Legal to physucally take my Box/Receiver to my vacation locality?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Is it "legal" to take my box / dish to weekend retreat?
I have a weekend house I use 6-8 weekends each year. Does anyone know if the Dish agreement allows me to physically taken my box/receiver to use on one of my weekend trips to my vacation home? In this scenario I'd mount a permanent dish at the weekend house, but transport the receiver/box back and forth.

Thoughts?

Brad

Technically its agesnt DISH Networks Policy, however you can take a receiver to your vacation home for a weekend without an issue.

The problem that DISH Network has with this is because people are too lazy to disconnect the receivers and take them with them when they go to their other home and would prefer to leave them at the 2nd home all year long, at which point requires a 2nd account.

If your using 1 physical home at any given time then taking a receiver back and fourth is not an issue. Its only when both homes are using the equipment from 1 account it becomes an issue.

This is the offical policy from Dish Network as of February, it's pretty cut and dry:

·Second location/vacation homes policy

> Customers who have a Vacation Home or Second Fixed Location can set up an account to receive DISH Network services

> Customers will NOT be allowed to share receivers between their primary residence and any other fixed location on a single account

> The customer will be required to create a separate account for the Second Fixed location/Vacation Home. This account will be allowed unlimited seasonal downgrades or service on this account

RobertsD said:
You should be fine, as long as you don't leave the reciever there when you return home

Or plug into a phone while you are there....:)

Many Dish users do this, legal or not, allowed by Dish or not. Many like me also take a couple of receivers with us to receive Dish in our RV while camping.

Dish has gained many subscribers because of the ability to do this as this is something not possible with cable.

This real issue is when you pay for 6 receivers at your primary residence and actully only have 3 with the others at your 2nd home or a neighbors house.

Claude Greiner said:
BTW, the chances of the Audit Natzis calling you to do a location ID check for the 3 days your on vacation aint gonna happen!
And of course if they were to call during those three days you would not be home to answer the phone.:rolleyes:

I can remember a few years back on a Charlie Chat that Charlie commented that he did this himself with his vacation home.

this is where voip should benefit, take your voip box with you and your receiver will *phone home* dish will still think you're at your billing location. nothing changes as far as they are concerned.

I was also wondering if the Location ID was GPS based?

Last edited:
vacation home

They don't want you to take a rec. to your vacation home, but now they are talking about dealers selling slingbox. How is this different? Service at 2 locations but 1 account. What are they thinking?:confused:

If you carry your STB to another location, you only need LOS. With Slingbox, you'll need a comm line.

I wonder if Dish Network will offer their service through a slingbox if someone cannot get service due to LOS? Maybe Dish Network will tell people that if they want to view at a vacation home that they will have to use a slingbox. The thing is a lot of people's vacation homes or cabins would not have broadband internet.

:wave on this one i am for dishnetworks policy you set up a second account your only paying for the time your at your vacation home and you don't have to worry about bring or leaving boxes if your there for a week you pay for a week the rest of the time its shut off! no fees during the off time! this is a good deal i think and they are just going to get worse on the audits the distant networks are really got them right now checking every account! I'm a full time rv'r and go through a thrall audit every couple of years. this year was the worst the auditor i got was rude and shut my service off completely because i failed her test i called back after blowing up at this auditor and was told she was totally wrong and they turned my service back on they apologized a million times and gave me a credit on my next bill i have never ever had any problem with anyone at dishnetwork before this

OK, so you set up a 2nd account for the vacation home. That makes Dish happy.

You have no hardline phone at the vacation home because you use your cellphone on weekends but because you transport your 622 back and forth, you're either not going to be home when audit calls or if you are, the 622 will be with you.

The big questions (that nobody's asking here) are:
1. If the "vacation home" is in the neighboring DMA, can that 622 be allowed LiLs from that DMA while on "vacation"?

2. If you're willing to pay for the programing at the 2nd account every month (don't turn it on and off as you go back and forth), could the 622 legally receive LiLs from 2 DMAs as long as you only watch the appropiate DMA's LiLs while there?:)

When I signed up, one of the reasons was to take my Dish with me in my RV when we went on vacation. Carried a 301 back and forth. Did that a few years, haven't for the last couple for various reasons. I'm not sure if that's still "proper" by Dish or not, but it was a big reason I went to satellite. I might do it again for a weekend or 1-2 week trip. But I'd have to carry the 508.

KyDave said:
I can remember a few years back on a Charlie Chat that Charlie commented that he did this himself with his vacation home.

He did. Dish policy on this is dependant on who you ask. I'll continue to take my receiver on vacation, the Audit Nazis can go F*ck themselves.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)