Less than 24 hours in Already starting off on wrong foot....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daisbrown

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Had direct less than 24 hours and already have problems......
I signed up last week and was suppose to get the HD DVR unit and HD unit with the "HD DVR plus" plan. As for "specials" I just got the HD DVR for $99. $50 credit for refer and $20 off for 12 months. All went well with the sales person, I asked him repeatedly to send me an email confirmation of what I'm suppose to get (never got it). All seems to be good....

I had a hunch things would not go as plan, so 3 hours later I called to get service I called back about the email comnfirmation. Low and behold I was told I am only getting a rebate for $10 off for 12 months. After speaking to several people about it I got in touch with a supervisor, and she said she was able to see where the sales person added the $20 off for 12 months, and that she would PERSONALLY apply the rebate for me on my install date. All seems to be good....

Well Installer comes in on the 15 of Jan, I work WITH HIM to make things easier. I go in the crawl space with him, help him find the lines and run new ones, HOOK UP ALL THE UNITS MYSELF!, and even teach myself the ends and outs of the unit. I tip him a little because the work he did do was pretty good (plus he gives me a sad story about his life). The units are nice looking, and seem to work well. All seems to be good....

The Installer leaves at 7:50pm (he was there since 3:00pm), and I decided to record the Simpson's and watch another channel. Turns out I cant do it. I am only able to record one channel and that has to be the channel I am watching. I look on the back of the HDDVR and there is only one (1) coax cable hooked up to the back of it. There is a spot for 2, but only one is attached. SO.... I called Direct, the first lady said that oh, some units only need 1 coax cable hooked to it, and that she is unsure if this is one of those units or not and that she will have to send some one back out. I tell her that I am looking at the book for the unit and that it even has a picture of two (2) coax going in. She still says that she is not sure, and there is a "switch" that it's suppose to be hooked up to unit some how???I tell her I was with him during the install and saw no "switch" and that I will contact him. I called the Installer, and he says that he did not run a second cable from the dish to the receiver because it was not in the "work order". Also that if I wanted to hook it up that all I have to do is run another cable from the DISH to the receiver. He says you have the option to hook it up with one cable or two. He tells me it's not that hard to do. I hang up with him and call direct back. This time I get a different person on the line. This guys says that the installer is wrong, that he use to be an installer and that he should have set it up correct. He said he can send someone out on Friday to fix it and run the second line. I tell them that I took a day off work for this and I'm not going to take another day off. So the installer is coming on Saturday to FINISH the job for other installer.....

While I was on the line with direct I asked them about the HD Extra Pack (4.99). I was not getting any of those channels now, and according to the website the first 3 months are suppose to be free. The guy transfer me another department where I get yet another tech on the line. Well, she states that I should have the extra channels and that I will have them free until 02/26 and that she can get them on the account. I tell her well the site says free for 3 months. She says the free for 3 months started in September and ends in February. I tell her ok, well it being January, that I should have it free for 3 months from the date of install. She says its free till 02/26 and then I will have to pay for the extra channels! We go back and forth for about 10 minutes, until she decides to review my account. She tells me I have a bill for the regular price DUE on 02/04 and that I am only getting a $10 rebate for 12 months not the $20 for $12 or the refer bonus! I tell her , please look over it again, and that I have already been through this with them once. She says she is unable to find anymore info. I asked her why is there a FULL bill due on 02/04 when I just got service with you on the 1/15? She can't give me an educated answer. I tell the lady she has no idea how to do her job and I will call the supervisor that I spoke to last week ( I have her name, id number and ext) and get everything straighten out or my Lazy installer can march his happy butt back over to my house and undo everything he has done. He can keep the tip....

Any sugestions on what to do?

daisbrown,
That second line is required. The problem is that when DTV began using recorders they closed their eyes and wished with all their might "MAKE THE INSTALLERS TO TWICE THE WORK FOR THE SAME MONEY...and we will be good." As you noticed, running cable can be a challenge. Your tech could have used a double cable. Now another single is going to be required. If you are going to need more than four sat lines a wb6x8 multiswitch will be required.

The variation on this is, "sir, I don't have a recorder on the truck so I will install a standard receiver to get you going today. Another tech will come out and bring a recorder at no charge..OK?" The first installer gets credit for a complete installation and the second one gets credit for an upgrade that will probably require running a second line, often because the existing prewired line is already used.

Welcome.......keep grinding.....the system will work fine without service once you get this stuff settled.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'm going to call them back today and get it squared away.

D* is field testing a new technology so that only 1 line has to be connected to the HR2x series that will allow it to have all the functionality as if 2 lines were connected. It's called Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM). But as far as I know, it's not been released so yes, for now, you will need 2 lines connected to the back of your HR2x. Sounds like a bad/lazy installer to me.

You had a slack a** installer. He should have told that the DVR requires a second line. I always tell my customers that it requires a second line if they want to record one program and watch something different. If they decide they don't want the second line due to wall fish or don't want another one in their floor/wall then that is their choice.

You had a slack a** installer. He should have told that the DVR requires a second line. I always tell my customers that it requires a second line if they want to record one program and watch something different. If they decide they don't want the second line due to wall fish or don't want another one in their floor/wall then that is their choice.

AGREED! If the installer knew a dual tuner devise was going in, he should have been prepared and should have done ALL the work to get it work as designed.

I called them back today, the Direct TV person was really nice. He said I would get a $100 credit for the partial install. They also correct the HD channel problem. He also said he could see the $20 for 12 months and $50 refer rebate. I asked them to PLEASE send me some sort of email or letter saying what rebates I have. I just like to keep written records.

Well Daisbrown sorry to hear about your install. That was the installers fault. He knew damn well you need 2 lines. As far as the csr is concerned i have some run ins with them latley myself. But do be to hard on them they are only looking at a sreen in fromt of them. They are not aloud to think outside of that screen.

I had a situation that required minor service the tech came out didnt do the job right. He never called me back had to set up another service call. I asked if i could get the Hddvr for 99 for my troubles. She said no but could take 50 off the 199 price.

Then she started tacking on more prices for being a new customer shipping ect ect. The price jumped to $250.00

I wrote them an email telling them i wasnt happy with that and may cancel
Today i got an email back saying please call this number with this pin # to get the equipment i need for the best price. Will let you know how that goes.

Unfortunatly, whenever I ask for them to send me a email to confirm things they say that they cannot do that, as in they don't have the ability to do that.

Jimbo

Unfortunatly, whenever I ask for them to send me a email to confirm things they say that they cannot do that, as in they don't have the ability to do that.

Jimbo

I have not heard anyone successfully had things taken care of by email either. At least he got a $100 break for the half A#$$% install job.

As far as threatening to cancel, I don't know this would work or not when you are a new sub, they know you are bluffing because you will be charged $480 for breaking the 2-yr contract.

Yeah I wont Cancel, the picture quality is good, the equipment is good, just the install and everything else is bad. They gave me an option to get out the contract on my second call. Thats not what I want to do. Direct is way better than Dish and Charter, just my luck with installer and techs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)