Lets get a list of Receivers where Dolby Digital does not work.

charper1 said:
Trying to figure this out: So because some headunits don't have the capability to accept the current 96kHz mode instead of the past 44.1, 48, or 88.2 kHz, this has now become a DP811 software issue instead of a lack of features for some specific hardware?

In the mind of some. :rolleyes: Don't let facts get in your way, right?

charper1 said:
Yet out of the kindness of my heart I will shorten my offensive signature so you (the ONLY one to ever complain about it) are not forced to see it. Please don't be a hater Gary; your posts seem to slant to the negative, snide and hatefull; lighten up some please.

I was just passing on Scott's own request. You remember him. He provides this place for our enjoyment. So, it looks to me like I wasn't the only one "complaining". I, too, wish he would bring back the member's HT area. It was a great way to display our stuff.

And, I'm a lover, not a hater. Your sig wasn't offensive at all. Just mildly annoying. About the only thing missing was the type of cables you use, and the furniture in your HT. :D

The way it is now, is actually quite similar in length to my old sig.

You're aware ESPN-HD has NEVER been DD, right? :)

They send out a DD carrier (this will cause your DD light to illuminate) but they usually have only 2chnl stereo on it. Does you receiver accept the 96kHz sample rate? A process you can test by selecting ESPN-HD, then set your satellite to DD only. You will notice that although not in 5.1 the 2chnl dolby is still coming in. Broadcasting in DD does not always mean the audio will be more than 2chnl. we just all assume it should be 5.1 - in reality it is dependant on the material.

charper1 said:
Whew, then its a great thing mine is shorter than most of the posts I read. Let me know when that area is finished. Until then my signature keeps people from having to ask "what are you running"? AND, this list is far from EVERY device I own; its just the home theater area. Yet out of the kindness of my heart I will shorten my offensive signature so you (the ONLY one to ever complain about it) are not forced to see it. Please don't be a hater Gary; your posts seem to slant to the negative, snide and hatefull; lighten up some please.
I happen to agree with Scott and Gary although I am on broadband so download time is no problem for me.
It would seem that the pertinent devices might be worthwhile to list:
1. Dish receiver
2. OTA antenna used
3. AV receiver
4. TV or monitor/ whether HD and/or if it is projector, tube, or rear projection
It seems to me that anything else is just bragging.
Just my opinions though and I hope no offense is taken.

I am not offended at all. I just choose to see the signature thing in a positive light and think of the theater items listed there as enlightenment to others of products they might not have otherwise known of, or thought about adding into their own sysytem. Anyone that thinks it is bragging, is choosing to see things in the negative and that is their option. I like you list, but what is you A/V receiver without speakers? Why not list my DVR option as an alternative so users don't think they are forced to use the Dish version? These were the thoughts that led to my listing, but you can't please everyone. For each one that says list it all, there is one that says list none, and one that says limit it.

charper1 said:
...Anyone that thinks it is bragging, is choosing to see things in the negative and that is their option. ... For each one that says list it all, there is one that says list none, and one that says limit it.

Well, it does actually look a teeny weeny itsy bitsy tiny little bit like bragging, in a very minor way. Not being negative at all. That's the main reason I got rid of my laundry list sig.

BTW, I don't think anybody said you should list none, did they?

charper1 said:
This is NOT correct. It IS the 96kHz issue, but you will either need a sample rate converter or a headunit (aka A/V receiver) that will accept ALL sample rates; not just the older ones.

So, based on a cursory search for "sample rate converters" sounds like I'm better off replacing my receiver vs trying to salvage what I've got. Looks like at least $200 for a converter. That sound right?

Michael M said:
So, based on a cursory search for "sample rate converters" sounds like I'm better off replacing my receiver vs trying to salvage what I've got. Looks like at least $200 for a converter. That sound right?

I can't venture a guess to their prices as I only know they are for sale and have never needed to price one. I do know "good entry level" A/V receivers @ $179 include the full spectrum of sample rate acceptance. For connections sake the $299 - $349 entry level range would be more appealling, but $399 - $599 is a "TRUE" home theater entry level in my opinion on retail all-in-one receivers. You could call this place to check on the converter: RAM ELECTRONICS

These are a few minimum feature I would look for: (partial minimum list), some of the better all-in-one brands to me (in no order although I prefer Yamaha) Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony ES. NEVER a home theater in a box!

1. Full acceptance: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, or 96kHz sample rates
2. Connection for each source and 1 or 2 additional to expand -
each with s-video and composite (always on and switchable)
3. Full optical I/O patch panel (at least 3 in/1 out) and 2 coaxial in
4. DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo6, ProLogic2 decoding (not soundfields)
5. At least 100w per each channel RMS power (not peak) 6.1 or better
6. At least 2 in & 1 out 50 MHz switchable componant video w/ s-video conversion
7. Phono input if needed (sounds funny, but check not all have them now)
8. 32bit processor
9. On screen display

I hope some of this helps. Message me if you would like some ideas on specific A/V units. I used to install home theater systems until I got into network admin. so I have a ton of saved data.

GaryPen said:
DD5.1 from my 811 works OK for me with my previous Sony STR-DB930 and my current Sony STR-DA1000ES.

Gary,

Looking at the online PDF manual for the DB930, it looks like the sampling frequency is listed at 48kHz. If you were getting DD out of your 811 with it, it would seem to shoot down the 96kHz theory.

Besides, are there even any stations broadcasting or intending to broadcast audio at 96kHz? Given the bandwidth crunch from Dish, I wouldn't think they'd ever employ a higher-rate encoding scheme.

Scott

Yes. I got DD with my old DB930, and my current DA1000ES. I miss that old 930. It kicked ass. Better audio than the 1000. But, not as flexible in the video connectivity department. OTOH, the 1000ES doesn't have assignable digital audio inputs!!! Can you believe that nonsense?

SRW1000 said:
Looking at the online PDF manual for the DB930, it looks like the sampling frequency is listed at 48kHz. If you were getting DD out of your 811 with it, it would seem to shoot down the 96kHz theory.

Besides, are there even any stations broadcasting or intending to broadcast audio at 96kHz? Given the bandwidth crunch from Dish, I wouldn't think they'd ever employ a higher-rate encoding scheme. Scott

1. Please note page 10 of the user guide (digital component notes)that shows this unit accepts sample rates including 96kHz in the alternate optical and coaxial jacks (DVD & LD). This may have been his work around instead of using the TV/SAT jack.

2. Included audio encoding for TV broadcasting are already figured into the bandwidth providers need and the audio is a miniscule part of each chnls total use.

3. The output rate for the IRD really has little to do with what the source does as it can be demodulated and output at whatever the manufacturer chooses it just needs to be able to accept in incoming. 96kHz being the current DVD audio standard.

charper1 said:
1. Please note page 10 of the user guide (digital component notes)that shows this unit accepts sample rates including 96kHz in the alternate optical and coaxial jacks (DVD & LD). This may have been his work around instead of using the TV/SAT jack.

No workaround for me. (I hate having to use workarounds. Hence, my almost constant bitching about Dish gear.) The 811 went straight into the TV/Sat input.

I wonder if there are two revisions of the receiver that updated the TV/SAT to include 96kHz like its other jacks? These are the types of things makers rarely mention. Keeping track of revision updates is a pain.

charper1,

I think you missed my points.

charper1 said:
2. Included audio encoding for TV broadcasting are already figured into the bandwidth providers need and the audio is a miniscule part of each chnls total use.

3. The output rate for the IRD really has little to do with what the source does as it can be demodulated and output at whatever the manufacturer chooses it just needs to be able to accept in incoming. 96kHz being the current DVD audio standard.
I don't think Dish is transmitting any audio at 96kHz, nor do I think they plan on doing so since their source material isn't encoded that highly in the first place. If they did, they'd just be wasting precious bandwidth, which all comes from a finite pool.

Yes, the 811 could up-convert the signal to 96kHz, but what's the point of that? About all they'd be doing is robbing anyone with older equipment the chance to hear 5.1 surround sound. That doesn't sound like the philosophy of a company that still includes two sets of composite inputs and outputs on their HD receivers.

If it turns out that they are up-converting everything to 96kHz, I think I'd be more upset with them than if they've just manufactured a bunch of bum sets, since it indicates another serious design flaw with the 811.

Scott

I think the 96k answer is correct. Just checked my Panny SA-HE-70
manual and it states the receiver does not accept 96k. My symptom
is no audio on any HD or SD/DD when DD or PCM/DD is selected on the 811.

Bill Hawley

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)