Lets get a list of Receivers where Dolby Digital does not work.

hemway said:
I've got an Onkyo SR601, and I can't get the DD5.1 from the 811 to work with my Onkyo.

The Onkyo TX-SR600/601, like most all newer A/V switching gear, has mapped digital I/O. So the user has to make 100% sure that the digital I/O mapping table is setup correctly for each device. You will find this in the menu area. Here is the connection diagram as well:Composite Note that Cable/Satellite are designed to use Video3, so one would assume that it would use Component Input2 as well because the DVD takes Input1. Use the digital coaxial audio input for your DVD.

This Onkyo also does not provide an automatic audio - follows - video switching feature. This is a feature that ensures that by hitting just one button, audio and video are switched to the desired input device. This would be a wonderful and welcome change for their next-generation. It also would result in reclaiming about 1/5 the remote area for other uses as the INPUT SELECTOR section would not be needed. Also be aware that most of the mutli-channel DSP settings can be switched to 2-channel mode (turn that off).

Any brand & model with optical or digital coaxial inside 5 years will work. My buddy has the Onkyo TX-DS989ver2 and I have the Yamaha RX-Z9, both needed to be mapped. Is all a matter of reading the dreaded user guide and doing the proper setup.

Good luck.

Input from Dish

I have an 811 and a Kenwood 3080 and have experienced the issue of no DD, though analog works fine for all channels. In the past, I had been told by Dish that it was a SW issue but could get no timeframe for a fix.

I called back tongiht and was told that it was most likely due the fact that the 811 sends 96 kilohertz and that my receiver could not handle it. I was advised to buy a TOSlink adapter from Radio Shack.

Anyone heard this/had any experience with this workaround?

Thanks.

I have a Yamaha RXV-3300, Dish 508, Dish 811, brand new Dish 921, and AR optical cables. No issues with DD. The receivers are set to the DD/PCM setting so that whichever the Satellite receiver outputs is fed to the AV receiver. I receive DD on all of the HD and local OTA channels, although it is not always 5.1 (it can be 2.0).

DD or DD/PCM mode on the 811 does not work on my Technics SA-DX950. I have to use PCM mode on the 811 for the SD/HD channels. However, the Technics receiver works fine in DD 5.1 with my DVD player and Xbox. I called tech support and they said it was a known issue and they are working on a fix.

charper1 said:
Whats the issue in detail?

The issue for me, anyway, is that on DD channels (all HD channels and 300) I get no audio using the optical connection, only some random clicking and chirping noises, especially on ESPN-HD.

I get audio with no problems using RCA connections for audio. Also, audio works fine with the optical connection on normal stereo channels (all other than those noted above).

I have troubleshot and eliminated cables and my receiver as the issue. I have the option to select digital or analog inputs on my receiver, which works fine with my DVD player.

As noted above, Dish has now told me that the issue is due to the fact that they 811 sends 96 kilohertz (whatever that means) and that my receiver cannot handle that. I have a Kenwood 3080 receiver.

My Marantz SR4000 doesn't work with DD or DD/PCM from the 811. It works fine with the PCM output. In early June tech support told me "Our engineering department is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution. The tentative release date for the software to fix this issue is the middle or end of June." Yeah, end of June, right.

Trying to figure this out: So because some headunits don't have the capability to accept the current 96kHz mode instead of the past 44.1, 48, or 88.2 kHz, this has now become a DP811 software issue instead of a lack of features for some specific hardware? Heck I would think this would be a great research question when shopping for an A/V headunit. Well above is it THX or how many watts do I get. Granted this is a chip producer, but they should be able to provide info on a "set-top" solution for users that do not wish to upgrade to a more A/V friendly or feature-rich headunit. Here is a cut & paste from the VR-3080 users guide stating that is DOES NOT accept the 88.3 kHz or 96kHZ sample rate. Found at LIVE MANUALS

Digital Audio Section
Sampling Frequency - 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz
Input Level / Impedance / Wavelength
Optical -15dBm~-21dBm, 660nm±30nm
Coaxial 0.5Vp-p / 75 Ohm

HERE is the $199 Kenwood that offers 96kHz " 96kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters ensure that all your digital sources are treated right."

Read this and see what you might be able to find to help. Not sure what the costs are, but any headunit designed for A/V use should accept ALL sample rates.

Audio sample-rate converter integrates digital audio receiver, supports DVD, CD and broadcast formats.

To obtain more information, contact AKM Semiconductors, 2001 Gateway Place, Suite 650 West, San Jose, CA 95110 or call toll free at (888) 256-7364 or 408-436-8580.

Visit the company's Web site at http://www.akm.com.

AKM's new audio sample rate converter accepts digital audio data at 8-96KHz sample rates and converts it to another sample rate. This is particularly useful in automotive and consumer audio environments, where compatibiloity between DVD, CD and other sources is required.

New AKM Chip Simplifies Programming and Support for Consumer and Professional Audio Systems.

San Jose, California (PRWEB) August 4th, 2003 ? Asahi Kasei Microsystems Semiconductor, Inc. (AKM), a leading supplier of audio ICs for professional and consumer markets today introduced the AK4122, a 2-channel 96 kHz asynchronous sample rate converter with a built-in Digital Audio Interface (S/PDIF Receiver) for DVD, digital TV, PC and car Audio/Video applications.

The AK4122 two-channel 96 kHz Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter (SRC) that provides a combination of standard audio input ports plus a digital audio interface for DVD recorders and other audio/video equipment.

Audio is typically converted into digital data at 32KHz, 44.1KHz (CD), 48KHz, (DVD), or 96KHz (DVD-Audio) sample rates. Digital signal processors usually use a single sample rate when processing audio. In order to bridge the gap between signal processing and digital audio, sample rate converters are used. The AK4122 asynchronous sample rate converter can accept digital audio via standard DSP/I2S interfaces or S/PDIF or AES/EBU interfaces. The integration of the AES/EBU interface saves circuit board space and reduces system cost.

The AES/EBU section of the AK4122 offers the same high performance as the currently marketed AK4112B, 96kHz 24-Bit DIR including a four-input (4:1) Selector. The AK4122 can also detect non-PCM data streams like DTS and AC-3, while a CD Q subcode buffer allows the chip to easily read CD data.

The AK4122?s built-in PLL eliminates the need to provide an external master clock, and the SRC section provides two audio input ports and one output port.

Price and Availability
Available in an extremely small 48-pin LQFP package, AK4122 engineering samples are available now. The part is priced at $4.21 in 1K quantities. Evaluation boards and samples are available now directly from AKM.

About AKM
Asahi Kasei Microsystems (AKM) is a worldwide leader in CMOS mixed-signal ICs for the personal computer, professional audio, consumer electronics, automotive, and cellular phone industries. AKM is a subsidiary of the Asahi Kasei Corporation. a diversified technology, manufacturing and services company.

To obtain more information, contact AKM Semiconductors, 2001 Gateway Place, Suite 650 West, San Jose, CA 95110 or call toll free at (888) 256-7364 or 408-436-8580.

Visit the company's Web site at http://www.akm.com.

I called back tongiht and was told that it was most likely due the fact that the 811 sends 96 kilohertz and that my receiver could not handle it. I was advised to buy a TOSlink adapter from Radio Shack.
Anyone heard this/had any experience with this workaround?Thanks.

This is NOT correct. It IS the 96kHz issue, but you will either need a sample rate converter or a headunit (aka A/V receiver) that will accept ALL sample rates; not just the older ones.

Has anyone seen the announcement that Scott put at the top of every forum page. One point especially caught my eye:

"3) Speaking of signatures we have notcied quite a few signatures lately that are longer then the messages posted. Such signatures sometimes include every electronic device a person owns.
We ask that out of courtesy to dialup users that you shorten your signature.
We are working on a way for you to list your components in your profile."

Whew, then its a great thing mine is shorter than most of the posts I read. Let me know when that area is finished. Until then my signature keeps people from having to ask "what are you running"? AND, this list is far from EVERY device I own; its just the home theater area. Yet out of the kindness of my heart I will shorten my offensive signature so you (the ONLY one to ever complain about it) are not forced to see it. Please don't be a hater Gary; your posts seem to slant to the negative, snide and hatefull; lighten up some please.

Michael M said:
The issue for me, anyway, is that on DD channels (all HD channels and 300) I get no audio using the optical connection, only some random clicking and chirping noises, especially on ESPN-HD.

You're aware ESPN-HD has NEVER been DD, right? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)