Leaving Dish

Bearsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
After 21 years and 5 months finally leaving.

Love the service and equipment, but too costly now.
Also rarely watch now, nor anyone else in home.
Only regret is what is on the DVRs.
Will likely get Discovery Plus for $7/month

I have called the last few years and they offered me no discounts unless I upgraded to Hopper.
I explained that if they offered a good deal years ago maybe I would have stayed.
Plus the cost of living is getting out of control.
That $ can be better used IMO.

Finally figured out an antenna, and placement, that gets locals well too. :)

Current bill; AT250, VIP 722 & VIP612 w/locals.
$149.45
AT250 w locals - 124.99
Equipment - - - - - 17.00
Taxes / fees - - - - - 7.46

They did not want any equipment back fwiw.

They offered the "preferred customer deal." Total for above at $128 including tax for 2 year commit, that is good for three years. Three year guarantee is new to me.
Not doing any commitment.
I said no. Then offered $50 monthly credit for one year on top of above offer.
That would have got bill down around $80. o_O I said if they offered that a year or two ago I may not be cancelling today.

Been a great run. Thanks for all the help over the years. Love this site too.

Take care.

Anyone need equipment parts? Have DPP spilt arc, single lnb for 61.5, dual for 110 & 119?
And of course the boxes.

Bearsat

I spent a couple years at GMU too, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth in early '80's.
Back when almost anyone could afford the school.
Goggle says 15k students then. Now 36,000 students. Oh my. I would have thought much less when I was there.

So no emojis on replies? ? ? weird.

So there is quite a few active users here from NoVa.
Interesting.
But, no one literally right around the corner from me.
That is probably good. lol.

1; Franconia/Kingstowne (me /Bearsat)
2; Annandale (TheKrell)
3; North Annandale / Falls Church (Peter Parker)
4; Fairfax (navychop)

Fwiw, 3 minutes after I cancelled my service, it was cut off. haha
Wish they were that fast with reset/reboot flashes and whatnot.

fmj77
I'll bet few understand. Have roots from TN, so get the hollars reference.

Peter Parker
Always loved that Georgian estate on the west side of SHR up the hill. Have they sold out yet, and now 200 townhomes exist?
Haven't been up that road in decades.
Brother used to rent an awesome brick colonial on the east side a 1/2 mile or so south of Seven Corners.
I played tennis tournaments there at the pool, in valley, back in the late 70's. Oh my, . . memories, or trauma, not sure at this point. lol.

After 21 years and 5 months finally leaving.

Love the service and equipment, but too costly now.
Also rarely watch now, nor anyone else in home.
Only regret is what is on the DVRs.
Will likely get Discovery Plus for $7/month

I have called the last few years and they offered me no discounts unless I upgraded to Hopper.
I explained that if they offered a good deal years ago maybe I would have stayed.
Plus the cost of living is getting out of control.
That $ can be better used IMO.

Finally figured out an antenna, and placement, that gets locals well too. :)

Current bill; AT250, VIP 722 & VIP612 w/locals.
$149.45
AT250 w locals - 124.99
Equipment - - - - - 17.00
Taxes / fees - - - - - 7.46

They did not want any equipment back fwiw.

They offered the "preferred customer deal." Total for above at $128 including tax for 2 year commit, that is good for three years. Three year guarantee is new to me.
Not doing any commitment.
I said no. Then offered $50 monthly credit for one year on top of above offer.
That would have got bill down around $80. o_O I said if they offered that a year or two ago I may not be cancelling today.

Been a great run. Thanks for all the help over the years. Love this site too.

Take care.

Anyone need equipment parts? Have DPP spilt arc, single lnb for 61.5, dual for 110 & 119?
And of course the boxes.

Bearsat
Come Nov, when my senior citizen deal is over, I want to keep Dish as I want a few channels and locals I cannot get OTA and maybe the Super Stations, if they allow me to keep them. There is the basic International Pak for $15, add locals, up to $27, and Supers $34. I stream so much these days and watch very little on Dish. I have gotten a deal for several years, about $30 a month off a month, but still at $112, is too much to keep paying for programming I don't watch. Come Nov it will go up again. I do not blame Dish, as the programmers charge too much for the programming. I read in 2015 there were about 100 million cable/satellite subs. Today 61 Million and dropping. People still like the programming, but it is the cost.

Come Nov, when my senior citizen deal is over, I want to keep Dish as I want a few channels and locals I cannot get OTA and maybe the Super Stations, if they allow me to keep them. There is the basic International Pak for $15, add locals, up to $27, and Supers $34. I stream so much these days and watch very little on Dish. I have gotten a deal for several years, about $30 a month off a month, but still at $112, is too much to keep paying for programming I don't watch. Come Nov it will go up again. I do not blame Dish, as the programmers charge too much for the programming. I read in 2015 there were about 100 million cable/satellite subs. Today 61 Million and dropping. People still like the programming, but it is the cost.
Try calling now. You at least will have an idea, but I would guess they would offer you at least the exact same as you have now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Happy trails. I've found enough programming through the new rooftop antenna to keep my wife placated, along with various low-end streaming services. Even our Welcome Pack is too expensive for us, considering how little we watch. We are on pause until exhausting our (meager) DVR content. Which we may not manage. Since having gone on pause, we only booted up the 211k once.