Lease a a 510 vs Buy a 508?

mallu2u

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I totally dislike the fact that I have to pay E* $5 a month for leasing my 510 dvr. And therefore I started looking for a 508 to replace it. But seems that the best price I can a 508 would be just shy of $200. Now my Q is- Is it worth buying the 508 for that price? I would break-even after 40 months ( at $5 bucks/month).

Then I started thinking. Over the next 3 yrs who knows what technology might come out or whether 921 is dirt cheap as well. Or the same for HD Tivo (they might start making such that D* TV independent). Ultimately my plan to record HD from my OTA antenna. Coz I do not like the quality of SD that much, esp when I watch it over my 60'' Sony XBR. Guess I am spiled by HD now.

Am I missing something? Having a hard time making the justification of spening 200 now. What do u guys say? Should I lease 510 or buy it. If it were $50, I would not think twice and just go for it. But $200 makes me think a bit.

mallu2u said:
I totally dislike the fact that I have to pay E* $5 a month for leasing my 510 dvr. And therefore I started looking for a 508 to replace it. But seems that the best price I can a 508 would be just shy of $200. Now my Q is- Is it worth buying the 508 for that price? I would break-even after 40 months ( at $5 bucks/month).

Then I started thinking. Over the next 3 yrs who knows what technology might come out or whether 921 is dirt cheap as well. Or the same for HD Tivo (they might start making such that D* TV independent). Ultimately my plan to record HD from my OTA antenna. Coz I do not like the quality of SD that much, esp when I watch it over my 60'' Sony XBR. Guess I am spiled by HD now.

Am I missing something? Having a hard time making the justification of spening 200 now. What do u guys say? Should I lease 510 or buy it. If it were $50, I would not think twice and just go for it. But $200 makes me think a bit.

I weighed the same thing when i was getting my 510 and 311 from E* vs buying the 508 and the 301. I concluded to lease because:

In 24 months I will probably be living somewhere else and needing different recievers.

In 24 months Im sure Ill get HDTV and probably jsut move the 522 back to the back room and use it to cover the 510 and 311 currently

If it breaks after 90 days (unless you have DPP or some extended warranty) you are out 200 wheras dish will replace the 510 for a moderate shipping fee.

The dish 510 (in my opinion) is relatively bug free.

etc etc.

If you subscribe to the everything pack leasing is better. You are not out the $$ up front, you do not have a monthly fee, and you do not have to worry about selling the receiver.

Otherwise you have to balance the $5/month DVR fee against the depreciation of the box over time. How much will you be able to sell your used 508 for when you want to sell it. Plus the loss of the extra disk space the 510 has over the 508.

If you can buy the 508 for cheap enough upfront then you could probably go good that route (such as $100-125). The 510 is probably going to cost more upfront anyways on top of that $5 a month DVR fee. One may want to just get the PC DVR where you can use any size hard drive and store anything and burn to dvd's, etc.

Hmm.. Sometimes I wonder if it is well known that the $5 lease fee can take over the $5 additional outlet fee. I kept one of my old receivers and got an 811, and pay the same as I did before.

I like free stuff :D

I know but u still end up paying $5 DVR fee for 510. So unless u have a 508, u are paying them $10 extra per month, no matter what. Unless ofcourse u have all ALL PACK...

thats exactly what I am thinking now. Not worth it to buy it since I rather pay $60 and get a 'new' DVR that records HD, when it goes down in price...unless I could get the 508 around $100

Thats why I took the DVR deal they had going on for the 510 because it was only around $100 which is the same cost as a new 301/311 so why not seeing how I got AEP and I dont have to pay for the $5 DVR fee.

when u say ur not paying the dvr fee, u mean its substituted coz of outlet fee and lease fee? Coz u end up pyaing them $10 no matter what....two out of the three- outlet, dvr or lease on 510. For 508, it would just be the outlet fee. I got my 510 for $50 which was well worth it coz it allowed me the setup another connection for my 2nd TV and got some other god work done as well. Well worth over $100 job done for cheap! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)