Leo Laport makes mistake on Call For Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Someone called in today and had a question on some FTA receivers (mostly from digiwave) Leo got it right but was implying that everything there was cband! :shocked He didn't go though the entire site as he should have looked up there's a big difference between ku and c.

I'm going to send a email off to him because if people start to rush to by receivers thinking they'll get a full cband it might not look so good.

In your email to him tell him to pop by here, tell Leo I miss him. :D

attachment.php

mdovell said:
Someone called in today and had a question on some FTA receivers (mostly from digiwave) Leo got it right but was implying that everything there was cband! :shocked He didn't go though the entire site as he should have looked up there's a big difference between ku and c.

I'm going to send a email off to him because if people start to rush to by receivers thinking they'll get a full cband it might not look so good.
Was that on this morning's show? I'll have to check the Tivo.

He may be thinking c-band as that's where G4/TechTV is FTA.

Shawn

I wish they would air "Screen Saver" reruns in the wee hours of the morning when nobody is watching anyway. Then again, I wish they would run them at primetime! :D

questic said:
I wish they would air "Screen Saver" reruns in the wee hours of the morning when nobody is watching anyway. Then again, I wish they would run them at primetime! :D
That's the 'Call For Help' timeslot :).

At lunch I checked the Tivo and sure enough it was this morning's episode. Basicly the caller was confused as to what exactly he'd be able to recieve and described connecting the box to the PC when it 'goes down'.

It was hard to tell if the caller was specifically asking about hacking or if he was genuinely confused.

Shawn

I remember when someone called in and asked about FTA and they asked if it was legal and what could be picked up. He did not answer that question correctly. I cannot remember if it is the same question that you are talking about or not though.

Perhaps you can interview him for your monthly show sometime. Television is coming to cell phones. I predict that someday we may receive a lot of shows on our cell phones and then connect them up to our tv wherever we go. It may be a while before it goes that far though. It would probably use wireless high speed internet to achieve this.

mdovell said:

It's Leo Laporte ;)

I remember back in the day when I first saw the channel pop up on FTA CBand Analog. ZDTV!! That's when the channel was awesome! G4 bought the thing I've stopped watching 100%.

Where is Leo on now? I can't stand the G4 channel and I thought he was off that station.

Anyway when Call For Help was on C-Band and was TechTV (or what ever it was called back in 1999) I hosted our departmental Christmas party at my house. (We work in the PC and Networking department.) Some of the guests were enjoying playing around with my C-Band system and stopped on TechTV. I was in the other room with some guest that were not interested TV when a collective NO!!! went up. I simply called out "Did Leo get something wrong?" Sure enough in the opinion of ten Ubergeeks he got it wrong.

He was off of that station but there is a TechTv in Canada in which has Call For Help and he hosts that show. They started airing the show from earlier in the year on G4 recently.

When I watch it now I see only a handful of things...cinematech is ok...so is xplay...but much of the other content is pretty boring. Heck I like video games and all but I spend far more time on the pc than games.

Just to note Kevin Rose left and does his own thing now on video on the net...

Personally I don't like when things cross the line of a concent producer being owned by a distributor. I've heard some nasty things about Time Warner PVRs actually deleting say the Sopranos after a few weeks because it was cutting into dvd sales :mad: But since they own HBO, own the cable provider and own the pvr's there's not much people can do about it.

It is good for the gamers but not so good for those that content related more directly on computers.

Kevin Rose knows the future of television is IPTV. He will have a video library full of shows by the time it hits the bigtime.

What on earth has happened to that channel anyway?

When it was ZDTV, it was great.

When it turned into TechTV, it was worse, but still OK.

When it became G4TechTV, the worthiness of watching it became questionable.

Now that it is G4, I usually skip right past it.

Aint tv supposed to get better and better? Not worse and worse? Does anybody else think that tv has gone downhill altogether? Does anybody else think that there used to be better content on a handful of channels than dozens of channels now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts