whose native language is French, she learned English from watching Tv when she first moved here to the states.

If you find a Spanish show that is interesting to watch without having to know what is being said, you may pick up some from that. Me and my daughter watch a show in Spanish that is similar to Wipeout and have picked up a bit of Spanish from it.

A friend of mine whose native language is French, she learned English from watching Tv when she first moved here to the states.

What/where is this spanish show similiar to WipeOut?

Telemundo network on 105W C-band on AMC18. Also Univision is FTA on some Ku and C-band satellites. Satbeams.com gives a list when you do a search on univision, but I am not sure how accurate it is. It includes encrypted transponders also.

What/where is this spanish show similiar to WipeOut?

On 97w C band, on the Azteca 7 HD and Azteca 13 HD channels either at 8 or 9 at night on Saturdays, the time it's on varies, I think it's on Sundays sometimes too. My daughter usually catches it when it's on and then gets me to watch it with her. It's called Grand Prix [El Grand Prix del Verano] and it's funny as hell sometimes. They also have English speaking movies on those channels sometimes on the weekends.

It will take a while, but the trick is to try not to translate what you hear to English as you hear it. When you hear book, you know what a book is. You picture a book. When you hear Libro there is no need for you to think, libro means book and then picture the book. Skip the step. It's not as easy as it sounds to some, but that is the trick to REALLY learning the language rather than picking up a few words.

As to those that say they learn a language by watching TV/Movies, that is mostly a myth for adults and later teens. TV and movies will help you apply vocabulary and contextualize concepts. But there has to be a base. I learned English in a summer being thrown in to a neighborhood with kids that didn't speak a word of Spanish. But I had taken two years of Elementary English before. I couldn't speak a word, but I had a base of the language when I was "thrown into the pool."

Reactions: northgeorgia
Don't waste your time trying to find a TV program. I believe that a TV program can only be used as a secondary resource to test what you already know. Use the Duolingo app... it's by far the best language learning app ever. AND IT'S ALL FREE!! Studies show that it's more effective than Rosetta Stone. I remember reading somewhere that somewhere around 35 hours of using Duolingo is equivalent to one college semester of a language course. I use the app myself, and it's helped me a lot. I'm trying to learn Spanish, so keeping my dish parked at Hispasat is a good way to practice hearing what I learn from Duolingo. And I'm very happy with my level of understand so far.

Reactions: iBoston
Yep, don´t translate in your head, you didn´t learn your native English that way.

I´ve seen some French lessons on the cuban chs on Hispasat.

The thing that has worked for me to learn a number of different languages is Pimsleur, to learn fast to speak and listen, but writing and reading has to be complemented in other ways when using that method.

Foreign language programming on FTA is a GREAT resource! But don't forget, to really pick up the language you have to be an active listener, not a passive one. Usually, we interact with TV (OK, maybe not us FTA hobbyists, actually) in a very passive way, to veg out, etc. But for effectiveness, you need to really pay attention to everything from gestures to accents, to set phrases, and new vocabulary, and back this up with reading online websites in Spanish, taking a community course, and making friends who speak it if possible. It's kind of "one piece" of a larger puzzle -- a great opportunity for learning, but in isolation it can leave you dissatisfied. --> Spanish and English as a Second Language teacher :)

Not too long ago I saw a really great learn Spanish program on PBS. It had a companion book. What made this program different was that a person with a rather neutral western hemisphere Spanish accent was traveling all over the Spanish speaking world starting with Madrid. You got to hear every possible Spanish accent and dialect as the series progressed. It is designed to learn as you watch, but there is companion material. The program is called "Destinos"
http://learner.org/series/destinos/watch/

Reactions: pmasterp
I believe (in part by experience) that if you speak Spanish, you can get around easily, regardless of the accent, in any country where Spanish is spoken.
Sure, some words and phrases may be used differently but that´s not a big deal.

Reactions: TNGTony
There are many good suggestions here. I would also say that repeating phrases over and over again out loud helps too. Try Duolingo, learn some vocabulary, practice saying sentences in Spanish, and watch Spanish TV to listen for words you recognize. Also try to pay attention to commonly used words or phrases on Spanish TV because in a lot of cases, things don't translate word-for-word.

One phrase I learned by watching Cubavision is how to say "You're right" in Spanish, which is "Tienes razón". That literally translates... "You have reason".

Or "I like" in Spanish translates as "Me gusta", which literally means "It pleases me".

I like when Cubavision has American movies with Spanish subtitles.

Good points above.
In time you´ll get those phrases, that´s why it does help a lot to watch tv in Spanish.

To say "I´m hot" when you feel the temperature is hot in a room or any place, translates as "Estoy caliente" and in many Spanish speaking countries, that could trigger some strange looks, as in some countries that also means...."I´m horny". :rollingeyes,,, so in Spanish you´d usually say "Hace Calor" which is "It´s hot". :D

I believe (in part by experience) that if you speak Spanish, you can get around easily, regardless of the accent, in any country where Spanish is spoken.
Sure, some words and phrases may be used differently but that´s not a big deal.
Of course, you are correct. however, There are some very numerous differences in some words especially slang words. The word Bicho in many areas means a bug. In others its a slang word for penis.

Of course, you are correct. however, There are some very numerous differences in some words especially slang words. The word Bicho in many areas means a bug. In others its a slang word for penis.

Right, usually people will laugh if they know you´re not from the area. There´s a word that means a candy in some countries, but in other countries is slang for female genitalia.

Good points above.
In time you´ll get those phrases, that´s why it does help a lot to watch tv in Spanish.

To say "I´m hot" when you feel the temperature is hot in a room or any place, translates as "Estoy caliente" and in many Spanish speaking countries, that could trigger some strange looks, as in some countries that also means...."I´m horny". :rollingeyes,,, so in Spanish you´d usually say "Hace Calor" which is "It´s hot". :D

This one by the way, is the same situation in French equivalent.

I-am-hot-in-French-300x232.jpg

Reactions: TNGTony
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)