Least liked champions in sports history

I'll give him the 'Defense wins championships,' but best ever? Please. The 1985 Bears, the Steelers, and 49ers would destroy them. Hell, the 1984 Dolphins were a better Fins team, IMO!

They would get torched through the air. You can't win a title these days on running alone.

Sabres I'll grant you that the 72 Dolphins were not a flashy team, but teams in their day just did not throw a lot. Lombardi's Packers teams just ran the power sweep all day long. The Browns during the 60's, yes they were good at one time, just gave the ball to Jim Brown and let him run over people. Have you ever seen replays of SB III? Namath may have guaranteed victory but all the Jets did was run the ball, kick field goals and watch the Colts self destruct. So the 72 Dolphins look lame by today's standards, but in their day if you could get through a game by only throwing 6 or 7 passes you were kicking ass. It's kind of like the difference in basketball before the 3 point shot.

Setting rivalries with my hometown teams aside I would have to say the Detroit Pistons of the 80's. Nooooooooobody liked those guys.

...oh and I too am tired of the '72 Dolphins. The fact that some of those guys were publicly rooting against the Patriots last year was selfish, pitiful and pathetic.

..oh and I too am tired of the '72 Dolphins. The fact that some of those guys were publicly rooting against the Patriots last year was selfish, pitiful and pathetic.

Why??!! ANY athlete that has set records would LOVE their records to last forever or atleast until they are dead and barried. ANY athlete who says some PC bull**** about "I wouldn't mind if he/she/they would break our/my record..." has no more competitive balls and they are just looking to be in the limelight again if only to spew that PC crap. IF my Raiders had done something like that, I sure as sh** would EXCEPT they would want their undefeated record to last forever....

In high school, I had 2 records as a baseball player that lasted almsot 15 years....The kid that broke, I was happy for him....but damn well wanted only my blood to break it....and even then....I would be lying if I didn't want it to last forever.

By the way, my record WAS for for 13 straight hits...it was broken by the son of a very good friend of mine...he had 16.

In high school, I had 2 records as a baseball player that lasted almsot 15 years....The kid that broke, I was happy for him....but damn well wanted only my blood to break it....and even then....I would be lying if I didn't want it to last forever.
Don't worry Salsa...I'm sure some other kid will spend more years playing 10th grade baseball than you or the young man who broke your record.:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!:eek:

are you calling someone or some team classless because they don't want their record broken?

No, you're puting words into my mouth. I'm saying it doesn't show a lot of class to publicly root against someone who might break your record. Take a look at the Barry Bonds HR record. IMO Hank Aaron handled that situation with a lot of class.

No, you're puting words into my mouth. I'm saying it doesn't show a lot of class to publicly root against someone who might break your record. Take a look at the Barry Bonds HR record. IMO Hank Aaron handled that situation with a lot of class.

Hank Aaron is a different kind of ball player. VERY few ball players will EVER BE like Hank Aaron.....ever! Again, I can understand they were a little arrogant about how they presented themselves....but still, I would still do the same. Records were made to be broken, but I want my records to last.

Good analysis of each rivalry Brainfry. :up

I love when they realigned the AFC North to pair these 4 teams together. I can't think of another division in the league that features such local and significant rivalries among eachother....

NFC North. Packers, Bears, Vikings, and even the Lions.:) Packers and Bears go back to the start of the NFL. Packers fans in Western part of Wisconsin hate the Vikings because they're in the Twin Cities TV market and see the Vikings instead of the Packers. The Lions are easy to hate because even though they haven't been good lately, they still might kick your ass on Thanksgiving.

I remember a former Bears player talking about his first trip to Green Bay. On the way there they saw a couple kids hitting something with a bat hanging from a clothes line. As they got closer, they could see it was a stuffed bear. He said he knew it was a serious rivalry after that.

Why did Favre want to go to the Vikings so much?

In his heart he wanted to stay away from professional football.

First,

let me just say this will be a long thread, but it's worth all the reading and words.

Anyway,

Who were some of the least liked champions in sports history?

By that, I mean teams that were either loathed/hated by many or dull, boring, and uninteresting to many.

Some of it's personal, some of it is from reading information.

Here are my choices:

1990 New York Giants: While the reigning SB champs had the feel of an underdog and a lot of people rooting for them and the 1986 team was a wrecking crew of a team that left fans in awe, I could not say the same about the 1990 team.

I know they had a fierce defense and played an all-time classic SB against the Bills, but IMO, they felt like an 9-7 team disguised as a 13-3 team.

Spurs- pick a year, any year. Nobody was watching most of their series- the ratings were awful. Tim Duncan is like ratings poison- when he plays in June, the ratings are on par with New York Islanders games, and that's NOT a good thing.

1997 Marlins- The 2003 team, like the '07 Giants, had that feel of a team many people could root for. Also, unlike the 1997 team, they kept their key players for at least a few more years.

While the '03 team could be cheered by many because they went against the almighty Yankees, I doubt many people wanted to see a team a few years old win a title. Oh, yeah, and they beat Cleveland- like I could root for a team of players that seemed like they wouldn't stick around for a while.

(If anyone brings up the D-Backs of 2001, big difference. That team had been building for a few years- this Marlins team was put together on the fly.)

1995 Cowboys- This falls under the 'team many love to hate/couldn't stand' category. This isn't personal, but more from a 'I remember what others said' view. Jimmy Johnson's two SB teams were a silent winning machine that had a bit of attitude, but not all the time. They talked big, but not gigantically big.

Barry Switzer's team, OTOH- talk about attitude! Big mouths, big money, flashy players, glitz, glamour, on TV all the time (and that's just the commercials!) and a confidence that bordered on cockiness.

Remember the signing of Deion Sanders? It was viewed like "the Whopper going to McDonald's."

Here are some quotes that sum up how many people felt about this version of the Boys. These are from actual newspaper articles, not my personal thoughts:

"These Cowboys simply have too many good players, too much bad money and too little taste."

"their fans are smug and insufferable."

"their cutesy pie, dancing, prancing receivers and especially their too-rich-for his-own-good, gazillionaire owner Jerry Jones.

What person in their right mind would pay Deion Sanders $35 million to play football?"

"it's their fans who really drive me over the edge.
I work with a couple of them. They gather at water fountains, in hallways on Monday mornings whooping it up about how the Cowboys walloped some unworthy opponent.
They hug and yap it up about victories like little girls talking about their first kiss."

"The Cowboys, and Jerry Jones in particular, need to learn that money can't buy happiness, money can't buy friends and money can't buy Super Bowl titles."

"How do we loathe thee - thee being those stinkin' Dallas Cowboys?

How about for their smug, superior, we're-the-Cowboys-and-you're-not attitude? Make you want to slap somebody?"

I'll conclude this thread with how Michael Irvin views a trip to the SB:

"The way Irvin sees it, the Cowboys going to the Super Bowl is the Cowboys going home.

``It`s our house. Last year we just let somebody borrow it,`` he says. ``Now we`re going to go check it out, see how it was left, see if it`s dirty . . . and then take it over again. We`re going home.``

Well, that was long.

Anyway,

feel free to react and give your choices.
well that's two shot you have taken at the Giants. Ok so you don't like the Giants.
The Marlins? Who hated them? C'mon....
Dallas? Ok you have a point.
How about the Yankees. Anyone who isn't a Yankee fan hates that team and the owner.
I have to believe that most hockey fans outside of the Phila metro area have historically hated the Flyers.
On eo fthe most hated teams in a single year had to be the 1986 Mets.
They beat everybody and did it with swagger. Some accused the team of being arrogant. Other players hated the Home rune curtian calls. They hated Gary Carter because he smiled all the time.. We as Mets fans took the criticism in stride.. Most of us shot back with stuff like "Hey look at the scoreboard" Or "have you seen the stadings lately"...Yes the '86 Mets. Heck Ozzie Smith refered to the Mets as "pond scum". And his subsequent visit to Shea was most unpleasant for Smith. In fact , the Mets swept the Cards. St. Louis Pitcher John Tudor accused the Mets players of "rubbing it in". . Yes, while the others hated, The Mets just won ballgames...

well that's two shot you have taken at the Giants. Ok so you don't like the Giants.
The Marlins? Who hated them? C'mon....
Dallas? Ok you have a point.
How about the Yankees. Anyone who isn't a Yankee fan hates that team and the owner.
I have to believe that most hockey fans outside of the Phila metro area have historically hated the Flyers.

He does. NOBODY hated the Marlins accept the obivous culprits....the teams and the fans that lost to the Marlins in those respected order. Everyone hated what was done to the Marlins teams...but lets be honest....if YOUR team was stripped TWICE in a 10 year span of it's winning team and sold off to the point where they could not even defedn being World Champions...wouldn't YOU be hesistant to show up?:rolleyes: