learning the remote colored buttons

jeff_k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Diego, CA
I am using a learning remote and trying to teach it the red-green-yellow-blue buttons from the hopper remote, but they are not taking. Are these UHF-only buttons?

Yes, you will have to use a 20.0, 21.0, or a 21.1 in order to teach your other remote the IR codes.

URC-200 Automator, it has no PC connection for editing codes. I am not aware that there is a way to enter in codes (aside from the code for an entire remote) - I have always just learned them.

Not being as smart as a "learning remote" I could use a cheat sheet to decipher the functions in different screens.
I have noticed some functions have a tiny (near invisible) colored button next to them, others are hidden functions only available if you know which color to touch from the correct screen.

The colored buttons are very useful with Hopper/Joey. I use them at every opportunity. For example, say you want to check your signal strength. Instead of hitting MENU - Settings - Diagnostics - Point Dish simply hit YELLOW - YELLOW.

The colored buttons are very useful with Hopper/Joey. I use them at every opportunity. For example, say you want to check your signal strength. Instead of hitting MENU - Settings - Diagnostics - Point Dish simply hit YELLOW - YELLOW.

Now, that's an interesting trick!

URC-200 Automator, it has no PC connection for editing codes. I am not aware that there is a way to enter in codes (aside from the code for an entire remote) - I have always just learned them.
Do you have any other remotes besides URC, like an old radio shack, one-for-all or cable remote? If so, many of those can send the Dish colored commands via codes.

If not, you'll have to buy one of the Dish remotes 3Halo posted. I've seen them on ebay for as little as $6 shipped.

Those remotes (almost every model made by UEI) can send any function using individual function codes (not complete device setup codes like you use on your URC, but unique codes for each function). These are called advanced codes, "magic" codes or EFC's. No particular button is involved, as these functions do not exist in the remote until the code is entered. The codes and procedures depend on the model. If you think you might have such a remote, if you post the make and model, I can tell you if it will work and will post the details.

Is there a complete list of these functions anywhere???

Never heard of that model and can't find any info about it. If you're talking about the old DirecTV URC 4702, then, no, it won't work. The Zenith 4702 won't work either. Can you post a picture or link to the manual?

I was looking online for a cheap remote that would fill the bill. Still can't find my old cable remote, which I think might be around somewhere. If you see one for <$10 on ebay that would work I would be interested. I hate to retire my universal so it would be worth getting a cheap remote for the codes to learn.

Any comcast remote like THIS one for $4.25 shipped should work fine. Set it up to use Cable code 00775 (some cable remotes have code lock, so if you have trouble post back and I'll tell you how to unlock it). Then tap setup followed quickly by the following numbers. When you press the last the command is sent until you release the button.

Red 048
Green 108
Yellow 078
Blue 046

Depending on the comcast model, you may have to add two more zeros to the front, i.e., 00108 instead of just 108.

I have several of these remotes stored away (couldn't resist buying a lot of them for 50 cents a piece a while back), so I can verify the exact procedure in a few days.

As for buying the cable remote, why not just buy a cheap 20.0/21.0/21.1 Dish remote? Then you'll have a spare one that you can actually use.
I agree that's a very good option. But I think the OP wants to do this for the absolute lowest price possible. The cheapest Dish 2x.x remote I could find is $6.82 shipped, which is a whopping $2.57 more than the comcast ;). Plus the benefit of getting a JP1 remote is you can also use it to teach any discrete code for nearly any device, not just Dish. The Comcast can actually do 100% of the Dish remote functions, plus macros and discretes that the Dish remote cannot.

Ehh ok. $2.57 is chump change but ok. I'd rather have a spare Dish remote than an ugly Comcrap remote lying around personally... Then again I don't have a thousand remotes that need teaching, so I guess if that were the case then having a remote with all the codes built-in might be nice. To each their own though :) .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts