LED TV in unheated room

How COLD is COLD? You should be fine down to at least 40 degrees.

If it actually goes to freezing (32f) for very long, you'll learn a new term: "The popcorn effect".

The ic chips can actually get frozen, and if turned on and heated too quickly, they can POP and fry.

The ic chips can actually get frozen, and if turned on and heated too quickly, they can POP and fry.
Uh, you read that on the internet?

I use ICs extensively in aerospace. Our spec is that we turn on down to -30c and warm to operating temp without external heating or cooling. Modern ICs pretty much meet this spec. I'd worry more about the display panel as we pay handsomely to purchase displays that meet the -30c spec.

StarScan, look at the extended specs on what you are contemplating. Here is what I could find amongst a bunch of mis-information
Samsung warns against storing LCD televisions at temperature below -20 degrees centigrade (-4 Fahrenheit) or above 45 degrees (113 Fahrenheit).
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/s...upport&keyword=will+cold+weather+affect+my+TV

I have a LCD TV in my Hot tub room (outside attached porch basically).
On cold days it gets down to the mid 20's before I turn the heater on .... turn TV on, no problem at all.

Reactions: NAC
Condensation of moisture inside of the TV within the high voltage circuits may be a problem if the area is cold for a long time and then relatively quickly heated up.

Uh, you read that on the internet?

Samsung warns against storing LCD televisions at temperature below -20 degrees centigrade (-4 Fahrenheit) or above 45 degrees (113 Fahrenheit).
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/s...upport&keyword=will+cold+weather+affect+my+TV

That's what Samsung suggest for storing TV's. Operating range suggested is 50 F to 104 F. Anything below freezing can cause problems, judging from my experience, especially if it's a damp environment. Of course not all TVs and semiconductors are created equal, a lot of it depends on the manufacturer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)