Let's supposed what if we have a technological video codecs compression breakthroughs that coud fit in MW band?

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Just curious if that were to happen if we managed have a major technological breakthrough on digital video codecs compression that could fit in MW and HF bands?

Supposedly transmitting the bandwidth somewhere between 6 to 20 KHz, wide with supposedly video formats anywhere 480i or p, 576, I or p and maybe at least 720p in various video framerates from low as 20 to 60 FPs.

And just use it for news, weather and sports for long ranges transmission.

I bet you it would mess up DMA big time.

Reception wise, you get what get at merci of mother nature propication!:biggrin:cool::hatsoff

Reactions: Elsguy
I know the analog slow scan TV that's so 1960's ish to me, that's blast from past.

But we are talking new 21st digital video codecs here...

What I am talking about the future codec that its beyond HEVC or VCC if that can be done within the Moore's law.

We are just squeezing it out ever bit of juice with the best of any new codecs.

Just saying...:cool::hatsoff

Actually, isn’t ATSC 3 supposed to alllow for new CODECs? And isn’t there already a major improvement out over HEVC?

Seems to me, way back when I was working on a CS Masters, that someone calculated the maximum possible compression that could ever be done. It was some ridiculously low file size. But the decoding might take nine tenths of forever.

Yes I noted that ATSC 3.0 is well handled on any kind of codecs, with full 6 MHz or 5.5 MHz, however how about much more narrower bandwidth "Reduces Bandwidth " in terms of 6 to 20 KHz for Medium Wave and High Frequency band for long range digital videos broadcasts.

VHF low band can be modified for 100 to 500 KHz instead of 6,000 KHz "6 MHz" wide in order to punch through noise floor and other stuffs.

MW and HF can be usfull for filling in dead spots or back up, in case of satellite failures caused by solar storm or worse made by man for combat reasons in time of war.

Anyway, those are some interesting ideas for narrow digital video bandwidths can be put to use for longer wavelengths bands.:hatsoff

I don't think it's possible with the current compression tech. You need error correction bits packaged in to keep it from being a garbled mess at the least little error intercepted. By the time you add that in with the other parts of the packet, you've gone past your allotted bandwidth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)