Legal dish outside US?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

weston87

Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Border Tx
hey everyone this is my first post here, and i have a question, im currently a dish network customer and i am using my equipment outside the US, is it illegal? i am a pay in advance user i pay 90 dlls a month and also use a US billing address and US credit card but my job i had to move south to mexico and brought my equipment with, and i would like to know if i could connect my DVR to broadband internet? or will dish automaticlly cancel my reciever with a mexican IP?
Thank you

DISH has "movers" all over the country who say they live somewhere to be able to get a city of locals they want. I do it and so do many others. DISH overlooks all of this as long as you don't tell them what you are really doing. The law governing this says that it is illegal for a satellite company to KNOWINGLY sell you out of area locals. So don't tell them what you are really doing and they won't ask.

You really don't have to worry about Dish. But you might have to worry about the law. I don't know about Mexico, but in Canada, Dish and DirectTV aren't allowed and law enforcement officials will remove Dish and DirectTV equipment.

You may find signal strength lacking if you go much further south than chilango-ville. Be prepared to buy a larger dish. When I was in AGS I needed a 4.5 meter C band dish and a 21 degree LNB... but that was then and you are dealing with now.

You really don't have to worry about Dish. But you might have to worry about the law. I don't know about Mexico, but in Canada, Dish and DirectTV aren't allowed and law enforcement officials will remove Dish and DirectTV equipment.
BS ... I'd like a 'law enforcement official' to try and remove equipment from my residence. There is a law which states that is illegal to sub to dish or direct in Canada, however, they have NEVER charged an end user. No way it would hold up in court and they don't want the law tested. Not that I'm in Canada... just sayin' ;)

As far as I know there is no US law proventing you from subscribing to Canadian Satellite services here in the US. But it IS illegal for our Friends up north to subscribe to American satellite service.

Personally I think the law is dumb, if a signal is coming on my property it is available for purchase then I should be able to order it. If they dont want me watching then keep your signal off my lawn. :)

I should note for a matter of record that I indeed use to subscribe to Expressvu (now Bell TV) but no longer do.

Technically, yes, illegal. There is a law. They've charged brokers and companies but never an end user. They use scare tactics and hope that people don't challenge it. I'd relish the chance to take it court. My "turbo" dish is clearly visible from the street. The idea of the TV police seizing my equipment is unfounded. No wonder y'all think we're a bunch of commies... lol...

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no US law proventing you from subscribing to Canadian Satellite services here in the US. But it IS illegal for our Friends up north to subscribe to American satellite service.

Personally I think the law is dumb, if a signal is coming on my property it is available for purchase then I should be able to order it. If they dont want me watching then keep your signal off my lawn. :)

I should note for a matter of record that I indeed use to subscribe to Expressvu (now Bell TV) but no longer do.

That's what the hackers used to say. :)

Canadian law is quite different from US law when it comes to "rights." What we may consider our Constitutional Right may be something they consider quite properly regulated by their government. And it's been posted here that Dish and DirecTV dishes can be used for other purposes in Canada, so it's not as simple as see and remove. I've never heard of an individual in Canada charged over this. But they do want to limit US cultural influences to maintain their own identity. Go for it.

Think of that TV licensing scheme in the UK. Over here, no one could conceive of such a thing. I believe it would literally lead to bloodshed. But they do it. And they know from their own studies that if they abolished it, their economy would be stronger and they would gain more in tax revenue than they would lose. But still they keep it. Dumb as us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts