Lease to own

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone know if Voom has a least to own deal?

My wife wants to get it but isn't happy with the $9.50 per box plus for every outlet after the first one a $5.00 fee on top of that. We have a 3 TV set up that I would need to have hooked up.

You need to give your wife a math lesson in economics. :)

Assume you buy the equipment at $900. 3 receivers. I believe it was $499 +$199 +$199 plus tax-

Cost of the rent is= 38.50 per month
B/E point is about 2 years.

Another way of looking at it is, do you really need 3 home theaters with HDTV active in your house? Why not just co with one receiver, rent it. for the HDTV in your main home theater. Then add cable service or another lower cost dbs for the other 2 rooms. Voom's claim to fame is HDTV but HDTV is not all that noticeable unless your screen is in excess of 50 inches.

Finally, consider that the current VOOM receivers are first generation boxes, soon to be obsolete. They really are quite first generation usability and way overpriced. Again, VOOM's claim to fame is its programming in HDTV and the variety offered. Their hardware really is not worth the asking price but that is just my opinion. It definitly is worth the no upfront money to get, however.

I'm in a similar situation, but with only two TV's. Having another service just doesn't set well with me finacially. I'm going to have to pick one and accept whatever I have to sacrifice. I wan't Voom's HD, but not sure if I'm ready to give up what the other providers offer.

I agree there. I can't justify another service for two of my TVs. I really want Voom as well, but for 3 TV's total I was quoted $78 for their Voom package with three boxes and the two outlet fees on top of their $39.90 programming charge. That's quite a bit for programming considering I'm paying about $55 a month for Directv for the same number of rooms and the Dtivo.

Does anyone know if Voom gives any kind of discount if you have their VaVaVoom package, kind of like Directv waives the DTivo fee if you have their top package?

Just keep in mind that you don't need 3 separate receivers to watch Voom on three separate TV's.

You jst need three receivers if you want to watch 3 different shows (non-local) at the same time.

I would recoment running the antenna to all your tv's - so you can get locals on all your tvs - and then just sending the voom signal from one box to all the other tvs.

You can do this via a simple modulator and your existing coax runs.

True, I didn't think about that.

I wouldn't have to drill any more holes to do this would I?

Don Landis said:
Voom's claim to fame is HDTV but HDTV is not all that noticeable unless your screen is in excess of 50 inches.

Holy Cow really? You mean I have been watching HDTV for 2 years on my 38in wide screen tube HDTV for nothing? Damn...Im canceling right now.

Don Landis said:
......... but HDTV is not all that noticeable unless your screen is in excess of 50 inches.
1. MY screen is 47" RPTV.
2. Are you on crack or have you been watching everything through analog cables?

Mine's 43". So today's math lesson is that some of us bought TV's that are too small to notice the difference between HDTV and standard definition?

vinny07 is short by 12 inches
The Stone Man is short by 7 inches
vurbano is short by 3 inches

The under-endowed will have to remember the 50 inch rule when looking for the next HDTV purchase.

Don Landis said:
Voom's claim to fame is HDTV but HDTV is not all that noticeable unless your screen is in excess of 50 inches.

I just don't understand where this myth comes from. I have a 32" hdtv and the difference between sd and hd is mind boggling. HD is HD regardless of screen size. I've seen 40" to 50" generic brand hdtv's that don't look quite as sharp as my 32". Now, I would definately agree that sd signal looks much worse on 40"+ screens.

Don Landis said:

QUOTE]

Oh boy - Don you'd better don the asbestos suit cause here come the flames!!!

I just bought a 50" LCD rear projection and I guess this means that I am barely adequate? Hmmm...

Good point about the economics of the situation. I'll be upgrading my Voom stb to the DVR when (and if) that happens anyway. I wouldn't want to purchase what I've got.

The Stone Man said:
Mine's 43". So today's math lesson is that some of us bought TV's that are too small to notice the difference between HDTV and standard definition?

vinny07 is short by 12 inches
The Stone Man is short by 7 inches
vurbano is short by 3 inches

The under-endowed will have to remember the 50 inch rule when looking for the next HDTV purchase.

I am short by 14.

I suspect your SD is so crappy that the HD shows an improvement!

Using a 92" wide screen here. I've seen the old 20th century tube and CRT RPTV's and the SD does indeed look like crap on them. HD looks a bit better I suppose but the HD on those small older technology screens looks worse than most of my SD here on a 92" screen.

I'd say what you don't know won't hurt you and if you're happy with the PQ you get with your small screen TV sets on HDTV, then I'm happy for you. Just know that if you ever do switch to a large screen size and new state of the art display technology you will be in for a real super treat of an upgrade! If that thought that there may be something out there better than your 32" TV set upsets you then you better stay off the forums and out of the higher end Home theater stores.

Now having said that, what I have is certainly not the creme de la creme as there are some screens and displays that can demonstrate even greater detail and accuracy already present in the HDTV signal. But, if you want to believe that a 32" monitor maximizes your HDTV experience then you will have a pleasant surprise when you decide to go bigger and better.

History- In 1978 I upgraded to a 72" screen FPTV from a 25" RCA TV set. In 1999 I upgraded to a 92" FPTV. In 2003, I switched to all digital DLP FPTV. I have rented a Pioneer Plasma 40" I also own a 21" CRT (RGBHV HDTV display) and 17" LCD HDTV and trust me, I can see the differences!

Don, the size of the screen means bupkiss. It's all in the ability to display the format. I guarantee HD on a 27" 720p or 1080i capable display is better than on a 92" 480i-only display. Wouldn't you agree? Your size argument is irrelevant. It is the resolution that matters.

Whether I'm happy with a 32" screen is not the point. Your ridiculous comment about needing a 50" or larger screen to notice hd is what I chose to address. Which, btw, is still a ridiculous comment.

I have a 17" LCD in the bedroom, and it's a night and day difference between SD and HD content.

You also mention: Alvy Ray, conveniently leaves out key factors in his argument for 720P. He also fails to address the fact that Interlace scanning is designed to display on a screen technology that is designed for interlace, while making examples of flicker that is seen on a monitor where interlace is displayed on a progressive scan device, rather he states categorically that progressive scan is superior in every way while the truth is that is is not. He loves to compare apples to oranges, such as comparing maximum specs on 720P to what is broadcast (practice) in 1080I. Hidden in his own words he covers is butt by stating a number set in a chart that shows when comparing specs that his whole argument is false, i.e. the 1080i pixel count is less than 720P pixel count unless he thinks that 62M < 55M. As I said he covers his butt but uses an apples oranges comparison to make his point.
Fact is- 720P looks better, less flicker, on a monitor designed for progressive scan while on a monitor designed for interlace scan the interlace signal will look better, assuming both are capable of displaying all the resolution the signal has present.
It is true that the broadcast practice is to limit the horizontal pixel count to 1440 rather than the spec of 1920 due to popular use of HDCAM equipment. This does not make the ATSC spec change, it just makes the practice have room to grow as the equipment gets better in the future.
FWIW- I prefer 720P native output from my equipment here because it is what my native display is designed for. It is a digital 720x1280 display. However, my other backup display is an analog CRT FPTV and that is best used with 1080i 30 signal.

The real gem is 1080p 30fps or even better, 1080p 60fps but unfortunately those exceed the broadcast bandwidth and will only be realized in the future with closed systems such as HD-DVD.

My main disagreement with Smith is that he tries to make an argument for name calling of a technology by stating that one display format should apply in all cases. I feel he is wrong and that matching up the proper display signal to the display technology maximizes the image and eliminates the very artifacts he is complaining about. Much of his argument makes about as much sense as the old argument that dpi on a printer is equal to LPI is equal to pixels which is only true if you leave out certain facts, or in math, certain parts of the equation.

Bottom line- If you use a progressive digital display, use 720P
If you use an analog phosphor screen you can use either 720P or 1080i but 1080i may give you a higher detail depending on it's ability to resolve differences between 1280 and 1440. To my knowledge there are no broadcasts yet claiming 1920 pixels except those with full HDTV sourcing from D5 and not being bandwidth restricted below the full allotted 19.4. The system allows for this but it is not being practiced on any wide scale.

And this has what to do with your ridiculous statement? This isn't a discussion about the merits of 720p or 1080i.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts