Leaving Cablevision for Direct TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martin2579

Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
New Jersey
Hey all,

I am hoping that I dont get blasted for this but I am scheduled to have Direct TV come to my house on 1/7/12 for installation. I am a long time Cablevision customer and am very nervous about the switch. Have any of youn the board switched from Cable Vision? What has your experiance been? Do you regret the move? I am worried about service interruption with bad weather. Please share your experiances with me.

Thanks so much ,
Martin

I won't lie to you. Severe thunderstorms can knock out your reception, but this is short lived (no more than 10 minutes in my experience).
A very well aligned dish can help reduce the length of time.

The other way is with snow build up on the dish, usually the heavy wet stuff. Therefore, have the dish installed where you can get to it for clearing.

I agree and if you look at the posted stats over the years, rain fade is much less versus the cumulative outages many cable systems have. You can also buy covers that limit almost all snow build-up physically on the dish. Strategic placement can help too. YMMV

Given the fact "something" has already led to you want to move AND with all that DirecTV offers; you are NOT making a bad move at all.

Hey all,

I am hoping that I dont get blasted for this but I am scheduled to have Direct TV come to my house on 1/7/12 for installation. I am a long time Cablevision customer and am very nervous about the switch. Have any of youn the board switched from Cable Vision? What has your experiance been? Do you regret the move? I am worried about service interruption with bad weather. Please share your experiances with me.

Thanks so much ,
Martin

I don't have past experience with Cablevision but you're making a good decision here. If you're a sports fan, you picked the right provider.

I'm in Dallas and we have some heavy rain storms at times. I do experience rain fade but even with a non-optomized dish, the durations don't last long. I need to get D* out for an alignment peak soon but I rarely have the fade's as it is at present.

xm2xit.jpg
to all here. You guys have helped me out this past year with great info. A special
2r7nfdh.jpg
to Scott for his help with a recent technical forum issue that I had recently.

I think you're making a good decision. I was a previous DTV customer from 2007-2010. I switched to local cable provider and while I didn't have many problems, I was unhappy with their outdated software/hardware. I ended up switching back to DTV in December 2011 and got the HR34 with two H25s. I am loving service so far, the new HD guide is great. i live in Florida and we get a lot of storms, but it takes something pretty severe to knock out reception. Check your PM!

Direct is my favorite the only thing that it lacks is 3d vod channels like comcast has meaning hbo 3d and stars 3d.

As others have pointed out, if the dish is properly installed it's going to take some very severe weather to kill the signal and even at that it won't be for long. I can't think of much you'll be losing besides News12 with the move and if you're a sports fan you'll be in heaven.

I had Cablevision and went with Dish. I don't regret it one bit. I might now actually switch to D* and that HR34. I don't know how your Cablevision equipment is, but when I had it, it was very slow and cumbersome. Channel surfing was painfully slow, and the DVR sucked. Your making the right move, and wont miss Cablevision one bit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts