Lease ver. Own VIP622

NightRyder,
Thanks for the update. So the question asked again is "which is better, own or lease"? If you have on one receiver and are charged the lease fee then you probably would be better off owning. If you have more than one receiver then leasing may be better for you. If you need to own it then it doesn't matter from an economic standpoint, you gotta own it. I don't need to own it so it makes better financial sense because I have 4 receivers on my account.

mb1058 said:
NightRyder,
Thanks for the update. So the question asked again is "which is better, own or lease"? If you have on one receiver and are charged the lease fee then you probably would be better off owning. If you have more than one receiver then leasing may be better for you. If you need to own it then it doesn't matter from an economic standpoint, you gotta own it. I don't need to own it so it makes better financial sense because I have 4 receivers on my account.

Sure, one size does not fit all. :) There are legitimate reasons for either choice.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
One last time then I give up..................

DISH CHANGED THE RULES UNDER D.I.U.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/fees/

Why does DISH Network charge a $5 leased receiver fee under the DISH’n It Up promotion?

DISH Network charges this fee for each receiver leased through the Existing Customer DISH’n It Up promotion. This fee helps cover the costs associated with broadcasting programming to you through the additional receiver.

Why does DISH Network charge an equipment rental fee under the Digital Home Advantage promotion?

A $5.00 equipment rental fee for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $5.00 per month will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first.

Yes, if you have another receiver either owned or leased through DHA, you should be able to make it your primary and only be out $1 extra a month, but if your only receiver is leased through the DIU promotion you get dinged with the $6 monthly fee.

NightRyder
I currently have: 501, 301, 4000, 7120 receivers all owned. I currently pay the $5 additional receiver fee for 3 of the 4 ($15 per month). I currently pay no DVR fees. I am upgrading (leasing) a 622 and will replace the 4000. So, I will have a 622, 501, 301 & 7120. I will have HDplatinum w/locals & superstations. What should my DVR/Additional receiver fees per month be?

It will be $1 more than you pay now, because the $6 lease fee will replace the $5 additional receiver fee on the 4000. The DVR fee is waived with HD platinum.

I always thought the DIU receiver was automatically placed as the Primary receiver on the customers account although this is not clearly stated in the DIU fine print. In my case, I have a leased 942 and 811 (DHA) and a purchased 622. Since the 942 is primary on the account (under the DHA promotion), it would cost me an additional HD receiver lease fee if I were to replace the 942 with a 622 under DUI. Why would E* allow me to declare my owned 622 as the primary receiver under DHA when it wasn't obtained under the DHA promotion and, more importantly, I would then be under the DIU promotion?

KnightRyder, I don't doubt when you're tell me it true (regarding your bill), but I just don't see why E* would do this since it violates there stated purpose of the DIU program...and there is certainly nothing in the fine print that leads me to believe I'll only be paying $1 more per month and not $6. Do you have a link to any documents that states where I am allowed to make my owned receiver the primary receiver under DIU?

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
I always thought the DIU receiver was automatically placed as the Primary receiver on the customers account although this is not clearly stated in the DIU fine print. In my case, I have a leased 942 and 811 (DHA) and a purchased 622. Since the 942 is primary on the account (under the DHA promotion), it would cost me an additional HD receiver lease fee if I were to replace the 942 with a 622 under DUI. Why would E* allow me to declare my owned 622 as the primary receiver under DHA when it wasn't obtained under the DHA promotion and, more importantly, I would then be under the DIU promotion?

riffjim4069,

Since you didn't lease any of your receivers through DIU, those rules do not, and will not apply to you. You should already be receiving a pass on the lease/extra receiver fee on the 942 under DHA.

riffjim4069 said:
KnightRyder, I don't doubt when you're tell me it true (regarding your bill), but I just don't see why E* would do this since it violates there stated purpose of the DIU program...and there is certainly nothing in the fine print that leads me to believe I'll only be paying $1 more per month and not $6. Do you have a link to any documents that states where I am allowed to make my owned receiver the primary receiver under DIU?

By contract/agreement your first/primary receiver whether owned or under DHA does not carry a lease or extra receiver fee. Dish should not be able circumvent this by forcing a receiver obtained under DIU into the primary slot. The DIU rules should apply only to the receiver(s) obtained under that promotion.

NightRyder

Last edited:
caam1 said:
It will be $1 more than you pay now, because the $6 lease fee will replace the $5 additional receiver fee on the 4000. The DVR fee is waived with HD platinum.

Correct.

NightRyder