Left DISH in 07, Looking to Come Back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ira Lacher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I was a DISH sub from 1997 until September 2007, when I left for DirecTV. In comparing the two providers today, and considering what programming I am interested in, DISH seems like the better value. (I can watch MLB online, and I would be satisfied with NFL RedZone as opposed to paying $400 for NFL-ST.)

However, I remember a few things I didn't like about DISH from a few years ago: customer service, schlocky EPG, inconsistent PQ, constant carriage issues, to name a few.

I trust the knowledgeable DISH Network subs who inhabit this forum! So can you give me your impressions over how DISH has changed, either for the better or worse, over the last couple of years? And especially if anyone here switched from DirecTV to DISH and regrets it? Thanks.

Customer Service has improved greatly.

The EPG is the EPG that hasnt changed.

The PQ is steady as far as I can tell.

DirecTV seems to be having more carriage issues lately then Dish, but we are watching one between Dish and RFD-TV.

I had Directv from 1999 till Sept 2009. In sept. 2009, I switched to Dish Network.

Here is what I noticed:

- Dish has more HD Channels by Far.
- PG seems better on Dish then what I had on Directv.
- Dish Receivers run so much faster and better, than mine did with Directv.
- Dish EPG is not as nice as Directv, but the performance of the Dish Receivers out weighs that.
- Directv Customer Service seemed a little bit better, but I have heard reports that they were getting worse lately.

Oh yeah! DISH is better than Directv on receivers, programming price, and of course more national cable hd channels-except for Sports. But now when we talk about additional duo tuner dvrs, then DIRECTV wins on that price at $5.00 vs $17.00 for DISH.

I also am considering a move back to Dish. The SonicTap does not appear to be something I care to live with. I am an MLB fan and I'm going to test drive the MLB.TV on ROKU solution to see if that will be permanent.

The biggest stumbling block for me is equipment. I currently lease 4 HD DVRS and own 2 HD DVRS for 6 HD sets. I'm not going to be able to get HD DVRS on all TVs cheaply from Dish and, since I'm leasing most of my gear from DirecTV, I can't make it up selling my old stuff. Additionally, if I decide I made a mistake and want to go back to DirecTV, it will cost me dearly to get the equipment I've accustomed to once again.

I'm guessing a 622 for each room would be in order. What would that set me back for 6 of those on my account with the new pricing structure?

Bummer. Those EQ fees add up too quickly for me. I hope they reverse course on that someday. It would be about $40/month more plus the outlay for EQ just to switch. I think I'll just survive with FM radio.

"For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money. "

Last edited:
I'm guessing a 622 for each room would be in order. What would that set me back for 6 of those on my account with the new pricing structure?

Have you looked into getting 612s instead? Those are only $10/month EQ versus $17/month for the 622s Sounds like you'd be using the 622s in single mode anyway.

You lose PIP (and one other thing I can't think of at the moment) with the 612; but, if you only need to feed one TV with each box, that'd be your best bet.

Can you record a program while watching something else with a 612? I assumed the middle number was the amount of tuners...maybe I'm wrong.

Yes. The 612 has multiple tuners but only outputs to one TV. I don't have all the details beyond that, but I'm sure if you search the forum you'll turn up all the info you need about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)