Leyland to Step Down as Tigers Manager

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
He has been on one year deals. While I disagree with some of his moves will be interesting to see who comes in to hold that locker room in check. That was one of Leylands strengths with this team

I know many of the Tigers fans can't stand Leyland but I liked him. I was born in 1987 so I missed the 1984 world series. The Tigers were terrible for my childhood. They lost 119 games one year and never made the playoffs. We hired Jim Leyland and then made the playoffs in 2006. The Tigers won the AL Central 3 straight times in his last 3 years after never winning it once until that point. They made it to two World Series under him and to the ALCS the last 3 straight seasons.

I know that a lot of this had to do with Illitch opening up the check book and Dombrowski making some very good moves. Still I don't understand many Tigers fans and their short memory spans. I hear constant complaining on Detroit sports talk radio. People in Detroit have been begging for Leyland to be fired since about 2007. I am much younger than most of the people call in but I seem to be one of the few who remembers how bad this organization was before he was here.

I like Jim Leyland, but his time has come and gone and he is not the right man to lead this championship-level team to a championship, as indicated by our not winning the World Series last year nor getting ready to win another one this year. The Tigers need someone who will install a lot of discipline along with a healthy dose of fear for ones position on the team. They heed to hire a manager who will whip this club physically and mentally into shape.

Dusty to Detroit? ;)

The talk on Detroit sports talk is Dusty Baker or Charlie Manuel. I'm not thrilled with either choice but I'd rather have Manuel than Baker if those are the choices. They both have experience with winning teams and apparently they both want to manage again. The thing is Manuel is actually a year older than Leyland and Baker is only 4 years younger. Personally I think I'd rather have someone a little younger that is going to stick around a while.

I know many of the Tigers fans can't stand Leyland but I liked him. I was born in 1987 so I missed the 1984 world series. The Tigers were terrible for my childhood. They lost 119 games one year and never made the playoffs. We hired Jim Leyland and then made the playoffs in 2006. The Tigers won the AL Central 3 straight times in his last 3 years after never winning it once until that point. They made it to two World Series under him and to the ALCS the last 3 straight seasons.

I know that a lot of this had to do with Illitch opening up the check book and Dombrowski making some very good moves. Still I don't understand many Tigers fans and their short memory spans. I hear constant complaining on Detroit sports talk radio. People in Detroit have been begging for Leyland to be fired since about 2007. I am much younger than most of the people call in but I seem to be one of the few who remembers how bad this organization was before he was here.

I remember and I agree with you ....

Many, Many fans have called for Leyland to be fire for years now, I am not one of them ...
I have followed his career to a certain degree, he grew up in the suburb of Toledo where I grew up as well.
I have met a lot of his family from time passing thru with my job.

He has decided to step down and will take a position elsewhere in the Tiger organization.

There are a few things I didn't like about him, but they don't outweigh the positives he has delivered.

The talk on Detroit sports talk is Dusty Baker or Charlie Manuel. I'm not thrilled with either choice but I'd rather have Manuel than Baker if those are the choices. They both have experience with winning teams and apparently they both want to manage again. The thing is Manuel is actually a year older than Leyland and Baker is only 4 years younger. Personally I think I'd rather have someone a little younger that is going to stick around a while.

Won't be either of them, they sound like they want to get a younger manager according to Leyland.
Manual is older than Leyland, BAKER would be a HUGE MISTAKE.
We like our Starting pitchers just the way they are thank you.

There has been mentions of going to look hard at Kirk Gibson ... I like that idea.

I really wish Leyland had stepped down last year as I would have loved to have Francona step in.

Won't be either of them, they sound like they want to get a younger manager according to Leyland.

There has been mentions of going to look hard at Kirk Gibson ... I like that idea.

I really wish Leyland had stepped down last year as I would have loved to have Francona step in.

I agree about Baker. As Salsa has pointed out many times, Dusty is a pitcher killer! You don't want him messing around with that uber-talented starting rotation. Also agree with you on Tito. IMO, he would have been the PERFECT manager for that team!

I agree about Baker. As Salsa has pointed out many times, Dusty is a pitcher killer! You don't want him messing around with that uber-talented starting rotation. Also agree with you on Tito. IMO, he would have been the PERFECT manager for that team!

I also would be very happy with Mike Scosia, but I believe he just signed as well.

Gibson will be good for the Tigers. He was a Tiger for most of his career.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

As crazy as leyland would drive me with some of his moves, here is a nice article on him

Detroit — What will the next Tigers manager be like?

We don’t know at this point, we can’t, but he sure won’t be like his predecessor.

He sure won’t be Jim Leyland.

The new manager won’t have had a Studebaker Lark as his first car or driven it around the neighborhood on a summer’s day with the windows up so his friends would think the car had air conditioning when it didn’t.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131022/SPORTS0104/310220023#ixzz2iUW63qmO

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ne-kind?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

The one things the Tigers cannot do is to settle in the hiring process. Thankfully, they have two examples in the local area that should help dissuade them from hiring The Best Available Candidate, with the operative word in that sentence being available. Michigan wanted Les Miles to take over the program back in 2007 after Lloyd Carr retired. Unfortunately, their timing sucked as the offer was a year or two too late IMO. Instead, the hired Rich Rodriguez to be the team's head yutz and leadless them into the worst period of Michigan football in history. After RR's removal (2-years too late IMO) they were once again in need of a Head Coach. Jim Harbaugh would have been perfect for the job...if only they had fired Rich Rod a year or two earlier. Once again, timing is everything so they brought aboard Brady Hoke. While Brady Hoke is certainly a step or two above Dick Rod, I feel as though we once again had to settle on a Head Coach. We should have hired an interim coach and let me lead the program until a suitable candidate was placed on contract.

The Tigers would be wise to place the team on autopilot (which isn't much different than under the Leyland years) and not rush to hire "The Most Qualified Available Candidate" or it could cost them dearly. The Tigers have a World Championship caliber team (could very well have been back-to-back World Series Champions with the right Manager) and they should take their time and hire the right person for the job. And that job is winning more than one World Series IMO.

Illitch needs to do something, we want a world series win bad here in Detroit.

Unfortunarly for Illitch, his biggest mistake was allowing Tiger Stadium to be torn down and now we got to deal with the Curse of Tiger stadium which says that the Tigers won't win a world series until the Tigers return home to Michigan and Trumbull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)