Least Expensive Way to Get NFL:ST (HD) from 9/05 to 1/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colebert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
I am a comcast subscriber and always plan to be. But I am also an NFL fan and want to watch all the games possible. I want to avoid paying for D* during the months the season is over and thus save money. What is my best plan of action?

I was thinking that I should buy my own triple-LNB dish and HD receiver w/ card on ebay (looking at a SIR-TS160.) Then calling up and ordering the minimum plan w/o a contract (is this possible??) and getting the ST w/ rider HD package (yes, i know the price....) Then I would cancel the whole plan after the regular season and fall back to my comcast HD and OTA HD for the post-season.

Is this the least expensive way or would it actually work out to be cheaper to get D* for the whole year under contract and save money by getting discounted/free equipment?

Thanks for any enlightenment. I did a search of the D* forum for words like: NFL, minimum, contract, without, w/o but didn't find anything squarely on topic to my question. Sorry if I missed something.

I believe you might even be able to make it easier, and just suspend your account the 7 months or so out of the year that the NFL is not on. You can accomplish that with a simple phonecall. If you get some resistance, tell them you're installing it at your fall home, and you're at your other residence the rest of the year :p.

With any activation of a receiver, there is a commitment attached. When you go about this, raise hell, make your intentions clear, and all else fails talk to a supervisor. You're going to be paying a pretty penny for a limited amount of time, there's no reason this can't be worked out. A suspended account does not break any commitments, only suspends them along with anything else.

Make sure in no uncertain terms each CSR you speak with comments the call that you made sure there is no 1 year commitment on the account.

ive been told by a few csr that you can only suspend your account up to 6 months... i could be wrong though...

you can also theoretically get out of paying the early termination by sending back all the equipment to dtv (its in the fine print)

thanks for the replies!

so even if i buy my own equipment, by activating my card and/or receiver that triggers a 1YR contract? has anyone ever gotten out of getting into a 1YR contract w/o ever having been a customer?

And, is moving the only way an account can be suspended like this?

also, what about teaming up with a current D* subscriber and paying for the NFL:ST and the cost of an extra receiver on their account, then taking it back to my place? Ever been done in the history of the world?

colebert said:
also, what about teaming up with a current D* subscriber and paying for the NFL:ST and the cost of an extra receiver on their account, then taking it back to my place? Ever been done in the history of the world?
Yes, and thats illegal.

You dont have to move to get an account suspended. I think what you're asking for can be done, i'd give them a call, and ask a rep what your options are and go for it. If they tell you that you can suspend it for 7 months, then just have DirecTV provide the equipment and install and everything. When I was working there as I'd have certainly tried to find a way to accomodate you.

Thought max suspend time was 9 months, any longer than that and you get shipped off to CRG. Could be mistaken tho, not very many people that I came across really took advantage of that.

Used equipment can't be used to start a new account. D* requires the "purchase" of new equipment to start a new account, August 1st you will need to sign a 2 YEAR CONTRACT for HDTV equipment. Buy the HDTV equipment now so you can get a 1 YR. contract subscribe to the Sunday Ticket after the season ends downgrade to the Opcion Extra package for $29.99/Mo for the balance of the contract. Terminate at the end of the contract then you should be able to reactivate the equipment again for the next season.

boba said:
Used equipment can't be used to start a new account. D* requires the "purchase" of new equipment to start a new account, August 1st you will need to sign a 2 YEAR CONTRACT for HDTV equipment. Buy the HDTV equipment now so you can get a 1 YR. contract subscribe to the Sunday Ticket after the season ends downgrade to the Opcion Extra package for $29.99/Mo for the balance of the contract. Terminate at the end of the contract then you should be able to reactivate the equipment again for the next season.

1. what is the "option extra" package. i don't see that one listed.

2. so i'm not required to have a contract if i sign up for SD?
2b. if so, then couldn't i sign up for SD w/o contract, buy my own HD box a little later, and switch to that?

Unfortunately, the ticket only package is only for people who are grandfathered with it. I wish I had better news.

ocnier said:
Unfortunately, the ticket only package is only for people who are grandfathered with it. I wish I had better news.

i guess i meant SD as in standard defination so that I only get the SD equipment and therefore only have to contract for 1 year. i know ST is not available w/o contract. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts