LG 65UH8500 & Netflix on Hopper 3 - Pink / Magenta Screen

mackie99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 28, 2007
Sunny Southern California
I just purchased a new LG 65UH8500. When I start Netflix on the Hopper 3, it starts normally with the Netflix logo then the screen turn pink / magenta. If I turn the TV off then back on (without turning off the Hopper 3), I can watch Netflix normally. This happens every time I start Netflix the first time.

I tried switching HDMI ports (from 1 to 2 to 3), but it still happens. I'm going to try a new cable tonight.

Any suggestions?

I replaced the hdmi cable and it worked. When I tried to leave Netflix it came up with the pink screen again. I shut everything down and tried again and no pink screen. Let's see if it stays that way.

I've seen the pink screen flash on mine when opening Netflix, but it's never lasted for more than around a second. It happens pretty often, but doesn't cause any issues or real problems for me.

When it does it, it stays. I have to turn the tv off then back on. Since changing the HDMI cable, it really hasn't done it. Thanks for your input.

Rather than turning the TV off, you can change the TV to a different input, doesn't matter which one just as long as it actually "looks" at a different input than the one your Hopper is on. Now change it back to your Hopper's input and it will "handshake" again and all should be fine.
Our TV used to lose the audio when you went back to live tv after watching something that had been DVR'd and this solution worked.

Rather than turning the TV off, you can change the TV to a different input, doesn't matter which one just as long as it actually "looks" at a different input than the one your Hopper is on. Now change it back to your Hopper's input and it will "handshake" again and all should be fine.
Our TV used to lose the audio when you went back to live tv after watching something that had been DVR'd and this solution worked.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that if it happens again.

Well, it's still doing it. Switching inputs didn't help. When I went back to the Hopper it was still pink/magenta. The only thing that works is turning the tv off then on. Also, when it happens it logs me out of netflix and I have to log back in. That's a real PITA!!!!!

I don't know what else to do. I'll ask the tech about it when they come out to install the 4k Joey.

When you connect with an HDMI cable, the TV and the Dish receiver are supposed to auto-negotiate the proper resolution/frequency and color space. However, as you found out, this handshaking does not always work. When the screen is pink, it is because the color space is set wrong (YCbCr (YUV) vs RGB). Sometimes shutting off CEC on your TV helps. Oherwise, as dishstaller said, you need to make your TV perform the handshaking again (like unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable, turning the TV off/on, or switching inputs).