Lease Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
If I get a system with 2 HD DVR's now, when the new HD DirecTivo comes out, will I as an existing customer who is leasing, be able to upgrade both receivers to the new HD DirecTivo at no extra cost because of the lease (like a cable company would do with newer boxes)? What happens if a current leased receiver dies? Does D* act like a cable company and swap out the current dead receiver at no charge?

Also, does the current HD DVR have to be connected to an internet/phone connection to function? What if you don't care about VOD?

Since the new HDTiVo is still not available, I doubt anyone knows what the leasing deals could be.

The current HD DVRs do not need phone or ethernet connections to operate.

currently, if a leased receiver dies (and it's not intentionally damaged), then they replace it. You basically have a perpetual warranty. No one knows how the new Tivos are going to work. There is speculation that it will simply be a software upgrade to existing DVRs or it could be new hardware. The only thing you can do is wait.

As jdspencer said, you do not have to have phone or network connected to the current DVRs unless you want PPV or VOD. No one knows if the new Tivos will require a connection or not.

How does the Caller ID work on these receivers? I have Vonage. Will the name/number automatically display on the TV screen if I plug the receiver into a phone connection?

How does the Caller ID work on these receivers? I have Vonage. Will the name/number automatically display on the TV screen if I plug the receiver into a phone connection?

Yes. It will be a popup screen, although you can turn that off. There is also a history which can be reached from the menu, although you cannot delete more than one call at a time. Some people with VOIP service apparently have CID issues, but it works for me with Vonage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)