Leno is gone, who replaces Letterman when the time comes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Jon Stuart and Steven Colbert are "tarnished goods" They have political baggage unless CBS is wanting to change their audience from MOR. Stern is too divisive IMHO. Kimmel already has a late night slot that is getting better ratings (where it counts) than Letterman. ABC won't let him go easily. NPH would be fun. But my guess is it will be someone we are unfamiliar with as of this moment.

Also rumors that Chelsea Handler might be in the mix, she is leaving E! at the end of the year.

I think either Craig Ferguson or Conan would be great but are unlikely to get the offer. I don’t think Jimmy Kimmel would be interested in making a move or that ABC would let him leave. Chelsea Handler would not interest me in the least but I think Amy Schumer would be awesome if she could clean things up enough for network tv.

This might be my chauvinism showing through, but I can't see a woman, any woman, getting and holding a show in that time slot on broadcast TV. The last one that had a legitimate shot was Joan Rivers back in the 80s and we all know what happened to her short-lived late-night show.

Unless WorldWide Pants gives up ownership of the show, will Letterman get to hand pick his successor?

"The Wrap Up Show" on Howard Stearn Friday had some good points to consider, they figure whoever comes in will be under 40 for sure, Chelsea was about the only Female they gave a chance and they brought up the names being tossed around by the media ... Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert etc ...

I doubt that CBS is locked in to getting the programming from WWP.

If CBS does not own the show they will simply come up with a new name for a show at that time slot and will own the rights.

Letterman owns the show, but not the name "Late Show". The full story is that Carson got a deal in the 70s by thretening to go to ABC that game him ownership of his show and the right to produce the 12:30 show under the name "Carson Productions". The 12:30 show was Letterman 's Late Night. When Carson retired, Letterman was already making many times what Leno wanted, and expected the same deal relative to a 12:30 slot. NBC, which at the time had a big plan to start a cable/sat channel for the rest of the world took Leno, who worked for far less and who took no ownership in the show.

Letterman got the same deal Carson had from CBS. He, via his oddly named Worldwide Pants, owns the show and the show that follows, with CBS obligated to carry whatever he produced at 12:30.

However when he retires the deal is up. The name "Late Show" is copyright by CBS and it can produce the show as it wants.

Letterman owns the show, but not the name "Late Show". The full story is that Carson got a deal in the 70s by thretening to go to ABC that game him ownership of his show and the right to produce the 12:30 show under the name "Carson Productions". The 12:30 show was Letterman 's Late Night. When Carson retired, Letterman was already making many times what Leno wanted, and expected the same deal relative to a 12:30 slot. NBC, which at the time had a big plan to start a cable/sat channel for the rest of the world took Leno, who worked for far less and who took no ownership in the show.

Letterman got the same deal Carson had from CBS. He, via his oddly named Worldwide Pants, owns the show and the show that follows, with CBS obligated to carry whatever he produced at 12:30.

However when he retires the deal is up. The name "Late Show" is copyright by CBS and it can produce the show as it wants.
Now what happens to the Late Late Show, will WWP continue to co-produce or will CBS run it outright.

Since CBS owns the Ed Sullivan theatre I assume they will keep what ever replaces Dave there. Lets say that Ferguson does get the show will he move to NY?

Here is a name I have not heard mentioned but would be a great fit, Ricky Gervais.

California is pushing to get them to move there (which I support) too many east coast centric late night shows on the networks now... (Kimmel is the only one from LA)
Conan is still out there too. Not that anyone watches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)