Leno is gone, who replaces Letterman when the time comes? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Jon Stuart and Steven Colbert are "tarnished goods" They have political baggage unless CBS is wanting to change their audience from MOR. Stern is too divisive IMHO. Kimmel already has a late night slot that is getting better ratings (where it counts) than Letterman. ABC won't let him go easily. NPH would be fun. But my guess is it will be someone we are unfamiliar with as of this moment.

77TA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 27, 2013
Arkansas
I think either Craig Ferguson or Conan would be great but are unlikely to get the offer. I don’t think Jimmy Kimmel would be interested in making a move or that ABC would let him leave. Chelsea Handler would not interest me in the least but I think Amy Schumer would be awesome if she could clean things up enough for network tv.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
This might be my chauvinism showing through, but I can't see a woman, any woman, getting and holding a show in that time slot on broadcast TV. The last one that had a legitimate shot was Joan Rivers back in the 80s and we all know what happened to her short-lived late-night show.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
"The Wrap Up Show" on Howard Stearn Friday had some good points to consider, they figure whoever comes in will be under 40 for sure, Chelsea was about the only Female they gave a chance and they brought up the names being tossed around by the media ... Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert etc ...

Don in CT

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 4, 2013
Central CT

Geronimo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I doubt that CBS is locked in to getting the programming from WWP.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
If CBS does not own the show they will simply come up with a new name for a show at that time slot and will own the rights.

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
Letterman owns the show, but not the name "Late Show". The full story is that Carson got a deal in the 70s by thretening to go to ABC that game him ownership of his show and the right to produce the 12:30 show under the name "Carson Productions". The 12:30 show was Letterman 's Late Night. When Carson retired, Letterman was already making many times what Leno wanted, and expected the same deal relative to a 12:30 slot. NBC, which at the time had a big plan to start a cable/sat channel for the rest of the world took Leno, who worked for far less and who took no ownership in the show.

Letterman got the same deal Carson had from CBS. He, via his oddly named Worldwide Pants, owns the show and the show that follows, with CBS obligated to carry whatever he produced at 12:30.

However when he retires the deal is up. The name "Late Show" is copyright by CBS and it can produce the show as it wants.

Don in CT

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 4, 2013
Central CT
Letterman owns the show, but not the name "Late Show". The full story is that Carson got a deal in the 70s by thretening to go to ABC that game him ownership of his show and the right to produce the 12:30 show under the name "Carson Productions". The 12:30 show was Letterman 's Late Night. When Carson retired, Letterman was already making many times what Leno wanted, and expected the same deal relative to a 12:30 slot. NBC, which at the time had a big plan to start a cable/sat channel for the rest of the world took Leno, who worked for far less and who took no ownership in the show.

Letterman got the same deal Carson had from CBS. He, via his oddly named Worldwide Pants, owns the show and the show that follows, with CBS obligated to carry whatever he produced at 12:30.

However when he retires the deal is up. The name "Late Show" is copyright by CBS and it can produce the show as it wants.
Now what happens to the Late Late Show, will WWP continue to co-produce or will CBS run it outright.

Since CBS owns the Ed Sullivan theatre I assume they will keep what ever replaces Dave there. Lets say that Ferguson does get the show will he move to NY?

Here is a name I have not heard mentioned but would be a great fit, Ricky Gervais.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts